2009 Great SA TB Race

cincol

To cincol and Damhuisclan

We just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for all the work and effort you guys are putting into this TB Race!! We really appreciate your work and are so thankful that you took it upon yourselves to do all the hardwork! Thanks guys - you are the best!

It took us a few days to go through all the Racers and check out any pics that we liked and that was just to nominate photos for the Photo of the Month...so we know the amount of work involved to tally up the points, update the website, etc.

We are really enjoying the Race, but just get a little sad when Racers go missing!

Best regards

GEO936 :(

................... We are really enjoying the Race, but just get a little sad when Racers go missing!

Best regards

GEO936 :)

Thanks GEO

On the MIA racers - so far we have had 3 go missing officially. Looking at the movements [or lack thereof] there could well be a couple more that are MIA as they have not moved in longer than 3 months, but then they could still re-surface - one never knows. A coin of mine was missing in New Zealand and last week re-surfaced after 1 year and 1 day! Out of the blue I got the notification that it had been retrieved so there is hope yet for the dormant racers. :(

A nomination for Photo of the Month for October:

Photo taken by besem of Racers: Mom's Marathon Racer (Far-Jar-Hug) and Great SA TB Race - The Big Five (MnCo).

We like this picture with our National Bird - the Blue Crane. Just such a pity we don't get to see the Blue Crane in the wild so much these days. Thanks besem for taking this great pic!

10a34400-3ec5-40a2-981b-1cc9720d58d7.jpg

To cincol and Damhuisclan

We just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for all the work and effort you guys are putting into this TB Race!!

Best regards

GEO936 :D

Thanks!

It is my little bit of giving back to the geocaching community.

The cool thing is I can bring a little bit of what I do everyday (computer programming) into the game I like.

Also gave me a chance to learn a little of PHP which I had not worked with in a looooooong time.

Maybe I will enhance the pages later on so that any TB or any coin can be tracked automatically, and displayed on a map.

A question about dipping in FTFs: if the cache you FTF on is large enough to take a racer, are you required to leave it there, or can you dip it as well?

I'm just jumping the gun here, as I am sure cincol should be the one to respond on this question. But as far as I understand, the rules state that you get points as a FTF and you don't need to leave the Racer in the cache, even if the cache could accommodate it. I think if you wanted to leave it in the cache that you were the first to find, then that would be okay - I think the decision lies with you. However, if the cache is too small, you would need to move it on. cincol would be able to confirm/clarify.

A question about dipping in FTFs: if the cache you FTF on is large enough to take a racer, are you required to leave it there, or can you dip it as well?

This has been asked before - but here is the shortened version. This is the ONLY time that a TB may be dipped - so make use of the opportunity if you wish. :D

Another photo of the month nomination

Eager Beaver Geocoin owned by Urban Hunters taken by Pyoung1s in the UK. We struggled to "find" the coin in the pic, but it is there! We like the idea of the hiking rucksack...reminds us of the serious hikes we used to do when we were young and childless! Aaah the good old days .... :o

cdb35efe-58da-4ed9-bce0-a3c6ec4c90b3.jpg

Thanks GEO936 - it looks as though we can rely on you to post the nominations every month! Although I see all the pics myself I cannot nominate as I choose the winner!

It's a pleasure - we really enjoy going through the Racer pages to look at the pics. There are so many good ones, so we land up nominating a lot - sorry, makes your job a bit more difficult! :o

But, we've just realised that we have to keep the nominations until the end of the month, because we missed a few good ones at the end of September, so we've stopped looking at the pages and will do so again at the end of next week. Hope that is okay - as more nominations will be sent in then?

Please nominate at anytime during the month. The web page needs to be updated - it should read that the nominations will close at the end of the month. It is much better to get the nominations in during the month so that all can see them as well. Keep it up and keep them coming!! :o

Edited by cincol

Photo of the Month nomination

The Love Bug - taken by Wazat and owned by Wazat. We thought this was an interesting pic - how on earth did Wazat get the little guy on top of that huge piece of machinery? Well done!! Very creative you are Wazat!

918942b8-4deb-4411-9bd6-983077fc6e00.jpg

Thanks Geo936... Quite easy actually. This was at waist height as the excavator was about 2/3 of the way submerged in mud. I think I have another pic but look at the listing there are pictures of it on the caches page. Alas I will be sending an archive note through to the owner as it has since been er excavated from it's muddy grave.... GC1Z97C

Edited by Wazat

Please nominate at anytime during the month. The web page needs to be updated - it should read that the nominations will close at the end of the month. It is much better to get the nominations in during the month so that all can see them as well. Keep it up and keep them coming!! :)

Okay, will go through the bugs now, and will keep a watch on any new postings and will post the last or latest ones at the end of the month. I don't want to miss out on some good pics which are posted on 31 October!! :o

I like to extend a huge "Thank you!" to BruceTP for updating the KML and Location files every night.

Work has been keeping me a little to buzy, and Bruce graciously offered to take that part over from me.

I will still update the "Racing Ruler", photo of the month, and the scores.

Edited by DamhuisClan

I was notified, that the cache my "Money Bribe" postcard was in has been "relocated to unknown location" (aka muggled).

So one more TB out of the race.

That brings the total MIA to 4 with another 3 as maybes. ;)

Cincol

The "Money Bribe" TB got muggled together with my cache “Memorial Park”, and I placed the TB in the cache. Will it be OK if Anton sent me the TB COPY to place in cache when I have the cache back up and running, to continue the race?

I was notified, that the cache my "Money Bribe" postcard was in has been "relocated to unknown location" (aka muggled).

So one more TB out of the race.

That brings the total MIA to 4 with another 3 as maybes. ;)

Cincol

The "Money Bribe" TB got muggled together with my cache “Memorial Park”, and I placed the TB in the cache. Will it be OK if Anton sent me the TB COPY to place in cache when I have the cache back up and running, to continue the race?

No problem - provided that the TB starts from the same cache again.

:D:D:D:D:(:D:unsure::)

Please forgive me, but when I started reconciling I found that there are a heap of racers that have moved during the month but gc.com never sent any notifications. I will now have to reconcile each racer manually. I hope to have it all done and dusted by tomorrow.

:(:(:(:(:D:P:P:P

NOVEMBER DISCRETIONARY BONUS POINTS

15 points for any TB placed in a Limpopo Province cache

10 points for any TB with a photo of TB with a real helicopter or aeroplane

10 points for any TB left in a TB Hotel cache

Halfway Mark Bonus - 25 points for Int'l TB with most countries visited and SA TB with most provinces visited on 30/11/09 - [Owners to send me e-mail on 30/11/09 to claim bonus.]

All bonuses will apply for International Racers as well from now.

NOVEMBER DISCRETIONARY BONUS POINTS

10 points for any TB left in a TB Hotel cache

I see my Ferrari Racer is still in the Lanseria TB Motel. If theTB starts the month in a Hotel cache does it qualify for the points or only if it enters the cache during the month? :(

MONTH END - OCTOBER

There have been a few changes to the top contenders so far. Next month will be 6 months down and 7 months to go. Let's see what is in store for everyone!

TOP 15 OVERALL

1. Cacheachu

2. Sir Henry Morgan Pirate of the Caribbean

3. JustinDett's Tools of the Trade Geocoin

4. The gold diggers free state Ferrari

5. DiePienaars N.Ireland Racing Coin

6. 2009 Great SA TB Race - Flags of the World Post Card

7. Leopardo

8. 2009 Great SA TB Race ~ SA World Cup

9. Love Bug

10. 2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB

11.Eager Beaver Fever

12. Cabey's Tree Frog

13. Mom's Marathon Racer

14. Zulu Love Letter TB

15. besem's Purple Dragon in The Great SA TB Race

OVERSEAS RACERS

1. JustinDett's Tools of the Trade Geocoin

2. The gold diggers free state Ferrari

3. 2009 Great SA TB Race - Flags of the World Post Card

4. Leopardo

5. 2009 Great SA TB Race ~ SA World Cup

6. Eager Beaver Fever

7. Cabey's Tree Frog

8. Jemma's Green Gem

TOP 10 SOUTH AFRICAN RACERS

1. Cacheachu

2. Sir Henry Morgan Pirate of the Caribbean

3. DiePienaars N.Ireland Racing Coin

4. Love Bug

5. 2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB

6. Mom's Marathon Racer

7. Zulu Love Letter TB

8. besem's Purple Dragon in The Great SA TB Race

9. 2009 Great SA TB Race ~ The Big Five

10. Priceless Geocaching

PHOTO OF THE MONTH WINNER

Geitjie

Does point 3 below still apply? or am I just interpreting it differently.

Notes

1. Points for caches visited will only be awarded once for a cache. Once a bug visits a cache, any subsequent visits to that cache will not count for points.

2. Points for mileage will be based on the mileage counter on each bug's page.

3. Points for posting pictures will only be awarded once per photo per cacher. One cacher posting multiple pictures will not gain additional points, though it is encouraged if the poster desires to help document the travels.

4. Points for crossing state/provincial lines or international borders will be based on a straight line model, using the travel bug's map. No matter how a cacher travels as they carry the travel bug, a straight line between cache A and cache B will be used to determine which state/country lines are crossed.

5. Points for attendance at an event is only awarded once per event.

6. Points for being placed during an FTF requires that you be the FTF on the cache in question. Due to the increase in smaller caches, being FTF does not require that you leave the travel bug at the cache, only that you are the first to find it while the travel bug is in your possession. A photo will be needed as verification.

7. Any bugs "dipped" in and out of caches will forfeit those points. ie: NO dipping will be allowed at all. This also applies to multiple moves by any 1 cacher. A bug may only be moved ONCE by any cacher. An owner therefore may move his own bug, but only once.

Notes

1. Points for caches visited will only be awarded once for a cache. Once a bug visits a cache, any subsequent visits to that cache will not count for points.

2. Points for mileage will be based on the mileage counter on each bug's page.

3. Points for posting pictures will only be awarded once per photo per cacher. One cacher posting multiple pictures will not gain additional points, though it is encouraged if the poster desires to help document the travels.

As far as I understand it, if the same cacher posts multiple pics, you only get the 2 points once no more thereafter. If different cachers post pics of the Racer e.g. with animals, then it means your Racer earns a total of 7 points - 2 points for posting a pic and 5 points for the animal. If you were to be the same cacher doing all the pics, you would only earn 2 points for the first pic and no more thereafter. The points for each animal (5 points) would still apply though.

Hope I didn't confuse you any more, but cincol will be able to confirm.

Notes

As far as I understand it, if the same cacher posts multiple pics, you only get the 2 points once no more thereafter. If different cachers post pics of the Racer e.g. with animals, then it means your Racer earns a total of 7 points - 2 points for posting a pic and 5 points for the animal. If you were to be the same cacher doing all the pics, you would only earn 2 points for the first pic and no more thereafter. The points for each animal (5 points) would still apply though.

Surely rule 3, which states 1 photograph per cacher will count for points, means one photograph, whether it is a border crossing, animal or any other. Getting 5 points for a photograph for every animal means that all you have to do is take photos of animals. It would be very easy to find a few hundred animals.

This raises the question what do animals have to do with geocaching? I have travelled hundreds of kilometers with a number of 2009 racers to F.T.Fs, Earthcaches and National Parks to earn points for them. This was a challenge which I found very rewarding, but, I could have earned far more points for them by taking a few more phtographs in a National Park (or for that matter in the local zoo!).

B.t.w. I do not have any TBs or Geocoins in the race.

We are nearing the halfway mark of the race and I thought it might be oppertune to bring up the topic of categories for prizes. We currently have 4 unactivated geocoins up for grabs with perhaps another 2 unactivated TB dog tags as well. In the meanwhile I would like some ideas as to the 4 categories that we will award prizes. If the TB dog tags materialize then we can add 2 more categories. Here are my ideas.

Cat 1 - TB that travelled the furtherest. [international]

Cat 2 - TB that travelled the furtherest. [southern Africa]

Cat 3 - TB that earned the most bonus points.

Cat 4 - TB that was the most "unlucky". [A kind of wooden spoon? This will exclude MIA's.]

Any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.

We are nearing the halfway mark of the race and I thought it might be oppertune to bring up the topic of categories for prizes. We currently have 4 unactivated geocoins up for grabs with perhaps another 2 unactivated TB dog tags as well. In the meanwhile I would like some ideas as to the 4 categories that we will award prizes. If the TB dog tags materialize then we can add 2 more categories. Here are my ideas.

Cat 1 - TB that travelled the furtherest. [international]

Cat 2 - TB that travelled the furtherest. [southern Africa]

Cat 3 - TB that earned the most bonus points.

Cat 4 - TB that was the most "unlucky". [A kind of wooden spoon? This will exclude MIA's.]

Any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.

We think your categories are great. As a spare category (if the TB dog togs materialise), how about :

TB with the best/most photos (if that is possible to determine)?

Also, I will chat to Rolf, but it is possible that we may be able to sponsor another geocoin prize - but I will need to confirm first. If that works out, then we'll have another category for a coin prize!

Maybe for TB visiting:

- all the provinces;

- most countries;

- most FTFs;

- most caches;

- most EarthCaches (my favorite);

- best log;

- worst log;

- etc.

Just a few ideas.

Thank you to those who sponsor the coins/TBs.

Wow Bouts777 - those are GREAT ideas... we like them!! Maybe we'll also put together some ready made small caches which are complete with swag, logbook, etc. i.e. ready to be hidden. We'll sponsor those as prizes too - say three of them. :)

NOVEMBER MID-MONTH POSITIONS

TOP 10 OVERSEAS RACERS

1. Cacheachu

2. JustinDett's Tools of the Trade Geocoin

3. The gold diggers free state Ferrari

4. 2009 Great SA TB Race - Flags of the World Post Card

5. Leopardo

6. Klippies met Eish

7. 2009 Great SA TB Race ~ SA World Cup

8. Eager Beaver Fever

9. Cabey's Tree Frog

10. Jemma's Green Gem

TOP 10 SA RACERS

1. Sir Henry Morgan Pirate of the Caribbean

2. DiePienaars N.Ireland Racing Coin

3. besem's Purple Dragon in The Great SA TB Race

4. Love Bug

5. 2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB

6. Mom's Marathon Racer

7. Zulu Love Letter TB

8. 2009 Great SA TB Race ~ The Big Five

9. Worm's RoadRunner

10. Priceless Geocaching

Currently the Overseas Racer with the most countries visited is 2009 Great SA TB Race - Flags of the World Post Card with 7 and the SA Racer with the most Provinces visited is 2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB with 7 provinces.

Well done so far. Let's see if anybody can beat that in the next 2 weeks for the big bonus prize on offer this month. :)

Edited by cincol

NOVEMBER MID-MONTH POSITIONS

Currently with 7 and the SA Racer with the most Provinces visited is 2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB with 7 provinces.

Well done so far. Let's see if anybody can beat that in the next 2 weeks for the big bonus prize on offer this month. :)

I'd LOVE to claim the points - but Capital Racer only has 6 Provinces - still outstanding are NW / EC and WC.

So I'm sure that opens it up a bit?

I see the photo nominations have quietened down a bit this month.

Hee hee :DB):) I'm still busy loading pics to besem's Racer as well as ours...plus all else on the go, I haven't managed to go through all the Racers for nominating pics. I have a few in mind though...so as soon as I get the chance you'll see all the nominations coming through!! :)

Mid-Month Photo Nominations for November 2009:

besem's Purple Dragon:

5c129ee4-966b-4538-8bae-7ceb31eb97fb.jpg

taken by BruceTP.

We love aloes, and thought that the coin looked great in the aloe's leaves!

d0c19f4c-f16f-4e82-804f-2be1a93d301d.jpg

taken by BruceTP

Great shot, with a Jacaranda flower to cover the coin's tracking number and nestled in the fork of a Jacaranda tree with the view of the windmill in the background.

aa54d959-e6aa-4313-9714-ae99a8f81b01.jpg

taken by GEO936

Rolf LOVES submarines and this one has one of our lucky numbers on it, so we could not resist!

f7a2371b-b680-4ae1-be61-1d3c80f4f1f5.jpg

taken by GEO936

We love our indigenous flowers and this one was very special with its own honey bee! You have to look very close!

More nominations to follow ...

Edited by GEO936

Photo nominations for November 2009 continued ....

Wazat's Love Bug:

2a9404cd-5d7a-48a0-a058-ee16291f3956.jpg

taken by Wazat

Wow - great shot of little Love Bug on top of a REAL tortoise! Looks like Mr Tortoise didn't mind to have some more weight on his back! :lol:

36fa3a6d-c92f-4ded-86e1-c656d241f77d.jpg

taken by Wazat

Nice one of a pet Rat...thank goodness it's not our pet though (although Rolf did have a pet rat when he was growing up ...)! :)

33faccc1-1121-4c75-99fc-17e341d88a19.jpg

taken by Wazat

WOW - look at that huge croc on the far left....scary stuff...but nice shot!

More nominations to follow shortly! :D

Edited by GEO936

And a few more photo Nominations for the month of November 2009:

Travel in Style

d270f9b0-ffb6-48d1-96f7-85e49ae3f197.jpg

Taken by Team Ginger

We're impressed that you still managed to take pics with your Racer while on honeymoon!!! Well done...this was an interesting structure.

Rhino & Hedgehog N. Ireland 2008 Geocoin

f5f9319d-cadb-44a0-87c6-aad6ba659b93.jpg

Taken by rodnjoan

We love labradors, so we couldn't resist this one!

Arwen's Bling Bling Mini Cooper

15f4e343-25ce-46c0-aca1-4bf83c949b48.jpg

Taken by Skola and Lingiwe

This is a very nice pic - we liked the fact that it was taken through the fence, with half the fence post missing - very artistic!!

Vakashele

a080801b-bfe1-4907-8bf6-d159871aacb3.jpg

Taken by VanPayne

This is a cute one with a dairy cow!

Bouncing Smiley TB

7cc8eddd-1010-4438-95f8-c0ed591f155f.jpg

Taken by 34south

Nice landscape in the Western Cape.

We'll do a last check at the end of the month for any new pics. :lol:

Edited by GEO936