2009 Great SA TB Race

cincol

cincol....forgive me but I'm really CONFUSED!! I've been told that there will be no points for a Racer that attends an Event???? Huh??? Okay, as you know I'm not the brightest spark around, but I've re-read the rules and it says nothing about the Racers being taken to Events and back home again with the same cacher. The rules state that the Racer will earn 3 points for attending an Event - PERIOD!!!! That is why we made an extra special effort to drive all the way to the Tswaing Event in July, so that the Racers in our possession could benefit some points - even if they were just 3 points. Now I'm told "no dipping allowed of a Racer in an Event"???? When did the rules change??? How can a TB be dipped into an Event anyway, when there isn't even a physical cache there? I don't remember reading anything about a Racer needing to be left in an Event to be picked up by someone else! Are you changing the rules here and there to suit some people?? If yes, please could you communicate it or make things clear? We were never told that we were not earning points for the Racers when we attended the Event in July. :blink:

I think the rules explain the situation. Let's go through what you have said.

1. You can be told anything by anybody. The rules that were set on the web page will apply despite what anybody might tell you.

2. Correct - 3 points will be earned for attending an Event.

3. The racers in your possession at the Event did earn their points for attending the Event. There were 5 if I remember correctly.

4. Correct - no dipping is allowed. See Note # 7. Any bugs "dipped" in and out of caches will forfeit those points. ie: NO dipping will be allowed at all. This also applies to multiple moves by any 1 cacher. A bug may only be moved ONCE by any cacher. An owner therefore may move his own bug, but only once.

What does this mean then? Essentially if a TB is "dipped" then it will loose the points for that cache [1 point] plus ANY SUBSEQUENT points that would have been earned until that cacher places it. In other words, if a single cacher dips a TB into 3 consecutive caches and then places it into the 4th cache it will only start earning points again from the time it is next retrieved. What that boils down to is that the cache and mileage points will not be earned.

I endeavour to apply the rules consistently and fairly as far as possible. At the end of the day we need as few interpretations as possible and as little ambiguity as possible. There might be a slip up here and there - as we had in the biginning where I was not getting notifications from GC.com - but I think those little hiccups have been sorted out. Now it seems that only the rules pop up from time to time.

At the end of the day all I want to happen is that the TB's travel as far as possible with as few hassles as possible. If I can help the competitive spirit of the cachers out there to enjoy the experience a little more then I have achieved my goal. I hope that this clears the confusion.

I think the rules explain the situation. Let's go through what you have said.

1. You can be told anything by anybody. The rules that were set on the web page will apply despite what anybody might tell you.

2. Correct - 3 points will be earned for attending an Event.

3. The racers in your possession at the Event did earn their points for attending the Event. There were 5 if I remember correctly.

4. Correct - no dipping is allowed. See Note # 7. Any bugs "dipped" in and out of caches will forfeit those points. ie: NO dipping will be allowed at all. This also applies to multiple moves by any 1 cacher. A bug may only be moved ONCE by any cacher. An owner therefore may move his own bug, but only once.

What does this mean then? Essentially if a TB is "dipped" then it will loose the points for that cache [1 point] plus ANY SUBSEQUENT points that would have been earned until that cacher places it. In other words, if a single cacher dips a TB into 3 consecutive caches and then places it into the 4th cache it will only start earning points again from the time it is next retrieved. What that boils down to is that the cache and mileage points will not be earned.

I endeavour to apply the rules consistently and fairly as far as possible. At the end of the day we need as few interpretations as possible and as little ambiguity as possible. There might be a slip up here and there - as we had in the biginning where I was not getting notifications from GC.com - but I think those little hiccups have been sorted out. Now it seems that only the rules pop up from time to time.

At the end of the day all I want to happen is that the TB's travel as far as possible with as few hassles as possible. If I can help the competitive spirit of the cachers out there to enjoy the experience a little more then I have achieved my goal. I hope that this clears the confusion.

Okay, thanks cincol. That is how I understood the rules. So if a bug gets taken to an Event, 3 points will be earned. Irrespective of whether the bug is dropped off and picked up by the same cacher?

Okay, thanks cincol. That is how I understood the rules. So if a bug gets taken to an Event, 3 points will be earned. Irrespective of whether the bug is dropped off and picked up by the same cacher?

Yes, but remember it WILL forfeit the next move if it is retrieved from the Event by the same cacher. However, if somebody happens to grab it then it will be OK. :blink:

B)

Don’t miss The Gold Diggers Free State Ferrari, with those 500 points it can retire and still win the race.

B)

Only until the next TB arrives in Canada or the USA! :D Then the playing fields are level again. Believe me, a couple of the SA racers are suddenly up there amongst the overseas boys this month. I think it is going to be be VERY interesting come end September.

Just a question from our side, with regards to the bonus points for September. The bonus points just indicate that 15 points will be earned for each racer that "attends" and is photographed at an Earthcache. Does this mean that one cacher, can visit 6 different Earthcaches in the month of September and earn 90 points for the racer? :P

Also, by "national parks" do you mean the South African National Parks (SANParks) or any national park - like those in KZN (enzemvelo) and places like Pilanesberg, etc.? B)

As I understand it, the Earth Cache visited must be the first visit to it as well. Because one must add the answer sheet and the link of the find-log to the e-mail sent to Cincol. So I would guess that if the cacher can do 6 new Earth caches in the month and tag the TB along - it is valid. B)

I've just returned from spending a wonderful few days at Sun City and the Pilanesberg and snapped "Travel in Style" there. In my eyes, this is definately a SA National Park - although not part of SAN Parks.

:D

c3619b86-ee03-4309-8ae0-3c6f52d59bcd.jpg

...yes, that yellow spot IS the car!! :P

Edited by Team Ginger

Just a question from our side, with regards to the bonus points for September. The bonus points just indicate that 15 points will be earned for each racer that "attends" and is photographed at an Earthcache. Does this mean that one cacher, can visit 6 different Earthcaches in the month of September and earn 90 points for the racer? :P

Also, by "national parks" do you mean the South African National Parks (SANParks) or any national park - like those in KZN (enzemvelo) and places like Pilanesberg, etc.? B)

EARTHCACHES

This is a special incentive for September and for SA EarthCaches only. See the note on discretionary Bonus points - 15 points for a photo of a TB at any SA EarthCache. Needs to be substantiated with a photo of the TB at the EC site with the EC log. Link to be provided to cincol for scoring.

NATIONAL PARKS

Same applies here - this is a special incentive for September and for any SA National Parks only. 15 points for any TB with a photo showing proof of being at a SA National Park - sign

Nothing sinister at all - every month there are special bonus points and those who untilize the incentive for the month will benifit.

Good luck to all.

EARTHCACHES

This is a special incentive for September and for SA EarthCaches only. See the note on discretionary Bonus points - 15 points for a photo of a TB at any SA EarthCache. Needs to be substantiated with a photo of the TB at the EC site with the EC log. Link to be provided to cincol for scoring.

NATIONAL PARKS

Same applies here - this is a special incentive for September and for any SA National Parks only. 15 points for any TB with a photo showing proof of being at a SA National Park - sign

Nothing sinister at all - every month there are special bonus points and those who untilize the incentive for the month will benifit.

Good luck to all.

Thanks cincol. We just wanted to make sure that the same geocacher can earn points at multple earthcaches for a racer. In other words, the racer will not be penalised for points because the same person has done all the earthcaches, etc. So if a Racer earns 150 points just for Earthcaches in September, then it will be awarded those points regardless if the same geocacher earned them?

As I understand it, the Earth Cache visited must be the first visit to it as well. Because one must add the answer sheet and the link of the find-log to the e-mail sent to Cincol. So I would guess that if the cacher can do 6 new Earth caches in the month and tag the TB along - it is valid. :laughing:

Correct - and wazat needs to take note! :anibad::laughing::anitongue:

Thanks cincol. We just wanted to make sure that the same geocacher can earn points at multple earthcaches for a racer. In other words, the racer will not be penalised for points because the same person has done all the earthcaches, etc. So if a Racer earns 150 points just for Earthcaches in September, then it will be awarded those points regardless if the same geocacher earned them?

Correct - see post above in reply to Team Ginger. One thing that needs to be noted is that NO milage will acrue and neither will caches visited count - ONLY the EC bonus points will be earned.

So far a few cachers have made use of these deiscretionary points and there are going to be some big changes to positions at the end of this month! :anitongue:

TB RACE OWNERS PLEASE NOTE

There will be NO mid-month positions given this month. A cautionary notice :laughing: is also hereby posted that the month end scores and posts MIGHT be delayed a few days. I leave early Tuesday for a short holiday :anibad: in Hong Kong and Australia [caching as far as possible obviously] :laughing: and will only be returning 29 Sptember. Although I will have my laptop with me there will be limited internet coverage while I am away.

Please continue with the photograph nominations and submit then either on the forum or directly to DamhuisClan.

Happy caching and good luck to all the racers for the month of September.

Have a great holiday cincol - we hope you enjoy yourself!

Just a quick question.....will you be allowing a few days grace with the entries for September. I'm just referring to the Earthcaches and other things. If we go to caches on the 30th September, we will need a day or two to get our responses and logs together. Also, we will be going away and we are not certain of the internet coverage and would only be able to get our logs done the first weekend of October. So even though we would do the cache in September, the logs would only be able to be sent in on 3/4 October. Please let us know? Thanks!!

Just a quick question.....will you be allowing a few days grace with the entries for September. I'm just referring to the Earthcaches and other things. If we go to caches on the 30th September, we will need a day or two to get our responses and logs together. Also, we will be going away and we are not certain of the internet coverage and would only be able to get our logs done the first weekend of October. So even though we would do the cache in September, the logs would only be able to be sent in on 3/4 October. Please let us know? Thanks!!

The date that is logged as the date the cache was visited is the date that I will work with - even if it is sent in late as EC's need to be verified by the owner first and this could take time. That is the reason that I require the link to the log for EC points. You will get the points due, even if they are only allocated in the following month.

The date that is logged as the date the cache was visited is the date that I will work with - even if it is sent in late as EC's need to be verified by the owner first and this could take time. That is the reason that I require the link to the log for EC points. You will get the points due, even if they are only allocated in the following month.

Okay great - thanks cincol!! We will try to stop pestering you so that you can pack in peace for you holiday! ;)

Some more Photo of the Month nominations:

We forgot to add our comments for our previous nominations! So here goes for the latest ones:

We liked this one - reminds us of relaxed, fishing holidays....

6b5caa9f-7627-4935-904c-35f8451aee50.jpg

This is such a cute bunny - look at his ears! Must be the European version...

8d3a6528-0495-431b-9800-314f0e67d878.jpg

At least this cacher made an effort with a photo - pretty fish bowl, like we had when we were kids....

d65b34c4-443d-4073-bc58-64cf64099f08.jpg

We loved this one!! Some original thinking, much like the one that GreenJaM did in the first month of the race and it won the competition!!

1bb4c9dd-5d53-43b9-a73b-c5176066c276.jpg

Good luck to all the Racers!

Edited by GEO936

ATTENTION RACE OWNERS

First things first - I have 197 individual moves of racers to work through. Hopefully it will not take me too long to do. Please bare with me and I should have the September results up by the weekend.

Secondly, here are the discretionary bonus points for October.

5 points for any TB visiting any SA cache name containing H, F or 2

15 points for any TB visiting a North West Province cache

15 points for any TB with a photo showing proof of being at a SA National Park - sign

20 points for any TB visiting a cache in Port Elizabeth / Grahamstown / East London

10 points for any TB visiting a SA cache name containing an animal / bird name

Good luck and happy racing.

... 20 points for any TB visiting a cache in Port Elizabeth / Grahamstown / East London

I guess that "visiting a cache in Port Elizabeth" doesn't include a TB that's been sitting there in a cache since early July? :)

Yep, my Welsh Rugby Union keyring has stalled. I've tried a pleading email to the cache owner Ravenmeistre, asking him to take pity on it and move it on for me, but no response.

It's time to try my charms on ecurb h, the cacher who placed it there, to see if he can help.

<MrsB wanders off to grovell some more... >

:D

I have a question regarding the rules pertaining to grabbing or virtually retrieving and dropping a TB.

Here is the situation... One of my TB's was recently retrieved by a fellow cacher in a different cache from the one it is reported to be in. On checking the logs it would appear the TB was retrieved by a noobie cacher and placed in the second cache, without logging it on the TB page. I have attempted to contacted the noob with no response.

So my questions is, can I virtually retrieve it from the cache and place it in the second one, so that the cacher that now physically has it can log the find and move it along without any penalty?

I have a question regarding the rules pertaining to grabbing or virtually retrieving and dropping a TB.

Here is the situation... One of my TB's was recently retrieved by a fellow cacher in a different cache from the one it is reported to be in. On checking the logs it would appear the TB was retrieved by a noobie cacher and placed in the second cache, without logging it on the TB page. I have attempted to contacted the noob with no response.

So my questions is, can I virtually retrieve it from the cache and place it in the second one, so that the cacher that now physically has it can log the find and move it along without any penalty?

I presume you are referring to "The Big Five" TB. I will concur with Besem [the current holder] that you wait a while as the cacher may still log it in. If, after a week or so and no response to any e-mails, I would suggest that you contact me, as the administrator, and I will log it in and out of the original cache GC1M0VV. That way we can keep it all above board and not create situations where it could be construed that something unfair is happening. In the meanwhile you can let Besem know that he can place it - the mileage will automatically be updated when the correction is made - even afterweards.

I presume you are referring to "The Big Five" TB. I will concur with Besem [the current holder] that you wait a while as the cacher may still log it in. If, after a week or so and no response to any e-mails, I would suggest that you contact me, as the administrator, and I will log it in and out of the original cache GC1M0VV. That way we can keep it all above board and not create situations where it could be construed that something unfair is happening. In the meanwhile you can let Besem know that he can place it - the mileage will automatically be updated when the correction is made - even afterweards.

Thanks cincol,

I didn't realise besem had already been in contact with you. I'll wait a while longer and send another email in the meantime.

Glad to have you back in circulation cincol. Hope you had a good trip.

Agreed!! Welcome back from your break! Glad to have you back.

Thanks a lot guys. Didn't know that you missed me! :) It is great to be home again.

Quite frankly the Australians can keep Australia!! I have seen enough gum trees to last me 2 lifetimes and believe me, the SA caches do not need to stand back from the Australian ones when it comes to quality of placement and the locations. Most caches are placed "just because they can" - not my cup of tea. Almost every cache that had a TB indicated was without the TB! Seems as though nobody really worries about them. That said, we did meet a great bunch of cachers at an Event that they put on for us there - they went to a lot of trouble and even supplied the food - a barbie! :P

The quality of caches in Hong Kong was terrible. 90% are micros and most are in pretty dodgy places. OTOH they do not really have a lot of places to place caches due to the population density of the place.

On another issue, I have managed to get the race scores up to date and will publish them tonight. There are a few interesting developments that have occured this month and the positions look very different to last month.

Watch this space.

MONTH END - SEPTEMBER

All scores as at midnight 30-09-09

TOP 15 OVERALL

1. Cacheachu

2. The gold diggers free state Ferrari

3. DiePienaars N.Ireland Racing Coin

4. Leopardo

5. 2009 Great SA TB Race - Flags of the World Post Card

6. JustinDett's Tools of the Trade Geocoin

7. 2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB

8. Love Bug

9. Eager Beaver Fever

10. Sir Henry Morgan Pirate of the Caribbean

11. Zulu Love Letter TB

12. Mom's Marathon Racer

13. BruceTP's 2009 Great SA TB Race Medallion

14. Priceless Geocaching

14. Bouncing Smiley TB

OVERSEAS RACERS

1. The gold diggers free state Ferrari

2. Leopardo

3. 2009 Great SA TB Race - Flags of the World Post Card

4. JustinDett's Tools of the Trade Geocoin

5. Eager Beaver Fever

6. Jemma's Green Gem

TOP 10 SOUTH AFRICAN RACERS

1. Cacheachu

2. DiePienaars N.Ireland Racing Coin

3. 2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB

4. Love Bug

5. Sir Henry Morgan Pirate of the Caribbean

6. Zulu Love Letter TB

7. Mom's Marathon Racer

8. BruceTP's 2009 Great SA TB Race Medallion

9. Priceless Geocaching

10. Bouncing Smiley TB

PHOTO OF THE MONTH WINNER

BruceTP's 2009 Great SA TB Race Medallion [Photo taken by Capricorns77]

OCTOBER DISCRETIONARY BONUS POINTS

Here are the discretionary points starting midnight 30/09/2009. I forgot to put them up on Wednesday - apologies.

5 points for any TB visiting any SA cache name containing H, F or 2

15 points for any TB visiting a North West Province cache

15 points for any TB with a photo showing proof of being at a SA National Park - sign

20 points for any TB visiting a cache in Port Elizabeth / Grahamstown / East London

10 points for any TB visiting a SA cache name containing an animal / bird name

Good luck racers and happy travels.