2009 Great SA TB Race

cincol

GEO936,

Your photographs added to my Welsh Rugby union TB are much appreciated, as are the ones from Far-Jar-Hug (Great name - whatever does it mean? :P ) and ecurb_h.

MrsB

Happy to help with your racer. Far-Jar-Hug comes from the 3 surnames in our family. Farr, Jarvis and Hughes (my stepson's surname, my wife's maiden name and my surname).

Regards

Derek (Far-Jar-Hug)

GEO936,

Your photographs added to my Welsh Rugby union TB are much appreciated, as are the ones from Far-Jar-Hug (Great name - whatever does it mean? :P ) and ecurb_h.

MrsB

Happy to help with your racer. Far-Jar-Hug comes from the 3 surnames in our family. Farr, Jarvis and Hughes (my stepson's surname, my wife's maiden name and my surname).

Regards

Derek (Far-Jar-Hug)

Quite a straightforward explanation then...

There was me thinking it was some strange pigeon-English word, or maybe a direct translation of some Bushman phrase describing carrying water from a distant water hole. :P

MrsB

Quite a straightforward explanation then...

There was me thinking it was some strange pigeon-English word, or maybe a direct translation of some Bushman phrase describing carrying water from a distant water hole. :D

MrsB

I like hearing where team names come from, as one gets a glimpse of what was close to the person/team at the time they choose their team name.

:D;)RULE VARIATION - Race elv's ;):laughing:

To date I have had 3 logs of photograph submissions for FTF's at EarthCaches. As a TB cannot be dropped at an EarthCache and be recorded as such [cache, mileage, etc] I will accept a note being logged for the TB that indicates the EarthCache GC number [so that I can verify that it is an FTF was logged by that cacher while the TB is in their possession] date of find, photograph of TB at site and any other supporting info. Although I cannot allocate any points for mileage and the cache, points will be scored for FTF and the photograph provided I can verify the FTF.

The TB's that have scored the points for EarthCache FTF's so far are:- :D

MnCo's 2009 Great SA TB Race ~ SA World Cup

Raslin's Gluteus Maximus

sidecar spotter's Leopardo

Good luck and happy racing.

Edited by cincol

:D;)RULE VARIATION - Race elv's ;):laughing:

To date I have had 3 logs of photograph submissions for FTF's at EarthCaches. As a TB cannot be dropped at an EarthCache and be recorded as such [cache, mileage, etc] I will accept a note being logged for the TB that indicates the EarthCache GC number [so that I can verify that it is an FTF was logged by that cacher while the TB is in their possession] date of find, photograph of TB at site and any other supporting info. Although I cannot allocate any points for mileage and the cache, points will be scored for FTF and the photograph provided I can verify the FTF.

The TB's that have scored the points for EarthCache FTF's so far are:- :D

Raslin's Gluteus Maximus

sidecar spotter's Leopardo

Brilliant - I like this rule as an Earthcache enthusiast. If Leopardo is lucky - we may get another one next week - just 2000km between us - and the possibility of being beaten to it. We will see - pity abouth the miles - but c'est la vie.

Quote:"The TB's that have scored the points for EarthCache FTF's so far are:- biggrin.gif

Raslin's Gluteus Maximus"

Thanks cincol. Although it wasn't my TBs, they did enjoy the 4 FTFs on the day. And I do hope that some cacher will do the same for my coin.

MileStone: 1000 race page views!

Woohoo!

We have just past 1,000 page views on the bug race pages!

And it seems like we are a little short of the 16.4% we need at the end of July to reach the distance of the moon by the end of the race. But there are another two weeks left, so I am holding thumbs.

AUGUST BONUS POINTS

:huh::laughing: Here are the bonus points that can be earned for August :yikes::)

15 points for a photo of a TB at a Tri-Nations Rugby game

5 points for any SA cache name containing X, V or B

10 points for any TB visiting a Western Cape cache [those already there will not get bonus points unless they move to another W Cape cache during the month]

15 points for any TB with a photo showing proof of being at a SA National Park - signboard is a good proof

20 points for the TB that has travelled the furtherest in South Africa for the 3 months Jun - Aug [determined at midnight on 31 August and any TB overseas will NOT qualify]

Edited by cincol

JULY SCORECARD

DanhuisClan has completed the scores and position update and the website and can be seen by clicking HERE

After 2 months of racing the scores are foerever changing and the excitement increases. Some TB's have made huge leaps and bounds and others have gone NOWHERE - like mine!! :D I enjoy seeing how the TB's are progrssing everyday and look forward to my e-mail notifications to see who has gone where.

End of August is the end of the 1st Quarter and you will have seen that there are a few special incentives for the racers this month. [see post before this one.]

Good luck to all and happy racing.

Edited by cincol

(rules preclude me from doing it).

As far as I know you are only precluded from nominating a photo from your own TB in the race. Just as Trev did, on the sunset photo (if memory serves me correctly) you may nominate a photo of another TB in the race.

Was that photo not accepted then? That is not my TB!!!! It is my brothers TB so surely I am allowed to take a photo and nominate it? I did not read anything abou that phot being disqualified or anything!

So Race Coordinator take note if you did not count that photo. I am not the owner of that TB!!!!!!

Trev

Edited to add

Ooops ! I misunderstood Anton!!! He wa using my poting the picture as an example of something allowed. My mistake!

Edited by trevorh7000

We nominate this one of Leopardo...nice one CH!

87fcee7a-180a-424f-a629-7988787ec140.jpg

That is a Boswellia (or frankinsence) tree. They only grow in a small number of areas in the wolrd. With some of the highest quality frankinscence coming from the Dhofar region.

We placed a cache near here (see Patience of Luban (GC1WTBQ) )

Thanks CH...that's why we liked the pic. It has something that we may never get to see first hand! Looks like you had a fantastic holiday!! Any you took tons of pictures - thanks for all the effort, as we know that the race owner will be very chuffed!

We just wanted to say a BIG Thank You to BruceTP for the awesome pics of our Racer with the birds in his garden. We LOVE birds and birdwatching, and we are very impressed with the super shots - thanks for all the effort. It is just unfortunate that we cannot nominate any of the pics!! We would've loved to though! :D

We just wanted to say a BIG Thank You to BruceTP for the awesome pics of our Racer with the birds in his garden. We LOVE birds and birdwatching, and we are very impressed with the super shots - thanks for all the effort. It is just unfortunate that we cannot nominate any of the pics!! We would've loved to though! :mad:

2 have already been nominated so you have a "double" chance of winning! You just need to hold thumbs that the judges vote favourably in your direction. I suppose you can always revert to the "lore of Africa" and PM the judges for the address to leave the "motivational incentives" to increase your chances!! :drama::mad::D:mad:

Happy racing!

Edited by cincol

MID MONTH POSITIONS

This month I have decided to show the Mid-Month Positions slightly differently. Due to the large number of racers now overseas I am giving the positions of the overseas and local TB's seperatly. [Remember that the local TB's qualify for various incentives that the overseas participants do not.]

OVERSEAS TB's

1. The gold diggers free state Ferrari

2. JustinDett's Tools of the Trade Geocoin

3. 2009 Great SA TB Race - Flags of the World Post Card

4. Eager Beaver Fever

5. Leopardo

6. Jemma's Green Gem

LOCAL TB's

1. Mom's Marathon Racer

2. BruceTP's 2009 Great SA TB Race Medallion

3. Sir Henry Morgan Pirate of the Caribbean

4. Worm's RoadRunner

5. DiePienaars N.Ireland Racing Coin

6. Zulu Love Letter TB

7. Love Bug

7. Bouncing Smiley TB

9. Nash'Geo, God of Travel and Exploration

9. Cacheachu

11.Pongo the Racing Dalmatian

12. Arwen's Bling-Bling Mini Cooper

13. 2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB

13. Ferrari F2007 Racing TB

15. Mrs GliderS Racer

Looks quite different to last month's mid-month.

Happy racing and Good Luck to everyone.

Edited by cincol

Do people use the Bug Locationson the race pages?

I am thinking, of maybe adding the "Near" portion of the bugs into the display, if people are actually using the map to view.

P.S you can click (hold) and drag a new are to zoom into.

Clicking on the country's background zooms to the country.

Clicking on water zooms out to the earth

Hovering along the edges, on a zoom is allows to scroll.

Would a few major cities help in knowing where the bugs are?

Any other suggestions of making the map better (if being used)?

Do people use the Bug Locationson the race pages?

I am thinking, of maybe adding the "Near" portion of the bugs into the display, if people are actually using the map to view.

P.S you can click (hold) and drag a new are to zoom into.

Clicking on the country's background zooms to the country.

Clicking on water zooms out to the earth

Hovering along the edges, on a zoom is allows to scroll.

Would a few major cities help in knowing where the bugs are?

Any other suggestions of making the map better (if being used)?

We make use of the map, but we have found that we cannot zoom in enough to see where all the Racers are (especially in the areas where many racers are near to each other). We don't know what would work better, but perhaps if you make the changes that you are thinking of (i.e. giving names of major cities nearby), then perhaps we can "test drive" it and see if it improves the feature.

Personally, it is great to have a "graphical" representation of the bug locations, so we vote to keep the or a map of sorts.

Best regards

GEO936

We make use of the map, but we have found that we cannot zoom in enough to see where all the Racers are (especially in the areas where many racers are near to each other).................

If there are a lot of TB's near each other - or any other place you want to zoom in to - then click the mouse and a block will appear. Drag that block over the area you want to see in more detail and it will then zoon in once you release the mouse button. That works great for me.

We make use of the map, but we have found that we cannot zoom in enough to see where all the Racers are (especially in the areas where many racers are near to each other).................

If there are a lot of TB's near each other - or any other place you want to zoom in to - then click the mouse and a block will appear. Drag that block over the area you want to see in more detail and it will then zoon in once you release the mouse button. That works great for me.

Thanks cincol...I figured it out and it does work very well!! The few cities or points really do help with seeing where the bugs are close to. Thanks Damhuisclan! I really like the map, so please keep it!

RACERS THAT GO M.I.A. DURING THE RACE

Should a racer have the misfortune of going MIA during the course of the race the following will apply :-

1. Each TB has a "copy" tag that comes with it. This may be used as a replacement.

2. The copy TB will need to be placed in the SAME cache as what the original TB was when it went MIA.

3. There will not be a forfeiture of points, but the TB must restart at the same point as what it was lost. This is for administration purposes. If it is not possible to post the TB to a fellow cacher in the vicinity of the cache who could place it on your behalf then it cannot restart.

4. If it goes MIA in the possession of a cacher, then you would need to get the replacement to that cacher who will then have to place it.

As far as I am concerned I would like as many TB's as possible to finish the race. I have noticed that a particular race in the US at the moment, after less than 6 months, has a 20% attrition already! That is bad. I trust that this will help TB owners who have been unfortunate enough to have their TB's go MIA. To date we have had 2 go MIA [confirmed and not just suspected] - both in South Africa. :rolleyes:

Good luck and happy racing to all.

RACERS THAT GO M.I.A. DURING THE RACE

Should a racer have the misfortune of going MIA during the course of the race the following will apply :-

1. Each TB has a "copy" tag that comes with it. This may be used as a replacement.

2. The copy TB will need to be placed in the SAME cache as what the original TB was when it went MIA.

3. There will not be a forfeiture of points, but the TB must restart at the same point as what it was lost. This is for administration purposes. If it is not possible to post the TB to a fellow cacher in the vicinity of the cache who could place it on your behalf then it cannot restart.

4. If it goes MIA in the possession of a cacher, then you would need to get the replacement to that cacher who will then have to place it.

As far as I am concerned I would like as many TB's as possible to finish the race. I have noticed that a particular race in the US at the moment, after less than 6 months, has a 20% attrition already! That is bad. I trust that this will help TB owners who have been unfortunate enough to have their TB's go MIA. To date we have had 2 go MIA [confirmed and not just suspected] - both in South Africa. :rolleyes:

Good luck and happy racing to all.

Can we reconsider the point 4 &2

a) If the cacher takes it MIA - i.e. does not answer mails and drops oput of cacching - it will be difficult to raide them to start the TB going again. Can I suggest we can get it to a nearby cacher and get the TB going in a nearby cache. The penalties involved in time etc. should negate any possible points that the TB may make on a move of a few km's either way.

:huh: Similarly - if a cache is muggled with TB's in it and it goes MIA - it may not be reactivated - therefore can not start in the same cache. Can a similar cache nearby be used - again any points would be minimal in comparison to time involved to get the new TB copy to the point of "reignition"

Just my 2c worth

Oh dear. It seems that your Fairy has suffered the same fate that we experienced with newbie cachers who "took" our Planisphere Coin last year. It took us 3 months to get our coin back, and when we found it (in the incorrect cache according to what he had logged), it was in pieces!!! Rolf had to glue and fix the coin to get it operational again. The good news is that we did get it back eventually. We emailed the guy daily via the Groundspeak website. Eventually he came back to us. He had signed onto the GS website with Hotmail account which he did not check regularly. Then he went away on holiday, so that is why there was such a delay.

When we bombarded him with that daily email reminder, we put in our cell number and asked that he please contact us urgently. He eventually did contact us and then we had his contact number.

In this entire process, Groundspeak was unable to help us in any way. They did not have any contact info. nor would they give it to us even if they did.

The advice we can give is that you must not give up to get your Racer back or in action again. Unfortunately the Free State is not the best of provinces for a Racer, but if he can get it into a busy cache or post the Racer back to you, that would be great.

Good luck and we hope he responds soon enough!

Edited by GEO936

If this is any consolation the Fairy is not the only racer that is holed up in somebody's swagbag at the moment. My records show at least 6 that have been picked up but not moved for over a month. At least 2 have been "idle" in swagbags for nearly 3 months! :D:(

On a more personal note I have a large number of TB's scattered around the world and have similar experiences with a number of them. Cachers pick them up and then couldn't be bothered to place them again. By the same token I have had a couple of "success" stories as well with one that has suddenly being placed after 1 full year. I have also had one out of circulation after it was left in the ashtray of a vehicle that was involved in an accident and 6 months later was discovered when the car was repaired. So, sometimes they do get found again and other times they die!

Edited by cincol

Oh dear. It seems that your Fairy has suffered the same fate that we experienced with newbie cachers who "took" our Planisphere Coin last year. It took us 3 months to get our coin back...

I was going to start a new thread for this question, but seeing as it's been braught up here anyway, What would be considered a reasonable amount of time for a TB to be MIA before I start questioning people or should I start right away? One of my TB's (not a racer), according to the logs is not in the cahce it's reported to be in. Only one other cacher has been there since it was placed (a reletive newbie based on the number of finds) so I'm thinking that maybe they took it and forgot to log it, but on the other hand, maybe they didn't and I won't know until I aks I guess.

Some where in the Guidelines it suggests that cachers should move trackable items along within a couple of weeks but, in practice, not every cacher can manage to do this. I'm happy enough if mine move every month - at least I know they're alive. If one seems to have been "in someone's hands" for a couple of months I start to feel a bit twitchy... I'll usually email them after 3 months, just with a "polite enquiry".

However... We're talking in a Race Topic here! :D

... so, I'd probably contact them after a month, in this scenario.

MrsB goes off to see where her W.R.U. racer is at the moment...

Hmmmm. Still sitting in a 4* difficulty near Port Elizabeth. Hey ho! That's the luck of the TB game. :(

Edited by The Blorenges

Oh dear. It seems that your Fairy has suffered the same fate that we experienced with newbie cachers who "took" our Planisphere Coin last year. It took us 3 months to get our coin back...

I was going to start a new thread for this question, but seeing as it's been braught up here anyway, What would be considered a reasonable amount of time for a TB to be MIA before I start questioning people or should I start right away? One of my TB's (not a racer), according to the logs is not in the cahce it's reported to be in. Only one other cacher has been there since it was placed (a reletive newbie based on the number of finds) so I'm thinking that maybe they took it and forgot to log it, but on the other hand, maybe they didn't and I won't know until I aks I guess.

When we found out that the coin had gone missing, without it being logged out of the cache, we contacted the guilty cacher immediately. The problem was that it was showing as inventory for the cache, and other cachers were flocking to the cache to get the coin (it's a really nice coin). Only to find that it wasn't there - talk about annoying!! So we reckon you should contact the Newbie cacher and just strike up a chat about the traveller. Then help him/her to get the coin checked out of the cache and into a new cache.

We once had to help another Newbie cacher (step by step over the phone) to check the coin into a cache so that we could retrieve it. Sure we could've grabbed it, but then it wouldn't have got any mileage.

SEPTEMBER DISCRETIONARY BONUS POINTS

Here are the discretionary points starting midnight 31/08/2009.

15 points for a photo of a TB at any SA EarthCache. Needs to be substantiated with a photo of the TB at the EC site along with the EC log - not just a note posted. Link to be provided to cincol for scoring - no link no score! [Please note that NO mileage points will be acrued to this as TB's cannot be dropped in EarthCaches and hence no mileage]

5 points for any SA cache name containing Z, K or J

15 points for any TB visiting a Northern Cape cache

15 points for any TB with a photo showing proof of being at a SA National Park - sign

10 points for any TB visiting a cache belonging to GlobalRat or Fish Eagle

Good luck racers and happy travels.

Edited by cincol

MONTH END - AUGUST

TOP 15 OVERALL

4. Eager Beaver Fever

5. Leopardo

6. DiePienaars N.Ireland Racing Coin

7. 2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB

8. Mom's Marathon Racer

9. Sir Henry Morgan Pirate of the Caribbean

10. Worm's RoadRunner

11. BruceTP's 2009 Great SA TB Race Medallion

11. Zulu Love Letter TB

13. Cacheachu

14 Nash'Geo, God of Travel and Exploration

15 Love Bug

OVERSEAS RACERS

4. Eager Beaver Fever

5. Leopardo

6. Jemma's Green Gem

TOP 15 SOUTH AFRICAN RACERS

1. DiePienaars N.Ireland Racing Coin

2. 2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB

3. Mom's Marathon Racer

4. Sir Henry Morgan Pirate of the Caribbean

5. Worm's RoadRunner

6. BruceTP's 2009 Great SA TB Race Medallion

6. Zulu Love Letter TB

8. Cacheachu

9. Nash'Geo, God of Travel and Exploration

10. Love Bug

11. Bouncing Smiley TB

12. Pongo the Racing Dalmatian

13. Ferrari F2007 Racing TB

13. Arwen's Bling-Bling Mini Cooper

15. Mrs GliderS Racer

PHOTO OF THE MONTH WINNER

2009 SA Bug Racer - The Capital TB [Photo taken by iPajero]

TB WHICH TRAVELLED THE FURTHEREST IN SA FOR 1ST 3 MONTHS BONUS WINNER

The Krugers' Nash'Geo, God of Travel and Exploration = 2651 km

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL AND GOOD LUCK FOR NEXT MONTH.

Happy and safe racing to all.

Edited by cincol