2009 Great SA TB Race

cincol

I might be going to Gauteng the week after the start. Will I still be able to submit an entry into the race after it started?

Hi Bouts777

cincol is on holiday in the KNP, so it might take a little bit of time for him to answer. Give it another day or so, for him to check up on the forum, and let's see what he says. If you can join, then we will have 21 TB's in the race. Woohoo!!!

3. Points for posting pictures will only be awarded once per photo per cacher. One cacher posting multiple pictures will not gain additional points, though it is encouraged if the poster desires to help document the travels.

Can we have some clarification on this one. In the (unlikely) event that the same cacher posts photos for two or more different types of bonus points, lets say "a photo taken at a provincial boundary" and "a photo taken with an animal", do both gain points or only the one posted first?

Hi All

Sorry about the silence but I have been sitting in the Kruger Park with extremely limited cell phone coverage and little to zero internet action. I am running my internet and e-mail off my cell phone at connection speeds that make the old 56k modems look like the speed of light! :P

many people have contacted me and said that they will bring their racers to the Event. That is fine - I do not have an issue with that at all except that those people should just send Anton an e-mail with the TB number so that he can place the entrant onto the web page in the meanwhile. One late entrant has been "applied" for - that being Bouts777. He needs to get the number to Anton for inclusion as no entants will be included AFTER the satrt date at all. Once the race has started Bouts777 will know the location of the starting line and will need to place his racer in the cache once he gets to Gauteng.

I know that a few racers are in the post to me and I sincerely hope that the SA Postal Services are kind to them and deliver them before Saturday. All racers posted will be taken with me to the Event on Sunday. All other race entrants will need to look for myself and Anton at the Event as early as possible so that we can "process" the entrants in terms of photographs [of the racers and not the owners B) ], and the other administrative things that need to be done.

As far as the web page goes, Anton has put a lot of effort into it and there is still a lot of work that needs to be done. At the risk of early publication and some "trade secrets" of the other racers being divulged, the actual URL will not be given out to anybody until after the Event. This way we can ensure that the site is up to date and that nobody can say that their ideas were taken by anybody else. There are some very innovative racers that have been entered and we would hate their "competitive advantage" to be compromised prior to the race starting. I am sure that all will agree to that.

The web page will also contain all the rules so that they can be referred to at all times by whoever wishes to do so. There is no "template" that has been provided for entrants to attach to their racers as that is all part of innovative creation to give your particular racer an edge over the next one. In short you need to make your racer more desirable to the cacher who finds it over another racer that might be in the same cache.

A question was asked about photosgraphs. Any photos that could lead to bonus points will be considered. I personally like to encourage photos with my travels and will attempt to do the same for others by always trying to post photos with my logs. I hate 4 word logs for both caches and TB's/GC's. I hope this helps.

The web page will be updated at least once a month with the standings of the racers - scores, positions, etc - so that all can keep tabs of the progress. This is all notwithstanding the fact that both Anton and myself are cachers who also happen to have a job that needs to be done in between our caching activities!! :ph34r: I am sure you will all understand that we also go on holiday sometime during the year as well. :(

At this stage all I would like to add is that I am looking forward to meeting you all on Sunday in Gauteng and to get the show on the road. Until then - Happy caching!!

Edited by cincol

Roll on - hopefully a full house and celebrate a South african win in the S14 too (just a pity it isnt the Sharks - but hey we cant have it all).

I will be in the air while the event is on - winging back from Barcelona via Paris - I will clink a glass to the start of the race and look forward to the year ahead.

Some thoughts... since this is still the "Ideas" thread.

With so many racers, maybe we should create 3 or 4 groups.

So that even thoug my TB might be 13th overall, it is top in its "class".

What these "Classes" are I am not to sure.

This could make it more interesting, and exciting from month to month.

Some thoughts... since this is still the "Ideas" thread.

With so many racers, maybe we should create 3 or 4 groups.

So that even thoug my TB might be 13th overall, it is top in its "class".

What these "Classes" are I am not to sure.

This could make it more interesting, and exciting from month to month.

I tink that is where cincol's discresionary points and prizes for other categories will come in at the end of the year?

I am sitting and watching and listening and reading and making some notes about all these little suggestions that have been made. :( Let us say that there will be a few "surprises" every now and again to keep the excitement and interest going. :ph34r:

Edited by cincol

Here are a list of the Owners with the amount of entrants into the race:

Dan404 1

Carbon Hunter 1

DamhuisClan 2

cincol 1

besem 1

The Blorenges 1

BruceTP 1

The Gold Diggers 1

Glider Slider 2

W@lly 1

GEO936 2

MnCo 2

DiePienaars 1

Urban Hunters 1

Wazat 1

Rhino and Hedgehog 1

HeinG 1

RobbertsR 1

Raslin 1

timmo1977 1

Total Entrants 24!

If your name is not in the list, and you want to / have entered a TB / Coin into the race please email me your TB number of your coin/TB (Not the verification number)

Few more sleeps to the great kick-off

Edited by DamhuisClan

Dan404 1

Carbon Hunter 1

DamhuisClan 2

cincol 1

besem 1

The Blorenges 1

BruceTP 1

The Gold Diggers 1

Glider Slider 2

W@lly 1

GEO936 2

MnCo 2

DiePienaars 1

Urban Hunters 1

Wazat 1

Rhino and Hedgehog 1

HeinG 1

RobbertsR 1

Raslin 1

timmo1977 1

JPMZA 1

MeganZA 1

Total Entrants 26!

And there was a time when I was wondering if we would break the 16 entrants from last year.

I think we will get to 30 on Sunday

Edited by DamhuisClan

Will there be TB tags for sale on Sunday?? I need to buy one before I can enter my bug. :-)

Hi Team Ginger.

I know that Quintus (geocacher.coza) did say that he needed to sell off some geocoins, but I have not heard from him. He does sell TB dog tags too, but I am not sure if he will be bringing some of these along with him on Sunday. Unfortunately, we don't have any spare tags of our own (we are using our last spare for the race entrant). I hope someone else will be able to bring along a spare dog tag to sell to you.

Cheers!

Silvia

I have the same problem. More or less.

I already have a coin which I want to submit but I want to have a TB in the race as well. The attachment is ready but I'm missing a tag.

And I'm going to place my coin/&TB in the starting cache next week and not with the event.

Which means that I must buy a TB tag somewhere very quick or only start the coin.

Anyone with ideas?

In any way, I'm looking forward to this years race and wished I could make the event as well.

Greetings from the Lowveld.

Bouts.

We now have 39 Bugs in the race!!!

anlufu, and Blue Nora included, Team Ginger excluded.

Team Ginger, W@lly will be there. You can buy a TB from him

(I will ne buying one for Blue Nora as well)

Bouts, if you want I can buy one for you. I live close the the Airport, and then you can come and pick it up from me.

Give me a call today (while at the event on 083-226-7406)

Although I am sure I am going to be very busy today, I will try and find the time to take some video of the event, and the cache where the actual kick-off will happen. This will then be uploaded to youtube.

I also hope to add the link to the TB Race pages I have created just before we leave from the cache where the actual race kick-off will happen.

This will hopefully happen around 12H00 ZA Time (GMT +2).

Yahoo!!!!

Off we go - good luck to all - enjoy the race - I've already put most of the bugs on a watchlist - so U'm looking forward to the fun again.

Let's hope the race leaders are close and there is plenty of action and dramw (a bit like the Super 14 this year - excpet we hope the Bulls TB doesn't do it!!! hee hee) [:D]

Well what can I say - this has surpassed all our expectations. We have 46 TB's that are racing as of today and 1 late entry [maybe 2] from Bouts777 in White River that will arrive at the start line sometime during the week. That will give us 47 or 48 in the final tally. :D

What a fantastic turnout at the Event in Randburg as well - it was really great. One of the waiters at the venue decided to throw the towel in after about an hour as he couldn't take the pressure. The other waiter was smiling as all the tips went his way! :D

I will be in a position to give a list of all the racers to the participants for discovery purposes as soon as I get home next week - please bare with me on that one. In the meanwhile a huge THANK YOU to GEO936 for their arrangements at the Event, DamhuisClan for his involvement with the webpage [& Crystal Fairty for hosting the webpage] and lastly to all the participants in the race. I hope and trust you will enjoy watching the racers in the next year as they all race around the world. :)

Looking forward to the first race update at the end of June. I will contact GlobalRat and see if we can get a listing pinned on this forum specially for that.

Happy caching.

Edited by cincol

FIRST DISCRETIONARY BONUS POINTS

Any racing TB that has a photo taken at a Lions Test Match [field or spectators in background] or against a NEW Springbok jersey or a Lions jersey will receive 10 bonus points. This will be valid for the entire duration of the Lions Tour to South Africa.

Good luck to all.

Hmmm - me thinks if the Fairy doesn't wake up soon I'm going to have to go and wake her up myself!!

She's obviously having way too much fun in the hotel...

Nope she is no longer there. I am keeping her hostage till I find a Springbok Jersey.... And that seems to be some task. Will update web site soon...

I am quite happy with this thread staying as is. All the results, rules, etc will be on the webpage and that is where the "action" will be. This thread can be used for the discussions relating to the race. I will post the scorecard and progress on the thread every month as well for those who don't go to the webpage.

What says the rest of you?

Yahoo!!!!

Off we go - good luck to all - enjoy the race - I've already put most of the bugs on a watchlist - so U'm looking forward to the fun again.

Let's hope the race leaders are close and there is plenty of action and dramw (a bit like the Super 14 this year - excpet we hope the Bulls TB doesn't do it!!! hee hee) [:lol:]

The Blue Bull TB will show you a thing or 2!!

:D

To avoid the concern with regards to TB's currently in my possesion. I am moving them during the next week to caches in my area. So expect to see logs on them soon. I am not going to be specific in which goes where, will do a lucky draw and first out the bag goes where I am. Caches will be in either KZN or FS. Best of luck....

Race Page has been updated!

Far-Jar-Hug sent me an email with a link to a PHP script where one can create an image of a TB and the miles traveled for it.

I hacked away at it all day, and modified to an extent where I could use it for our purposes.

Just looking at miles (and remember all miles must still be validated by the judges!) it looks like The Love Bug is ahead.

Although it seem Pongo might beat it, if a manual km update it done for it.

I still want final approval from Crystalfairy if I may run the additional scripts on the web site.

Please keep the suggestions for the race page coming....

Getting back to the FTF's. Just before we stir, upset or freak out any of the contestants (including ourselves) :laughing: Can TB's be "dipped" in any size FTF container (with the confirming photo of cause)? Or should it be a micro. We came across small caches that coins can fit, but not TB's. Does this mean we have to leave the coin, and "dip" the TB's, which seem to give the latter a bit of an advantage?

I think the Race page looks great! I'm very impressed with all the detailed pics and links to further info.

Now, all I need is someone to kick-off my WRU TB :laughing:

MrsB :D

Hi MrsB....we retrieved your Racer today and took a photo of it with a New SA Rugby Jersey which has earned it an extra 10 points!! Will post the photo soon. We will also be placing your Racer in a new cache tomorrow, near to Pretoria. Good Luck!

Getting back to the FTF's. Just before we stir, upset or freak out any of the contestants (including ourselves) :laughing: Can TB's be "dipped" in any size FTF container (with the confirming photo of cause)? Or should it be a micro. We came across small caches that coins can fit, but not TB's. Does this mean we have to leave the coin, and "dip" the TB's, which seem to give the latter a bit of an advantage?

cincol will be back at the PC Monday night ... will need to wait till then for the answer.

I think the Race page looks great! I'm very impressed with all the detailed pics and links to further info.

Now, all I need is someone to kick-off my WRU TB :laughing:

MrsB :D

Hi MrsB....we retrieved your Racer today and took a photo of it with a New SA Rugby Jersey which has earned it an extra 10 points!! Will post the photo soon. We will also be placing your Racer in a new cache tomorrow, near to Pretoria. Good Luck!

Just finished some Chinese take-away... then checked the email notifications...

Thanks, GEO936!

MrsB socool.gif

Getting back to the FTF's. Just before we stir, upset or freak out any of the contestants (including ourselves) ;) Can TB's be "dipped" in any size FTF container (with the confirming photo of cause)? Or should it be a micro. We came across small caches that coins can fit, but not TB's. Does this mean we have to leave the coin, and "dip" the TB's, which seem to give the latter a bit of an advantage?

On the question of FTF's - here is what the rules say :

6. Points for being placed during an FTF requires that you be the FTF on the cache in question. Due to the increase in smaller caches, being FTF does not require that you leave the travel bug at the cache, only that you are the first to find it while the travel bug is in your possession. A photo will be needed as verification.

I will require the photo of the racer at the cache to be posted and will confirm via the logs that the racer was in your possession at the time of the FTF.

KISS