2009 Great SA TB Race

cincol

The current "Around the World in 80 Ways" Race is almost at an end. I was thinking about some ideas for the next race. Let's open a discussion and see what develops out of the ideas.

My current idea is a race from a particular city in SA to another particular city in SA - BUT here is the "kinkel in die kabel". The TB must visit at least 2 other continents prior to arriving at the destination city. Bonus points will be awarded for each additional country beyond the mandatory 2. Scoring will be kept as simple as possible.

Scoring

1. For every cache it’s placed in 1 point

2. For every 50 miles [as per GC miles] traveled 1 point

3. For posting a picture 2 points

4. For crossing US or Aus state/SA or Canadian provincial lines 2 points

5. For crossing international borders 3 points

6. For attending an event cache 3 points

7. For being placed during a FTF 4 points

8. For visiting specific countries mentioned prior to start 5 points

Notes

1. Points for caches visited will only be awarded once for a cache. Once a bug visits a cache, any subsequent visits to that cache will not count for points.

2. Points for mileage will be based on the mileage counter on each bug’s page.

3. Points for posting pictures will only be awarded once per photo per cacher. One cacher posting multiple pictures will not gain additional points, though it is encouraged if the poster desires to help document the travels.

4. Points for crossing state/provincial lines or international borders will be based on a straight line model, using the travel bug’s map. No matter how a cacher travels as they carry the travel bug, a straight line between cache A and cache B will be used to determine which state lines are crossed.

5. Points for attendance at an event is only awarded once per event.

6. Points for being placed during an FTF requires that you be the FTF on the cache in question. Due to the increase in smaller caches, being FTF does not require that you leave the travel bug at the cache, only that you are the first to find it while the travel bug is in your possession.

7. Any bugs "dipped" in and out of caches will forfeit those points. ie: NO dipping will be allowed at all. This also applies to multiple moves by any 1 cacher. A bug may only be moved ONCE by any cacher. An owner therefor may move his own bug, but only once.

Any ideas/suggestions to add? Anybody interested in administering the race?

Edited by cincol

Almost too soon to talk about another race. I am exhausted worrying about our bugs!

I like Discombob's model. I think it works/worked very well. The team caching restrictions must just be extended worldwide. I saw the potential for what happened with the Pienaars coin long ago - in fact I was hoping it was going to happen to one of mine.

Verruektefrau certainly has earned credentials as an expert. At the least we would welcome her input as to how other races are done - I understand she has experience in that line.

Few cachers take the trouble to study the rules which is a pity. I am in two minds: I like the complicated rules, but see sense in keeping it simple as well.

I see the cache having to end in a specific city in SA as a problem. Some TB's will have connections/owners that travel more frequently that could give the bug an unfair advantage. I think too many of the bugs will be out of the loop by the time the race finishes. I picked up a bug that had to make its way to Sentinel View the other day - it got there about 4 years too late!

Edited by the pooks

I also support the "simpler is better" idea.

What about the idea of hiding the rules of the race from the general public? In other words, on the bug's page, don't mention that it is in a race at all, just say it wants to travel quickly.

This will simplify the bug's mission page a lot, which I think is an advantage if you want to get the bug moving quickly, plus it would allow for awarding points even for dipping. Sure, it would make the race a lot more random, but... isn't it pretty random to start off with? q:

Almost too soon to talk about another race. I am exhausted worrying about our bugs!

I like Discombob's model. I think it works/worked very well. The team caching restrictions must just be extended worldwide. I saw the potential for what happened with the Pienaars coin long ago - in fact I was hoping it was going to happen to one of mine.

Verruektefrau certainly has earned credentials as an expert. At the least we would welcome her input as to how other races are done - I understand she has experience in that line.

Few cachers take the trouble to study the rules which is a pity. I am in two minds: I like the complicated rules, but see sense in keeping it simple as well.

I see the cache having to end in a specific city in SA as a problem. Some TB's will have connections/owners that travel more frequently that could give the bug an unfair advantage. I think too many of the bugs will be out of the loop by the time the race finishes. I picked up a bug that had to make its way to Sentinel View the other day - it got there about 4 years too late!

Although I personally enjoy the complexity of the rules - it makes the admins job very difficult unfortunately. Perhaps a smaller group would be easier for complex rules?

For a larger group - I think simpler is better.

Good point about the getting back to a certain cache to end the race. Perhaps a better idea is to get bonus points for reaching certain caches on its journey? No penalty if it does not make it? Or perhaps have a race - in that it needs to go via certain waypoints - no bonus points - and the winner is the first TB at the end - not restricted to a time period - so if it does take 4 years - so be it?

Good point about the getting back to a certain cache to end the race. Perhaps a better idea is to get bonus points for reaching certain caches on its journey? No penalty if it does not make it? Or perhaps have a race - in that it needs to go via certain waypoints - no bonus points - and the winner is the first TB at the end - not restricted to a time period - so if it does take 4 years - so be it?

OUCH!! :anibad::lol: The poor administrator then has to sit it out for years until a TB reaches a destination! Perhaps I was a bit optimistic about that suggestion.

I like the idea of bonus points for certain "waypoints". Cities could be nominated as waypoints for bonus points rather than a specific cache within a city. The winner of the race will then be a bug that has accumulated the most points after a given period - ie: 1 year. That way it is easier to monitor/administer and the contestants don't get "bored" either.

Another idea will be that the bug can start from any point in SA rather than a particular city or cache. That way it will be easier for everyone to participate and then bugs don't have to be posted/sent to a particular point. Can you imagine 50 TB's having to start off from 1 cache! :unsure: The poor cacher that arrives at the cache and has to choose which TB to take! :unsure:

So far it looks as though there might be enough interest for this idea to be taken further. I will also venture to say that I would be happy to administer the race on condition it is a simplified scoring system - the details of which we can thrash out here if necessary. Starting dates can be debated as well. I am sure that a few of those competing in the "Around the World in 80 Ways" Race will be interested once the race ends next month as well.

This is starting to look like fun. :huh:

OUCH!! :lol::huh: The poor administrator then has to sit it out for years until a TB reaches a destination! Perhaps I was a bit optimistic about that suggestion.

I like the idea of bonus points for certain "waypoints". Cities could be nominated as waypoints for bonus points rather than a specific cache within a city. The winner of the race will then be a bug that has accumulated the most points after a given period - ie: 1 year. That way it is easier to monitor/administer and the contestants don't get "bored" either.

Another idea will be that the bug can start from any point in SA rather than a particular city or cache. That way it will be easier for everyone to participate and then bugs don't have to be posted/sent to a particular point. Can you imagine 50 TB's having to start off from 1 cache! :anibad: The poor cacher that arrives at the cache and has to choose which TB to take! :unsure:

So far it looks as though there might be enough interest for this idea to be taken further. I will also venture to say that I would be happy to administer the race on condition it is a simplified scoring system - the details of which we can thrash out here if necessary. Starting dates can be debated as well. I am sure that a few of those competing in the "Around the World in 80 Ways" Race will be interested once the race ends next month as well.

This is starting to look like fun. :o

I'll be in.

<snip>

I will also venture to say that I would be happy to administer the race <snip>

I propose Cincol as the next administrator - congratulations!

:unsure:

No problem. I think we can wait until the excitement of the current "Around the World in 80 Ways" has worn off and then we can get the new "2009 Great SA Race" up and running. :)

My suggestion would be that we aim for kick-off on 1 June 2009. that will give everybody enough time to think about it and to get their TB's sorted out and posted / sent / brought to the start line. I will be in South Africa in May so that will be a good time to do it and then all TB's will start from the same place. I will find a decent cache for the race to start from - somewhere in central Gauteng.

Closer the time I will give the address for TB's to be posted to and also where to drop them off if that is a preferred delivery system. I will be happy to make a drop-off in Pretoria and Johannesburg with selected cachers whom I will ask.

Any suggestions / ideas will be welcomed.

No problem. I think we can wait until the excitement of the current "Around the World in 80 Ways" has worn off and then we can get the new "2009 Great SA Race" up and running. :D

Any suggestions / ideas will be welcomed.

If it's going to be called the Great SA Race, maybe we should keep the race within SA? There's been a race along similar lines running here in the Netherlands, and it's been working quite well. The rules would be

1.) 1 point for each traditional cache visited

2.) 2 points for each multi/unknown cache visited

3.) 3 points for a different type cache visited (excluding, of course, virtuals and earthcaches)

4.) 5 points for each visited province (max 5 per province)

5.) 15 points if all the SA provinces are visited

6.) 1 point for each discovery or "grab" from another cacher

The above points only applies if the bug is inside the boudaries of South Africa. If it leaves the country, it scores no points.

Bonuspoints: (points for each bonus can be scored only once)

1.) 5 points for a picture of the bug at a provincial boundary

2.) 5 points for a picture with a holiday figure, say Father Christmas or the Easter Bunny

3.) 5 points for a picture of the bug at a major line of longitude/latitude (tropic of capricorn, the 30E time line)

4.) 5 points for a picture of the bug with an animal, other than a cat or a dog.

5.) 5 points if the bug re-visits a cache, while travelling at least 200km between visits.

I think some of these rules could be combined with the suggestion of the OP.

Thanks besem - I am sure that we can/will incorporate some of your ideas. I personally like the idea that the race is exclusively within South Africa. That could make it very interesting indeed. We will iron out the finer points as we get closer to the start date. Let those ideas roll in.

I must say - although a good idea - I prefer my TB's to travel internationally - I really got a kick out of my bugs getting to places like Hong Kong in this current race.

So I like the bonmus points for bugs remaining in SA - but I'd also like to see the opportuntity to see them travel.

We could always look at ways of awarding bonus points to the TB's that remain in SA as a sort of incentive. However, those that do travel internationally will still score points. A TB travelling internationally in a South African race will be advertising the country at the same time so perhaps should not be penalized with no points at all.

We could always look at ways of awarding bonus points to the TB's that remain in SA as a sort of incentive. However, those that do travel internationally will still score points. A TB travelling internationally in a South African race will be advertising the country at the same time so perhaps should not be penalized with no points at all.

That could be done, yeah. Maybe give half the points for international caches, or 1 point per cache, irrespective of the type. Or we could stipulate that points for discoveries and the bonus points can only be scored within SA.

I know of 2 TB's with SA links in that race (mine and cincol's) - perhaps there are more.

it's a good race - I agree. Just wish my TB will get out of the starting blocks!

Mine's in there as well! It was grabbed by a cacher who has 1 find to his name to date... uh oh...

I know of 2 TB's with SA links in that race (mine and cincol's) - perhaps there are more.

it's a good race - I agree. Just wish my TB will get out of the starting blocks!

Mine's in there as well! It was grabbed by a cacher who has 1 find to his name to date... uh oh...

Well at least yours is out the blocks - mine is still in the starting cache! :D

Just stumbled on this thread and was quite embarrassed to find my name mentioned a few times here...

Actually I don't have much experience with travel bug races at all, just with our local one, with is simply for most miles in a year.

But from the perspective of somebody who watched the 2008 SA race with great interest after finding one of the race bugs in a cache, here are my 2 cents:

When setting the rules, always remember that you are not the people who move your TBs around.

Pooks is right - cachers don't read the rules. At least the vast majority don't.

Therefore I would advise against very complicated rules and any rules that penalize a TB for the cacher not reading the rules (like multiple hops by one cacher counting against the TB or something like that).

The goals/rules need to be easy to understand for your typical cacher who just grabs a TB from a cache and doesn't know what its mission is until he gets home and looks at the TB's page.

I would recommend some very tangible goals that can be easily spotted on the TBs page. In the 2008 race, the words were great fun and something that your typical finder can handle. Maybe something like having to get a picture taken with certain objects would work.

Basically it boils down to how much luck-based and how much thought-based you want the race to be. In my opinion, the more complicated the rules, the more luck-based it'll end up being, as few people will bother trying to understand the rules.

Unless of course you somehow manage to keep the TBs within your own area and it's mostly the race participants who are moving bugs around, in which case the more complicated the more fun. But I don't think you could get that by setting TBs free for anyone to grab.

OK everyone - I have accepted the challenge and the time has come to get this one kick-started. I will be in South Africa during May 2009 and I think that a good date to start the race will be 1 June 2009. The race will be called the 2009 Great SA TB Race. I already have 4 TB's registered and entered into the race! :antenna:

I will select an appropriate cache for ALL racers to start from. That way they will all have an equal and similar advantage [or disadvantage] for that matter. I will select a cache in Gauteng as that is where the majority of cachers are and also has a high concentration of caches as well. It is also the smallest province so racers should get extra points quickly for crossing provincial boundaries too! :antenna:

All TB's will need to be posted to me to arrive well before the start date of 1 June. In fact I will place the racers in the starting cache over the weekend of 30 May. I would suggest that each TB has an appropriate tag attached to identfy it as a racer. Preferably I would like each TB racer to start off with a zero mileage as that will make my job easier. However, currently activated TB's with mileage will also be accepted.

The address to post all TB's to is:-

Peter Little

Postnet Suite 4077

Private Bag X82323

RUSTENBURG 0300

[Please send an e-mail to me via my profile when you have posted your TB so that I know how many have been posted and can keep track of those that have arrived.]

Here are the rules that will be used

As this is a South African Race there are incentives for the TB's to stay in SA. However, they will still score points for travelling overseas.

Scoring

1. For every cache it’s placed in = 1 point

2. For every 50 miles [as per GC miles] traveled = 1 point

3. For posting a picture = 2 points

4. For crossing US or Aus state/SA or Canadian provincial lines = 2 points

5. For crossing international borders = 3 points

6. For attending an event cache = 3 points

7. For being placed during a FTF = 4 points

8. For visiting specific countries mentioned prior to start = 10 points per country visited [swaziland, Lesotho, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, any Middle Eastern Country, any South American country] these bonus points can only be scored ONCE per country visited

9. For visiting ALL 9 Provinces in South Africa = 25 points

10. For a picture of the bug at a provincial boundary = 5 points

11. For a picture of the bug at a major line of latitude (tropic of capricorn, equator, etc) = 5 points

12. For a picture of the bug with an animal, other than a cat or a dog = 5 points

Notes

1. Points for caches visited will only be awarded once for a cache. Once a bug visits a cache, any subsequent visits to that cache will not count for points.

2. Points for mileage will be based on the mileage counter on each bug’s page.

3. Points for posting pictures will only be awarded once per photo per cacher. One cacher posting multiple pictures will not gain additional points, though it is encouraged if the poster desires to help document the travels.

4. Points for crossing state/provincial lines or international borders will be based on a straight line model, using the travel bug’s map. No matter how a cacher travels as they carry the travel bug, a straight line between cache A and cache B will be used to determine which state/country lines are crossed.

5. Points for attendance at an event is only awarded once per event.

6. Points for being placed during an FTF requires that you be the FTF on the cache in question. Due to the increase in smaller caches, being FTF does not require that you leave the travel bug at the cache, only that you are the first to find it while the travel bug is in your possession. A photo will be needed as verification.

7. Any bugs "dipped" in and out of caches will forfeit those points. ie: NO dipping will be allowed at all. This also applies to multiple moves by any 1 cacher. A bug may only be moved ONCE by any cacher. An owner therefor may move his own bug, but only once.

Edited by cincol

As Grand Ruler, Master and Emperor of the TB Race - I will have sole discretion on adding new rules and secret words/challenges/tasks - during the progress of the race to add spice to the race. These will be done fairly and not discriminate any TB purposefully. I will "publish" these bonus points at regular and irregular intervals during the race. Suggestions during the year will be welcomed. :antenna::antenna::D

Edited by cincol

Notes

6. Points for being placed during an FTF requires that you be the FTF on the cache in question. Due to the increase in smaller caches, being FTF does not require that you leave the travel bug at the cache, only that you are the first to find it while the travel bug is in your possession.

7. Any bugs "dipped" in and out of caches will forfeit those points. ie: NO dipping will be allowed at all. This also applies to multiple moves by any 1 cacher. A bug may only be moved ONCE by any cacher. An owner therefore may move his own bug, but only once.

Not sure I understand Point 6 and 7. If you cant dip in and out, how does it work by not needing to leave the bug at a FTF?

I think I will enter one this year. Just need to find something people will want to "move". A beer bottle or something.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Jors, that can become a "discretionary bonus" during the race.

DamhuisClan, as many caches are micros that are too small for a TB I will allow a bonus if you have the TB in your possesion at the FTF [a photo will be needed as proof obviously]. That will be the only "dipping" that will be allowed. Other than that - no dipping. I hope that explains it.

Waiting for the TB's to arrive now. :laughing:

I'd love to take part in the race, but I'll need someone in SA to help me out. I'm all out of Travel Bugs, so if someone has a spare and can mail it to cincol on my behalf, that'd be awesome. In return, I can get you a geocoin here in the Netherlands (unactivated, of course), and even release it here if you so wish.

Update on the Race so far. I have received confirmation from 7 racers already. The start date will be 1 June 2009 and the starting position has been identified and arrangements have already been made with the cache owner for the use of his cache as the starting point.

The cache is located in a very secure area in the heart of Gauteng with easy access. It was selected from a number of caches based on location, security, cache density, etc in order to give the racers a good chance of being picked up and moved on.

Please remember to send me a notification once your TB has been posted. For people based in the Gauteng area I will be happy to allow them to place their TB in the cache on 31 May 2009 themselves provided that they let me have the details of the TB - ie: TB code, TB Name, owner details, etc. I will then contact them and give them the location of the cache that will be used closer to the race day.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I will be in SA from 8 May 2009 and will then have a local number where I can be contacted on as well. I will be based in Rustenburg.

Cincol,

I will be entering my TB Klippies met Eish. I am waiting for Besem to send me information and will post his racer and mine as soon as possible! Looking forward to the race!

Great to see another racer - pity about the name - looks like we'll have a lot iof long stories over this one.

BTW: I hope the Tonteldoos Groot Skat is going to be one of the mystery caches. Of that I'm in no doubt :D:D

I am thinking that maybe I want to also keep track of the TB points in a spreadsheet, and thus have some questions:

If a TB moves from SA to Namibia, it crosses a border (3 Points)

If a TB leaves SA (lets say a cache in Johannesburg), and arrives in a cache in London UK, is that:

a) only 3 points?

:rolleyes: 6 points, 3 points for crossing SA border (which is not adjacent to), +3 points for UK border

c) 45 points, 3 for SA/Bot, +3 for Bot/Namib, +3 for Namib/Zambie... +3 UK border?

I am thinking that maybe I want to also keep track of the TB points in a spreadsheet, and thus have some questions:

If a TB moves from SA to Namibia, it crosses a border (3 Points)

If a TB leaves SA (lets say a cache in Johannesburg), and arrives in a cache in London UK, is that:

a) only 3 points?

:rolleyes: 6 points, 3 points for crossing SA border (which is not adjacent to), +3 points for UK border

c) 45 points, 3 for SA/Bot, +3 for Bot/Namib, +3 for Namib/Zambie... +3 UK border?

Anton - I like the idea of those being present who wish to. Why don't you organize an Event for that day then - maybe a brunch somewhere? PM me and we can discuss the details perhaps off the Forum.

These will be awarded for STRAIGHT LINE border crossings. In other words the TB's track as per the map on its page on gc.com will determine the number of borders crossed. I am involved in a similar scoring system with another race that my TB's are in in the US and it works well. No arguing as the blue line on the map crosses all the borders and these are then counted. From SA to UK it will get ALL borders crossed in a STRAIGHT line from wherever to wherever. BUT, unfortunately a strainght line from Cape Town to Rio will cross only 1 border - the Atlantic Ocean. Likewise Cape Town to Perth, but Johannesburg to Paris will cross a heap of borders in Africa. This is the same in the US - Miami to San Fransisco will cover many States but Miami to Houston only 1 as it will go across the Gulf of Mexico. Unfortunately that is how the cookie crumbles.

Could be deemed as unfair, but then you will make up on other routes. Alternatively we would then have to cut out Provncial / State boundaries and only allocate a score for the International COUNTRY movement whenever a TB moves from country to country. Remember that the TB will still score the points for mileage though on any and all moves.

Your thoughts? We can still change things BEFORE the race starts if all agree.

Edited by cincol

Peter,

You are the game master, so the final word / rule lives with you.

Maybe miles traveled in Southern Africa = 2 points per GC mile, miles traveled outside 1 GC mile.

Would make it interesting to see if TB's want to stay in SA or not.

Maybe travelling international one allows for a max hop of 4 borders to count towards the score. This will negate a little when TB travels over lots of countries against those that don't (although it complicates the counting a little).

I agree the rules, must be fixed before the race, but the final decision stays with you the game master.

Edited by DamhuisClan

As a side note to the 2 points per SA GC mile.

I keep track of my cache to cache distance. So far I have done around 11 000 km on 340 caches.

My brother in law visited Finland a few moths ago. In one week he added double that distance to his total distance.

The same will go for TB's.

I think under the current rules a TB leaving the country has a huge advantage over a TB which stays in the country.

Agree / Disagree / Thoughts?