Is there a Wherigo for dummies?

Zork V

I have just got my new Oregon 300 and completed a couple of WIG caches with no problems.

I now wish to write my own but after down loading the builder it seem I have been dropped off in the Deep End. I have made up a story board for the cache but not really sure on where to put everything in the builder.

Please help. :)

Zork,

One thing that can help is to download the source files for some working cartridges. My Wherigo Clarence Town Park works on the Pocket PC, and both the Garmin Colorado and Oregon. Look for the "Creative Commons" icon on the cartridge page.

As for Wherigo For Dummies.......... good idea!

I am a Mac user. Can I build a Wherigo with my Mac or do I have to use the PC function?

There are two ways to build a Wherigo cartridge on a Mac without using Parallels:

1) Use Earwigo, the web-based Builder. You'll have to contact sTeamTraen for a user name and password at the moment. However, Groundspeak is planning to release Earwigo for the community in the near future (it was forecast for release in May, but they didn't make the deadline).

2) Code the cartridge by hand. Obviously, this is a rather advanced option. You could download a few cartridges, learn how the code works, and hand-code something. Field testing would, of course, be critical to your success.

At the moment, I do not know of any other alternatives.

I am stumped I have figured out how to have the player go to the 1st zone and automatically mark the task complete and disappear from the screen. My next step has me stumped on making the next leg of the adventure appear on the screen. I have tried every script set up (I think), but not able to get the correct script to do what I want.

Lost In Vegas.

:)

I am stumped I have figured out how to have the player go to the 1st zone and automatically mark the task complete and disappear from the screen. My next step has me stumped on making the next leg of the adventure appear on the screen. I have tried every script set up (I think), but not able to get the correct script to do what I want.

Lost In Vegas.

:)

You need to have created an new location to go to. You need to make that location visible and active so it appears when you complete the task in the first location.

Lost In Vegas.

:D

You need to have created an new location to go to. You need to make that location visible and active so it appears when you complete the task in the first location.

I have a 10-stop adventure set up. The spot where I am stuck is what the sequence should be for the visible / active scripts for the next leg of the journey. I have it figured out from original starting point to the first stop. I have the task set up to disappears once you hit the zone, at that point I want the second leg of the journey appear and pop up the thing I am confused on is do the scripts go from top to bottom or bottom to top to lay out the steps.

Should I sequence it out like this?

1. Show detail screen

2. Set (2nd zone)Visible true

3. Set ztask (Go to zone #2) complete , True

4. Save and close the player and launch turn-by-turn directions on supported devices

Once I get the sequencing down, I think I can make the adventure work out.

You can do 1-3 in any order. They will be executed within milliseconds from each other, so it doesn't matter as much. Stylistically, I'd prefer to do it 3, 2, and 1 because I like to deal with the current zone and task first, then set up for what's next, then, if I'd like, set the screen. #4 would always come last. As I said, though, it's stylistic and doesn't really matter.

If you're asking which order the commands are executed in the script window, it's always top to bottom. The Player does not wait for message boxes to close before running the next line. Therefore, if you show two messages to the player, one after another, you'll only ever see the second box. That's why everyone would use the "Show a series of messages to the player" option. But that's another tangent.