Any interest in handmade coins?

vilts

Is it any easier or harder to carve in titanium?

It depends on the type. Pure Ti is allright, but some types, like the one they use airplanes, are real buggers. Extremely tough and break graver points for breakfast. I'll have to get a sample from them first and see if it's usable or not.

Actually it would be a real nice if I could do sets in different metals like other coin suppliers do - bronze, brass, copper, silver, stainless steel, titanium, blued steel and whatnot. But first things first, must finish these 20 coins for the 'market test' :laughing:

Edited by vilts

Is it any easier or harder to carve in titanium?

It depends on the type. Pure Ti is allright, but some types, like the one they use airplanes, are real buggers. Extremely tough and break graver points for breakfast. I'll have to get a sample from them first and see if it's usable or not.

Actually it would be a real nice if I could do sets in different metals like other coin suppliers do - bronze, brass, copper, silver, stainless steel, titanium, blued steel and whatnot. But first things first, must finish these 20 coins for the 'market test' :laughing:

The blued steel would be very, VERY cool!!! :laughing:

Wow! Vilts is going to be busy!

The only issue I see is that each design would need GS approval. I'm not sure how much trouble that is, but unless all the coins are the same, it could be a problem.

Vilts, instead of different metals, take a look into plating. An ambitious do-it-yourselfer like you shouldn't have too much trouble with doing that...

The only issue I see is that each design would need GS approval. I'm not sure how much trouble that is, but unless all the coins are the same, it could be a problem.

Vilts, instead of different metals, take a look into plating. An ambitious do-it-yourselfer like you shouldn't have too much trouble with doing that...

Is same design-pattern on different metals considered a different design and needs a separate approval?

Yes, plating is one more option, but I'm not sure how good it will look. If the plating will be thick it will start to degrade the fine engraved lines. If it will be very thin, then it will rub off too easily. Ahh, so many options :laughing:

Is same design-pattern on different metals considered a different design and needs a separate approval?

Yes, plating is one more option, but I'm not sure how good it will look. If the plating will be thick it will start to degrade the fine engraved lines. If it will be very thin, then it will rub off too easily. Ahh, so many options :laughing:

The answer is no. The design must be approved, but just the design! Now, if you used TB numbers, nothing would need approved! You wouldn't have an icon except a TB icon, but it would not need approved (this could open the door to amy designs GS might say no to).

Hello again,

The big busy-ness is kinda over and I finally got time to work on first coin. This one was for Fox-And-The-Hound based on his own coin.

Currently this is the only one in the world :laughing:. That is, until I start making the next ones.

This technique is called double cut sculpting, 'piddling' and some other fancy names. This is brass coin with 25mm diameter.

Tracking numbers with required text will be engraved on the side.

Enjoy!

obverse_combo.jpg

reverse_combo.jpg

Edited by vilts

Cost for one coin is still work in progress. It depends on so many things and I wouldn't want to nail anything specific down just now. I can say right now tho, that they will on the expensive end of coin prices. Doing one of these babies takes me at least 2 hours...

The minimum order is at least 1 - they're all made one-by-one :D

I will buy myself a bunch of tracking numbers and the coins will go under one name.

What is the cost of getting something like this made?

How many do I need to order?

I saw these were trackable, are they all under one coin name?

Edited by vilts

Cost for one coin is still work in progress. It depends on so many things and I wouldn't want to nail anything specific down just now. I can say right now tho, that they will on the expensive end of coin prices. Doing one of these babies takes me at least 2 hours...

The minimum order is at least 1 - they're all made one-by-one :D

I will buy myself a bunch of tracking numbers and the coins will go under one name.

I'm definitely interested in at least one and am willing to pay on the high end of coin prices (for that much detailed and beautiful work, you should receive a very good compensation). Please add me to your list of definite buyers and shoot me a PM or email when you're ready to begin (and give me the price and your PayPal addy, if you have one). Fabulous work!

Thanks for the interest. I will start making the new ones as I go and definitely will post here if something new comes along.

I just finished second coin and here's a little photo... Just so...

two_together_700.jpg

The thing on the right is the engraving tool itself. The large coin is of course the original that I based my design on.

For interested people, here's bird's eye view of how the process looks like:

. Watch in HQ :P Edited by vilts

We are very interested in having a couple coins made by you and willing to pay a higher price as these will be done by hand and you cannot put a price on your work. You do absolutely stunning and a beautiful job.We be honored to have a couple peices of your art in our collection. I make quilts and Barry does wood work so we know what you mean about time consuming. Countless hours. We put alot of time into making theses so we know what how do you charge for your time. Please add our name to the list and contact us when you come to our name, if you would please. Sure would he a honor and a pleasure to hear from you.

Thanks Much. Keep of the Fantastic work.

Barry and Valarie of sweetlife

I dont know much about tracking numbers and so on, but I believe they changed the policy to 50 numbers to get a custom icon.

And...WOW... Those coins look amazing.

Edited by Tha Saint