Any interest in handmade coins?

vilts

Hello cachers!

One of my hobbies is hand engraving and I was wondering whether there would be interest in hand engraved geocoins.

To clarify a bit. The engraving I talk about is the old style metal cutting with engraver, not computer controlled lasers etc. _Very_ quick video about the process is on Zippo engraving video.

And a small sample of a result:

pickup_cover2.jpg

The size of this engraving is 1.4" x 0.43", so it could be very detailed, if wanted so.

The downside is that these coins would be made one by one, so the 'production' runs could be 10 to 25 pieces per design. Mainly to not to bore me to death with on design hundred times over :).

Price, you might ask? It could vary very-very much, mostly it would depend on the complexity. The above engraving took about 4 hours. Much simpler/faster styles could be used, check my blog to see different tries.

So let's say coin with 1 inch diameter and both sides engraved could run from $15USD to... well, no upper limit really :)

Or is this all just my another stupid idea?

Viljo

<moderator edit to add that these coins will be trackable when they are made>

Edited by Eartha

I checked out your work and wow! it's quite amazing! Very detailed and beautiful!

I agree, I would love to have a coin like this in my collection but I most likely wouldn't buy one or have a bunch made...just due to cost. If it is non-trackable, you might have a challenge marketing it as you can't list them for sale on this forum.

What would you use for the coin to engrave?

Wow, that spoon is just beautiful... it's all really great! I'd definitely be interested in coin designs you come up with. For a typical geocoin $15 is pricey, but somehow I don't think yours will be anything close to "typical" so the price shouldn't be an issue... especially if the numbers are going to be as low as 10-25 per design! Yikes!

I predict stressful sale dates and lots of disappointed would-be buyers who didn't hit refresh fast enough :) I can't wait to see what you come up with, I bet it will be amazing :)

I think your designs are beautiful and I would definitely be interested if both sides could be engraved under $20. Would it be possible to add a cacher's name into the design, or some other personalization?
that is the thoughts we had, along the lines of how would a group project work, and have our names on it, that would be cool, we be up for one for sure.

Great! I used to work as an engraver(not by hand) on a Pantograph style. I think the best way to move forward with this great idea would to be...

buy the numbers, get a custom icon to cover all your coins, and sell them as one of a kind. I didn't look at the cost you mentioned, but for a one of a kind coin, as a gift for a special occasion, I'd be willing to spend plenty. I think rather than relying on people to order batches, you might do better creating the coins and then selling each one. You could still do batches, but having unique coins is a real art form. You can add me to your client list!!

I think they are beautiful and handmade coins have been done by a few people like tiki and scavok. Their prices were a bit higher than regualr geocoins but they sold well. I'd support you by buying a coin, I love handmade and unique coins. Beautiful work!

Edited by tsunrisebey

If these coins are not trackable on geocaching.com, they cannot be sold here, no matter how beautiful they are. When you decide if they if they will be trackable, you can let me know and I will re-open this thread. Otherwise, this thread is not allowable. You have enough replies to know that people like your work, but first you need to read Groundspeak's Current Coin Tracking Policy, Coin Tracking Requirements. Geocoins must be trackable on www.geocaching.com, in order to be posted for sale here. Otherwise, you can only use these forums to trade them, in the pinned trading thread. You post doesn't mention anything about tracking, so I am closing this thread, and if you decide to go trackable, please let me know via PM or email, and we can re-open the thread.

Thanks everybody for positive feedback. Seems like an idea worth pursuing.

I hadn't thought about making one off custom coins, but if there's interest, why not. Helps me to refine my design skills even more...

Would it be possible to add a cacher's name into the design, or some other personalization?

Sure, it is custom work anyways and made one by one, so anything is possible, as long as I can engrave it.

So, the question I have is, what would be the minimum number we could order for a design and....can you do my avatar and....how much????

Minimum, I'd say 1 :unsure:. Your avatar is doable, maybe some little modifications, but otherwise not too complicated. About price, maybe you could send me a higher res image of your avatar and also tell how big coin you want. Then I can tell more.

Do you have any samples of Images, rather than scrolls and patterns??

I made one Volga Zippo show-off video, that maybe gives an idea. Nothing too fancy, just basic lines and little shading.

What would you use for the coin to engrave?

If you mean base material, then copper, brass, silver and stainless steel I have right now available. Bronze and others I can get as needed.

On later phase I'd like to start making dies and striking the coins too, but I'm not really sure it's feasible with so many companies doing just that with machines. Maybe I just do some runs for the fun of it and see what will happen with the coins :blink:.

somebody jump in here and correct me if I am wrong, but . . .

it is my understanding that the artwork for any trackable geocoin must be submitted to Groundspeak, and approved before it is put on a coin

I don't see this as a show-stopper for this project, but it may well add significant overhead in time, if not in cost

That is correct. Before Groundspeak will issue tracking numbers they will need to see the artwork.

When the time comes, the OP will need to submit his/her artwork to them for approval. Barring anything offensive, it shouldn't be a problem to get approvals but it might be prudent for the OP to send some samples over now so that Groundspeak can get an idea of the types of designs that may be coming.

A little pre-planning goes a long way.

Please make sure that you have read this information about tracking and the process.

Thanks.

Thanks for the responses and advice. I am aware of the design submission requirements. I spent quite a few days reading geocoin faq's and all relevant info I could find on it.

One question tho. As I can buy the numbers in minimum batches of 100, does this also mean that minimum amount of coins I could do is 100? Or could I use these 100 numbers on 10 different, but approved, designs?

I think my action plan is first to make a design and if it gets accepted, then maybe a test run of 10 copper coins. If all goes well, then rinse-repeat.

Edited by vilts

Thanks for the responses and advice. I am aware of the design submission requirements. I spent quite a few days reading geocoin faq's and all relevant info I could find on it.

One question tho. As I can buy the numbers in minimum batches of 100, does this also mean that minimum amount of coins I could do is 100? Or could I use these 100 numbers on 10 different, but approved, designs?

I think my action plan is first to make a design and if it gets accepted, then maybe a test run of 10 copper coins. If all goes well, then rinse-repeat.

I think you could use them on any number of different, approved designs, but they would all share a common icon.

Personally, I'd like to know if you could recreate in etching one of my personal geocoins and add a tracking number I already own (from the same coin). I'd love to see what a hand-engraved coin would look like.

edit to add: I'm thinking this might be a very cool FTF prize!

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I don't do etching per se. It's quite different technique from the engraving I do. But sure, I could try and see what you'd like to get recreated.

What is FTF?

Personally, I'd like to know if you could recreate in etching one of my personal geocoins and add a tracking number I already own (from the same coin). I'd love to see what a hand-engraved coin would look like.

I would totally buy at least a set. PLEASE keep us updated on the status of this project, if you decide to go forward with it.

(Have you thought about partnering up with one of the coin companies so that you can obtain a small run of tracking codes? Not that I don't want you to make 100 of them [or even 250 so it has an icon]), but it might be a good start.)

Don't worry if I answer many hours later. I'm always online during daytime, but just 8 hours ahead of US time, plus a day job that I actually enjoy :unsure:.

I'm curious. How long would it take you to engrave the average geocoin?

That's a tough question. I don't know what an average geocoin is :unsure:. But I think I can't get anything done under a hour, plus design time. So let's say from an hour to... no hard limit at all.

Just to give an idea - the following practice plate took about 12 hours (I would've taken ~4 hours less if I hadn't chosen to inlay hard material into soft... silly me). The plate is 2x2 inches, engraving itself 1x1 inches. This is copper with silver wire (0.3mm/0.012") inlay. Here I was just foolin' around with different techniques.

inlay_practice.jpg

I know this isn't a get-rich-quick thing for me, or even a way to earn living. It's just a hobby that I hope someday will grow into something more. This is also the reason I try to make them available price-wise to as many people as possible. So it's a win-win-win situation: I get to practice my skills, some people will get hopefully nice coins and I can promote the art of hand engraving.

Have you thought about partnering up with one of the coin companies so that you can obtain a small run of tracking codes?

Yes, I did think about it. That would be good for the first try of 10 or so coins and if proved successful then I can buy 100 or 250 directly. I'll see if I can get the numbers from somewhere.

Btw. what benefit would the custom icon give me if I buy 250 numbers? Would it be sort of company logo for me?

P.S. Not to overload and bore you to death with engraving info, but there's an art form called 'hobo nickels'. Basically you take existing coin, usually Buffalo nickel, and carve it to something else. My first and not so successful try:

hobo_nickel.jpg

Of course such carving takes much-much more time than regular engraving. But it's a possibility.

Anyways, I will start to think seriously about this and when all other waiting engravings are finished I'll give it a go. Hopefully I have time in the mean time to doodle with designs.

Btw. what benefit would the custom icon give me if I buy 250 numbers? Would it be sort of company logo for me?

The benifit would be to have your coins identified as their own group. It gives the coin an identity of it's own as opposed to a "Generic Personal Coin" In order to have a custon Icon, there need to be at least 250 numbers in the group. when you look at someones trackable inventory you will be able to see all the coins they own, identified by the icons.

I don't do etching per se. It's quite different technique from the engraving I do. But sure, I could try and see what you'd like to get recreated.

What is FTF?

PM or email me your snail mail and I'll send one of my coins your way. You'll get to see what it looks like up close and we can figure where to go from there :unsure:

perhaps you could team up witha coin to use the hand made coins as a pattern to to make a geocoin with regular methods and much like an artist will sell copies of a original artwork the originals even a run of 10 or 15 originals would be more valuable , and it would also allow you to share your artwork and design with more People .

Great work hope you continue to enjoy and share your hobby

Edited by geocachingdragon

What is FTF?

PM or email me your snail mail and I'll send one of my coins your way. You'll get to see what it looks like up close and we can figure where to go from there :yikes:

Got it! Putting some stuff together tonight :(

Here's a thought...

I have a belt sander, and can completely remove one side of a coin, leaving a plain fresh surface for your engraving. If you left the trackable side intact, you'd be good to go. Just have to be sure it's a coin you'd like to customize, cause once the sander has done its deed.. it's a done deal.

That's also an idea, but then it wouldn't be totally handmade... I might be too egoistic, but I like the 100% DIY version :yikes:

Perhaps you could team up witha coin to use the hand made coins as a pattern to to make a geocoin with regular methods and much like an artist will sell copies of a original artwork the originals even a run of 10 or 15 originals would be more valuable , and it would also allow you to share your artwork and design with more People .

Good idea, but I think if I want to go to mass production (well, 100+ coins at a time), I'll make my own hubs and dies and strike the coins myself. Or cast them. Fortunately I have all the needed equipment. Again, I like the feeling of handmade stuff... Maybe I'm weird :(

I've been looking and looking, but didn't find anywhere the place I could purchase the tracking numbers?

Also I read that for single coins I make I could buy Travel Bugs and use their tracking numbers (disposing the tags themselves, of course). Is this correct?

Here's a thought...

I have a belt sander, and can completely remove one side of a coin, leaving a plain fresh surface for your engraving. If you left the trackable side intact, you'd be good to go. Just have to be sure it's a coin you'd like to customize, cause once the sander has done its deed.. it's a done deal.

That's also an idea, but then it wouldn't be totally handmade... I might be too egoistic, but I like the 100% DIY version :yikes:

Perhaps you could team up witha coin to use the hand made coins as a pattern to to make a geocoin with regular methods and much like an artist will sell copies of a original artwork the originals even a run of 10 or 15 originals would be more valuable , and it would also allow you to share your artwork and design with more People .

Good idea, but I think if I want to go to mass production (well, 100+ coins at a time), I'll make my own hubs and dies and strike the coins myself. Or cast them. Fortunately I have all the needed equipment. Again, I like the feeling of handmade stuff... Maybe I'm weird :(

I've been looking and looking, but didn't find anywhere the place I could purchase the tracking numbers?

Also I read that for single coins I make I could buy Travel Bugs and use their tracking numbers (disposing the tags themselves, of course). Is this correct?

This is correct! The drawback to this is, the TB icon would be what you'd see when you activated these!

So I got little time over the weekend and prepared the coin blanks for engraving. The regular ones are 4mm thick and I also made two 10mm thick ones for special edition - so I can engrave the sides too. Diameter is 25mm, or 1".

"Track at geocaching.com" text will be on the sides. Now I 'just' have to make the design :ninja:

coin_blanks.jpg

I was wondering, would there also be interest in coins made of titanium (and possibly anodized)? Looks like my local supplier has it in stock too...

So I got little time over the weekend and prepared the coin blanks for engraving. The regular ones are 4mm thick and I also made two 10mm thick ones for special edition - so I can engrave the sides too. Diameter is 25mm, or 1".

"Track at geocaching.com" text will be on the sides. Now I 'just' have to make the design :ninja:

coin_blanks.jpg

I was wondering, would there also be interest in coins made of titanium (and possibly anodized)? Looks like my local supplier has it in stock too...

I'm interested, but I'm an oddity I think. I think their are even advantages to a lighter coin. It seems the majority of coiners like the "heavy" coins as they're described as being "more substantial" and seem to have more success. Is it any easier or harder to carve in titanium?

Please keep me on your list... I think I'd prefer the 4mm thick size. :laughing:

Of course I'd be interested in the titanium and anodized versions too. :laughing:

Edited by tom4props

"Track at geocaching.com" text will be on the sides. Now I 'just' have to make the design :laughing:

coin_blanks.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how these come out!!!

"Track at geocaching.com" text will be on the sides. Now I 'just' have to make the design :laughing:

coin_blanks.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how these come out!!!