Setting of compass on Etrex Legend

spacejam1

Been having some trouble with my Etrex Legend. It has several times pointed TOTALLY in the wrong direction. And I mean the total opposite direction from where the cache was. I walked MANY feet and still pointed me in the opposite direction of the cache, did this the whole time until I got near the cache. If I had gone by my pointer, I would have been almost a football field away from it! Luckily I had a clue and was very familiar with the area,or I would have been totally out in left field.

So I am checking EVERYTHING on it, and found several settings for North reference. These options are as follows, True, Magnetic, Grid, and User. Which do you think would be the best to set it to. Maybe this will help with solving my problem. Also, any other users of a regular Etrex Legend that could give me some other info on how to work with this gps, would be greatly appreciated!

... I walked MANY feet and still pointed me in the opposite direction of the cache ...

The original blue Legend does not have a magnetic compass and requires you to be moving for the pointer to work properly. Perhaps you weren't moving fast or long enough for it to work properly.

... I walked MANY feet and still pointed me in the opposite direction of the cache ...

The original blue Legend does not have a magnetic compass and requires you to be moving for the pointer to work properly. Perhaps you weren't moving fast or long enough for it to work properly.

I walked several 100 ft and still pointed the same way.

I don't have a way to set the pointer and I set it to true N.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it very much!

There will be a setting on the unit for "bearing" or "course" pointer, trust me. Make sure it says "bearing".....

Just happened to have my old blue legend in my coat pocket

On the Navigation screen, go to the options: There is a toggle between "bearing pointer" and "course pointer".

It only shows the one that you can change it to, so if it says 'course', you are set to 'bearing' like you want.

There will be a setting on the unit for "bearing" or "course" pointer, trust me. Make sure it says "bearing".....

Just happened to have my old blue legend in my coat pocket

On the Navigation screen, go to the options: There is a toggle between "bearing pointer" and "course pointer".

It only shows the one that you can change it to, so if it says 'course', you are set to 'bearing' like you want.

Did that. Now I can't wait to see what all these changes will do for it. Long distance it seems to do great, till you get around 50 ft and then I just start looking. Don't understand what happened today. I also d/l all the updates like was suggested.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all this help! I am sure it will have a positive effect on my gps!!

THANKS!

Don't understand what happened today.

It could have even been an alien spaceship, eh spacejam?

Wait a minute! :)

:)

I have this same problem with my Etrex Legend HCx. The pointer is completely backwards, the distance counts down correctly but the pointer is exactly 180 degrees the wrong way.

Don't understand what happened today.

It could have even been an alien spaceship, eh spacejam?

Wait a minute! :)

:)

I have this same problem with my Etrex Legend HCx. The pointer is completely backwards, the distance counts down correctly but the pointer is exactly 180 degrees the wrong way.

So how do you find where your going? Sometime it does point me in the right direction, and sometimes it doesn't. If I knew that it was pointing wrong, then I just could go the opposite way! So, what have you done to counteract that?

So how do you find where your going? Sometime it does point me in the right direction, and sometimes it doesn't. If I knew that it was pointing wrong, then I just could go the opposite way! So, what have you done to counteract that?

I walk and notice that if I walk the direction the pointer shows then the distance increases, I then turn around and walk the exact opposite distance and the numbers go down. It makes it more difficult but now that I know what is going on I know how to counteract it.