A Cool Use For A GPS

Keith Watson

T "Don't let the gov't bureaucrats decide that thousands of dollars is the price when reliable units are now available for under $300.

true but I can see when my reciever says i am 4 metres away and that i really should stop. if I were visually impaired i would want the one that was acurate to centemetres, not metres. that may account for the additional thousands of dollars.

bryan

That is a great article, Keith. I tend to agree with the idea that talking GPS is a fantastic tool for the blind. As one commenter on the article wrote, "Don't let the gov't bureaucrats decide that thousands of dollars is the price when reliable units are now available for under $300.

Reliable units are available for that price, but probably not units that will take vocal commands or have a braille display... Sure lots of GPS units can talk, but how many actually listen to you or have another way for you to input information without having to see the screen?

The market for electronics usable by blind people is much smaller than the regular market, so they tend to more expensive.