New coin from the Global War On Terror

toadjumper

So I was sitting here in lovely Afghanistan, with nary a cache to be found near me, and figured, why not design myself a coin. I've done the preliminary work and had some help from the fine folks at Hogwild and MadHatters, and just wanted to see if there might be any interested people out there looking for a military-inspired coin. This one will be a kind of memento for me of my time spent over here with some symbology representing what I've done. I'll post pictures in the next day or so of the finalized coin if anyone's interested.

front1.jpg

Here are the front and back designs of the coin. I'm looking to have them done on BN with a sandblasted effect. Obviously, I'll be keeping back a couple for myself, the guys on my team, and a couple close friends, but the rest of the 250 I'm having made will get distributed in caches, or go up for sale. If anyone's interested, the asking price will be $10 plus shipping.

I'd love a couple of those myself! My sister-in-law is there right now on her third tour. I designed a coin for her and her mates before she went on her rotation and I think a few have made it into caches over there (mostly Kandahar).

If you are interested, send me your address by PM and I'll get one in the mail to you. Pics of the coin are on my profile page.

Count me in... and thanks for serving! I have a brother-in-law, who was still serving in the Airforce during the first Iraq war and a nephew who just got out from the Rangers... I know for sure he did some time in Iraq, but having served in the Special Forces, there are many places that he may have been sent that we'll never know about. :)

Great coin and thanks again! :)

needed to get this post back towards the front of the forum! Thanks for the e-mail today toadjumper, and thanks also for entering my cointest. Just a reminder to everyone that this coin is in the works. I hope to be the first to purchase! Thanks again toadjumper!

drneal

ILYK

toadjumper,

I am going to update your title for you, so folks will know the photo is posted. Anytime you need an update on this thread, just click "report" on your first post, let us know what to update, and one of us will be happy to do it for you.

As others have said, thank you for your service and dedication and that goes to all of our armed services!

Ok, just got word that the coins are being shipped to the States and should be here by Monday. This is perfect, since they'll be getting there about the same time I get home on R&R leave. I should have them in hand, in CO before the end of next week, and will start sending them out as soon as possible. It may not be right away next week since my wife and I are taking our belated honeymoon cruise to the Bahamas, but as soon as we get back, and before I head back here I'll send out the ones that people have already requested. If you've been waiting for the coins to come in to decide if you'd like one or not, now's your chance. I know I'm new on the selling market, but I figured that this would be a good coin to get out into the wild.

If you're interested, the coins are going to sell for $10 a piece, with $2 for shipping. I'll try to fill orders while I'm in the States, but the rest will be sent from Afghanistan, so bear in mind that shipping back from over here might take a week or two. Just PM me with your information if you're interested.

Thanks to all those who've already expressed interest, you'll be first on the list to get them as soon as I do. I do take PayPal, so I'll send invoices out next week.

Ok folks, the coins are in, and they're ready to be shipped out. Hogwild did a fantastic job with these and I have lots of kudos to give to Sharon and all the gang over there for their help!

I will accept payment by PayPal for them. The coins are available in either black nickel or gold and are going for $10 a piece. Shipping is going to be $2.00 total.

Ok folks, the coins are in, and they're ready to be shipped out. Hogwild did a fantastic job with these and I have lots of kudos to give to Sharon and all the gang over there for their help!

I will accept payment by PayPal for them. The coins are available in either black nickel or gold and are going for $10 a piece. Shipping is going to be $2.00 total.

Just send you a PM or what? Sweet coin. I'm interested in (2).

Thanks.

A good question was raised to me about the design of the coins and the symbology used on them. To answer that question, here is what I chose.

On the front is a representation of our unit patch in the upper left corner, and in the center, a design that we chose to represent our team. We are Team Veritas (Truth to those who may have skipped that day of Latin), but our radio call signs are Titan, so we wanted something that would represent both aspects, hence the warrior. On the reverse of the coin you have a representation of the country of Afghanistan, where we now are, which has the national flag overlaid on it. From the top of the coin and traveling in a counter-clockwise direction (which you can tell easier on the gold coins since they're two-tone) you have the Army ranks of Lieutenant Colonel, Major, Captain, Master Sergeant, Sergeant First Class, and Staff Sergeant which represent the various ranks on our team. Continuing around you have the Army's Combat Action Badge, awarded to Soldiers who do not hold an infantry or special forces job who have been engaged by enemy forces. Finally, above that is the Combat Infantry Badge, awarded to infantry and special forces Soldiers who have been engaged in ground combat with enemy forces. I used these since our team is made up of infantry, field artillery, air defense artillery, and transportation Soldiers. In looking at the ranks, they are done in order from highest to lowest, and the two badges on the right are in order of precedence from the CIB to the CAB with the CIB being of higher precedence.

Since our team is all Army, it made it easier to chose what to put on it. It's a special coin to me, not only because it's my first ever undertaking of this type, but also because of the memories that I will carry long after I leave Afghanistan in November. I hope this answers any questions anyone might have about it, and thank you again for your interest and support. It means a lot!

A good question was raised to me about the design of the coins and the symbology used on them. To answer that question, here is what I chose.

On the front is a representation of our unit patch in the upper left corner, and in the center, a design that we chose to represent our team. We are Team Veritas (Truth to those who may have skipped that day of Latin), but our radio call signs are Titan, so we wanted something that would represent both aspects, hence the warrior. On the reverse of the coin you have a representation of the country of Afghanistan, where we now are, which has the national flag overlaid on it. From the top of the coin and traveling in a counter-clockwise direction (which you can tell easier on the gold coins since they're two-tone) you have the Army ranks of Lieutenant Colonel, Major, Captain, Master Sergeant, Sergeant First Class, and Staff Sergeant which represent the various ranks on our team. Continuing around you have the Army's Combat Action Badge, awarded to Soldiers who do not hold an infantry or special forces job who have been engaged by enemy forces. Finally, above that is the Combat Infantry Badge, awarded to infantry and special forces Soldiers who have been engaged in ground combat with enemy forces. I used these since our team is made up of infantry, field artillery, air defense artillery, and transportation Soldiers. In looking at the ranks, they are done in order from highest to lowest, and the two badges on the right are in order of precedence from the CIB to the CAB with the CIB being of higher precedence.

Since our team is all Army, it made it easier to chose what to put on it. It's a special coin to me, not only because it's my first ever undertaking of this type, but also because of the memories that I will carry long after I leave Afghanistan in November. I hope this answers any questions anyone might have about it, and thank you again for your interest and support. It means a lot!

*** My coins... my first two geocoins... came today in nice holders with a little thank you note. Well, thank you for designing and making them.

I know I, for one, wrote asking about the coins' symbols and would like to say thanks for posting that. For me it adds to the meaning of what was put into the design of the coin and serves as a reminder of the fact that some people are still in harms' way for a greater good that is already having a positive impact for those being helped.

Once I register them I plan to send one of my two black nickel geocoins on a mission (when I learn more about how to accomplish this) to visit military members and bases/cities. I think that will be a good way to recognize those who have now or ever served their country.

Thanks again toadjumper and stay safe!