state parks

dmr92

I'm curious, I know federal parks and whatnot do not allow caches, but does anybody have info on state parks? does it vary by state? if so, does anybody have info on mississippi they could share with me?

In Ca. it is now up to the land manager at each state park to decide if the geocaches are permited in the park that manager maintains. This came from a recent rulling by the state park dept.

This link may be helpfull to Ca. cachers

Ca. Parks and geocaching

Edited by JohnnyVegas

The answer is, it varies from state to state. A good example of a cache-friendly state park system near you is Arkansas. A counterexample is North Carolina's state parks. I don't offhand know the rules for MS. Your state or local geocaching association would be a good place to ask this question.

The Kansas State Parks sponsored a state-wide challenge series last year (2008). Complete a two-part multi at 29 parks by a certain date, prizes of free night or weekend camping permits, park passes, etc. awarded to the first to complete certain numbers. From the grapevine, other states have called possibly interested in doing the same. Hope so, we had great fun doing the challenge.

MN State Parks had a challenge in 2008 that ran till Dec. 31. They are now putting together a similar challenge for 2009. Alan & Cindy of "Fargnot Legendarium" fame won the 2008 contest. The PTB for the MN parks have a permit policy that is to be followed before placing non-park personnel caches.

I suggest checking out Mississippi Geocachers Association (MSGA) and post this question in the forums there. I know of and have found many caches in MS State Parks, so I assume it's ok, but you might have to fill out a form or otherwise get permission.

[Edit:] Another option would be to ask the reviewer in the area in question. They're usually up-to-date on current local polices regarding major government-owned public lands. Check out a recently placed cache in the area, click to view all logs, and see who posted the "Published" log which should be the first one.

Edited by J-Way

I'm curious, I know federal parks and whatnot do not allow caches, but does anybody have info on state parks? does it vary by state? if so, does anybody have info on mississippi they could share with me?

I am sure each state park is different I work for the Alabama State Park Systems.

In Alabama State Parks You just ask the Park Superintendent for a Geocaching Permit and fill it out.

Then when it is approved you can publish the cache.

Contact me through GC if you want an Alabama geocaching Permit and I will E-Mail you one.

Beep~Beep :)