Cell Phone Internal GPS

Billwaa

Hi, I have a handheld GPS, but since my phone contract is due, I am able to upgrade my phone. And I saw one that I like, Sony Ericsson w760. It has an internal GPS.

Just wondering if it is possible to geocache with that. Since it don't come with any geocache software. And I don't have a internet data plan... I asked the guy in radioshack, he say GPS phone are Assisted-GPS, and it is not possible to use a phone's GPS without the internet... is that true? Because while I look at my brother's, you can turn the Assisted function on or off...

I don't want anything fancy like the AT&T navigation ( I got 2 car GPS for that...), I just want a simple one that I can use for geocache / hiking, so I don't have to bring a seperate GPS, and a camera, and a cell phone... :D

thanks ahead of time...

Hi, I have a handheld GPS, but since my phone contract is due, I am able to upgrade my phone. And I saw one that I like, Sony Ericsson w760. It has an internal GPS.

Just wondering if it is possible to geocache with that. Since it don't come with any geocache software. And I don't have a internet data plan... I asked the guy in radioshack, he say GPS phone are Assisted-GPS, and it is not possible to use a phone's GPS without the internet... is that true? Because while I look at my brother's, you can turn the Assisted function on or off...

I don't want anything fancy like the AT&T navigation ( I got 2 car GPS for that...), I just want a simple one that I can use for geocache / hiking, so I don't have to bring a seperate GPS, and a camera, and a cell phone... :)

thanks ahead of time...

I have an AT&T Tilt with GPS. It works o.k. but not the best solution. I lose satellites in tree cover pretty quick. I use GeoScout software which is pretty nice...paperless geocaching!. It HAS assisted GPS but it is off by default. There is also an external GPS antenna jack, so I would assume you could get a puck and increase your accuracy/signal. HTH.

Rjgraves

I don't want anything fancy like the AT&T navigation ( I got 2 car GPS for that...), I just want a simple one that I can use for geocache / hiking, so I don't have to bring a seperate GPS, and a camera, and a cell phone... :unsure:

thanks ahead of time...

I'm in Canada and I have a phone with a-gps and I don't have a data plan and it still works fine. The phones work off the cell towers to determine where the sats are and it's not part of the data plan it's part of the universal gps location system for 911 services where the phone triangulates with the towers for your location.

I have a Sprint Mogul (ppc6800 - same as verizon vx6800) and it works ok for caching. The GPS works while out of tower range or with the phone turned off. It just gets a fix a lot faster, usually in seconds, if you are on the cell network. Definitely not as accurate as my 60csx, but will get you close enough. Example: When I compared the two, my Garmin 60csx said I was within a couple of feet, compared to the phone which said I was 2-3 yards away. No big deal for driving, street maps, etc, and when you are that close caching typically you should be looking up at that point at not at the GPS.