Valentines Day Cointest

drneal

Cool contest.

Here's my story. I had been friends with my now sister in law since 6th grade. Well in 10th she talked me into joining the Wrestling team at school as a matgirl/sports medicine. I in all my years of knowing my sister in law had never met her brother (now hubby). Well I he had wrestled and had graduated but still came to alot of matches. During one of our tournaments he walked up and asked if I wanted lunch, I just figured that he was being nice. And politely declined, Mom always siad dont take food from strangers. :lol: Anyways he wouldnt let up and finally said fine you wont eat then let me take you out. I was shocked not only was he older but bossy! But whatever I said yea and first date was actually out with his church group Christmas caroling at an elderly home. Well 2 years later we were engaged and 2 years after that married. And its now been 12 years this year and we have 2 great kids and we havent smothered the other one in our sleep. :D

3264557775_b012fdd5dd_m.jpg

This is us at Niagra this past October when we went up for Geocoinfest.

Hi there, we are the Scrapple-ers, known to the out of caching world as John and Dawn. We met in July, 1987. I was working at Dunkin' donuts while going to nursing school and John was working one of many jobs at the opposite end of the parking lot at the gas station. One rainy day, I stopped for gas and he was wearing a yellow rainsuit, I rolled down the window and he "quacked" at me. I was completely taken by this really cute guy quacking at me. When I pulled away from the pumps, I looked back at him and he was waving at me. I said to myself, "Dawn, you're gonna marry him someday!" Well, I was so scared at my thoughts that I didn't go back for over 2 weeks. I turned out that he was trying to find out who I was, all he knew was I worked at DnD and drove a red camaro. He went to DnD all the time, except sunday nights, which was when I worked there. He asked everyone he knew except the guy he worked with who I was. I went to school with he other guy, he knew me, but wasn't saying anything. Well, finally, after 2 weeks, I went back there. To make a long story short, he followed me home and we've been together since. We met in July, got engaged in November and married 2 months later on Valentine's Day. This year wil be 22 years that we've been married. We have 18 yr old twins and a 1 yr old "bonus" baby.( the bonus is what you get when you're over 40, on the pill and in love......) Anyway, we are the Scrapple-ers, and that is our love story.

Dawn

( how do Ipost a picture here) we have lots on our profile.....

Hi there, we are the Scrapple-ers, known to the out of caching world as John and Dawn. We met in July, 1987. I was working at Dunkin' donuts while going to nursing school and John was working one of many jobs at the opposite end of the parking lot at the gas station. One rainy day, I stopped for gas and he was wearing a yellow rainsuit, I rolled down the window and he "quacked" at me. I was completely taken by this really cute guy quacking at me. When I pulled away from the pumps, I looked back at him and he was waving at me. I said to myself, "Dawn, you're gonna marry him someday!" Well, I was so scared at my thoughts that I didn't go back for over 2 weeks. I turned out that he was trying to find out who I was, all he knew was I worked at DnD and drove a red camaro. He went to DnD all the time, except sunday nights, which was when I worked there. He asked everyone he knew except the guy he worked with who I was. I went to school with he other guy, he knew me, but wasn't saying anything. Well, finally, after 2 weeks, I went back there. To make a long story short, he followed me home and we've been together since. We met in July, got engaged in November and married 2 months later on Valentine's Day. This year wil be 22 years that we've been married. We have 18 yr old twins and a 1 yr old "bonus" baby.( the bonus is what you get when you're over 40, on the pill and in love......) Anyway, we are the Scrapple-ers, and that is our love story.

Dawn

My world would come crashing down with out these 2. My whole life is set up for these 2. The reason I wake up for work everyday, The reason I cant wait to get off work and come home. The reason I seek for adventure, The reason I have found you , Here at the forums. The reason I roam in the womans department. The reason that one is loved is because one is loved,, there is no to reason for loving these 2.

c05cb6ba-ad47-4627-a338-f5aa2f2c9750.jpg

"Love is not about finding the right person, but creating a right relationship. It's not about how much love you have in the beginning but how much love you build till the end." All roads are rocky, and a short cut won't allways take you where you want to go. so pick the rightous path for your journy because there is no destination. :(

Well, my honey and I had been married 23 years when this was taken in 2005. I had gone to visit friends before Easter and came home to find that he had come down with Shingles. This was taken on Easter......in our snowy front yard. 327056.jpg It was that following Christmas my honey bought me my GPSr so I could start Geocaching. And he sure does enjoy me getting finds, having events and meeting my new friends! In fact, I think he lives to brag about them as he carries the Geocaching U folders over the visor of his truck!

Little did I know the therapeutic outcome of the GPSr Christmas purchase, when, in May of 2006, he would be diagnosed with Colon Cancer, have surgery and chemo! Yes, Geocaching kept me from going crazy through all of this.

I have found a great circle of supportive friends. I have kept myself physically and mentally fit. And - yes, Life is Good!

Ralph is, fortunately, still with me today and we are continuing our life dreams and journey together and also, realize, some time, some way, some how it will end. But until then - we treasure each day - each waking minute, hour and opportunity.

Hug those you love and tell them you love them. None of us know when our available moments will be taken away!

And - give back, work hard, donate generously and remember - it is but the touch of another loving soul who can and will make the difference, change the outcome of someone's life!

Happy Valentine's Day all - Rejoice and Enjoy - with all those around who you Love! Thank you all for being part of a community which is very special to me for unique reasons.

Cache on - Cache happy!

Dawn

( how do Ipost a picture here) we have lots on our profile.....

Wow, Any Man that'll Quack at you AND drives a Valentine Red Camaro ..... Definatly a keeper.

Very cool story Scrap and on Valentines Day, Man That's Romantic.

Happy Anniversery,

Opalsns

In 2002 we went back to Europe, where I was stationed at SHAPE Belgium, in 2003 she was in an accident that left her with a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and us minus one child.

We returned to Germany (Heidelberg) so she could receive treatment in her native language. During the rehabilitation process, she decided she didn't want to be together anymore and moved out in 2007. Everthing was official in 2008 after I had returned to the States for retirement, and a new career.

The only thing I can really say about our relationship, is to take lyrics from a John Lennon song. They go something like this (not sure if I have the quote right but it is real close)

"Every man has a woman, if he is lucky he will find her in this lifetime"

All I can say is I was lucky, then after the accident, my luck ran out.

Thanks for reading

Brewmeister, love not luck stands out in your life. A TBI and loss of a child is an unmeasurable amount of grief. Be steadfast for time may yet heal these wounds. When you hold love and hope in your heart 'miracles' happen. I'm no oracle but I'll make a wish for your family and for your love ~ for another chapter in your story. 1273.gif

How on earth can I put a picture up on here without having to put it on the web first?!

Zen Rabbit and I met on a rock climbing forum. We both had been climbing for many years, but lived in different towns, and weren't particularly looking to meet someone. We started an e-mail conversation which just grew and grew, covering all sorts of interesting topics.

Eventually, we decided to meet and go climbing together, in the Peak District in the UK. I had just been skiing, and as it was easter, I decided to take an easter bun in the shape of a rabbit with me for him. We met up in a camp site in the pouring rain. The ground was a quagmire of mud, it was dark, and I was very tired from travelling. I arrived to see a helpful person opening the gate for me. It was Zen Rabbit! :)

He said that he had a present for me - it was a Lindt chocolate rabbit! I gave him his rabbit bun, which he promptly ate, but my rabbit was too cute to eat, so I thought I would save it for a bit.

the next day, we had planned to climb, but it was still pouring with rain, so we went for a walk instead. It felt as though I was meeting up with someone that I had known for years - and I felt as though he knew me too but did I really want to get involved in a relationship? I decided that I would have to go away and have a think about things, rather than just rushing into anything.

Two weeks later, and we were back together for the weekend. I remember a moment, sitting on a tree trunk in the weak spring sunshine, just looking into his eyes, and KNOWING that he knew me! The words of the song "You were made for me" were playing inside my head.

Over the next few weeks we spent each weekend together. In every way, we seemed to be such a good match for one another, sharing so many of our values, hobbies, culture, friends. The only problem was that we lived in different towns. 7 weeks after we first met, we were talking about what the future would bring. "Would you ever consider getting married?" he asked.

"Well - it depends who to!"

"Would you marry me?"

"Yes!" We both looked at each other, with big grins plastered across our faces.

...but was I just seeing what I wanted to see? Was it all just wishful thinking? I thought that my family would have much more objective judgement than I would, so I decided to ask them what they thought about it before actually setting the date.

My neice gave Zen rabbit 9 out of 10.... that was until she discovered that he was a climber too, when she changed her score to 10 out of 10!!!

My sisters thought he was just right for me.

AND even my mum approved!!!

So 5 1/2 months after we first met, we were getting married! We had a simple ceremony with just our immediate families, which gave them a chance to get to know one another as it was the first time that they had met!! Then two weeks later, we had a big party for all of our friends - renting a big youth hostel with 51 bunk beds for the weekend, and asking people to bring food instead of presents. Various friends played insturments and sang for the music and we had a 4 tiered cake made from 4 whole cheeses! We made little marzipan figures of ourselves to put on the top - Zen rabbit made me, and I made him.

Unfortunately, I still had to work in my own town, so we couldn't actually get to live together! but I began to apply for jobs in his town, and eventually 4 months after the wedding, I actually moved into his house! :laughing:

We have now been together for 4 years, and every day I look at him and think just how lucky I am. The photograph is of us on a climbing holiday in Sinai - we were the only climbers in the whole country! You can just about see the road at the bottom of the moutain.

...and as to my chocolate rabbit...

Well - I'm still waiting for the right moment to eat him! :laughing:

lindt.jpg

Edited by The Bunny of Happiness

One more day to go, and then I put the schnauzers to work...the dogs will pick the winner!

One last picture, and I think I saved my best for last. This picture was sent to me by my wife's sorority sister about a year after she was killed. It was taken at our first date, our blind date...the couple to the far left, set up the date...I am thankful, and remain in their debt.

IMG_0002_NEW.jpg

ILYK

Thank you for sharing your special lady with us through this cointest. You have used this as a way to reflect upon how special love can be when it is real. Even through a loss - you never stop loving - never. Sometimes folks just never realize or recognize this fact.

Thank you for sharing and thank you for the cointest. Happy Valentines Day and thank you for relighting a spark of rememberance of how much our loved ones mean to us.

edit for spelling - sorry

Edited by hollora

As I started to write this story about my first date with my soul mate, which happen to be on a Valentine’s Day, and realized that in order to tell the whole ‘love story’ that I had to back up several years before our first meeting face-to-face. Even to this day, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the whole thing.

But first, like many others have already stated in this threat, you have to realize that I don’t believe in accidents – I believe in Miracles.

n888800031_5465762_1879.jpg

Savoy (Les) and Elisa at home in Rio

Elisa was starting her Senior Year in High School in Montana. One night, while her parents sat down stairs, her boyfriend put a pillow over her face, and raped her. Though the details of the location changed, this scene would repeat itself over the next two months with increasing frequency. Finally, when someone noticed the bumps and bruises, the abuse stopped, the boy went away, she was pregnant - and even more alone than ever.

Everyone, especially the family didn’t understand why she wouldn’t just get rid of the baby – effectively erasing the family embarrassment (on many levels) but she refused. The family shunned her as it began to be impossible to hide the secret anymore. The boy returned, and beat her in the stomach, in hopes that the attack would abort the baby. This time she fought back. He wouldn’t return again.

Elisa sat with her high school classmates while six months pregnant, just a few months before she would give the Valedictorian address. A college music group filed in the gym, I happened to be a member. Though I was raised in a wonderful Christian home, and am a spiritual person myself, the program was meant to recruit students for the college and purely for entertainment. That night, I sang a duet called, “Somewhere out there” from An American Tail. The song really did some up our lives up to that point. I was 24 but since I was 15 years-old, I had been calling out to God on behalf of my future wife – not ‘for’ a wife (I was having a great time dating – a lot), but that whoever she was, that she would be cared for and helped through whatever the world may be throwing at her. That night Elisa remembers me singing out to her these words:

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight

Someone's thinking of me and loving me tonight

Somewhere out there someone's saying a prayer

That we'll find one another in that big somewhere out there

And even though I know how very far apart we are

It helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star

And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby

It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky

Somewhere out there if love can see us through

Then we'll be together somewhere out there

Out where dreams come true

And even though I know how very far apart we are

It helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star

And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby

It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky

Somewhere out there if love can see us through

Then we'll be together somewhere out there

Out where dreams come true

I believe in Miracles.

I filed back out of the room never meeting Elisa. A short time after graduation, Elisa drove herself to a hospital an hour and half away, and gave birth to a baby boy. That evening she handed him to his new parents and the next morning she drove herself back home.

I believe in Miracles.

Elisa attended college that visited her high school on a scholarship and working for the tuition – her family would not help her. A year later, we met in the music department.

A group of us decided to go to a ‘sock hop’ on Valentine’s Day. As it got closer to time to go to the dance, someone called in a very lame excuse… and then another, and another, until only Elisa and I remained. We were setup. We went anyway (I have to admit that I was not too happy about being ‘pushed’ into a date) and even won the dance contest that night as a couple.

I believe in Miracles.

Six months later, we were married. That was 21 years ago, today. Elisa and I share passions, and now, a strong faith. Our love only grows deeper. We’ve been blessed with three wonderful children – and have traveled the world together as a team in every sense of the word.

n888800031_5464001_780.jpg

The Family Today

One more thing. On our 5th anniversary, we got a phone call from a little boy. Though the adoption was ‘closed’, the child that Elisa was pressured to discard, wanted to meet us. We not only met, but he has been a part of our lives and family ever since.

n513079491_31618_7792.jpg

Brendan

The love of my life is a person of integrity, strength, and passion the degree of which amazes me, every day.

Yes, I believe in Miracles because I married mine.

Edited by Savoy

My thanks to all that participated! As promised the winner was picked randomly, with the help of my dogs, Logan and Heineken. I counted up the entries, printed numbers, using edible ink markers, on very thin, very small pieces of cheese, (don't want to constipate the schnauzers!) put them in a circle around the dogs, unleashed the hounds, and then risking life and limb (fingers anyway,) grabbed the last piece left, giving me the winner (Logan and Heineken request more entries next time...cheese is their favorite!)

The winning entry is:

Big Ron and Lori Darlin Love Story

A high school friend of mine was coming to town (where we both used to live and I still live nearby) so I gathered up a bunch of friends that still live over there to have a girls night out and celebrate her being in town.

We all arrived at the very busy bar/saloon and went inside. Several people were dancing to the music of a great band and it was packed. All my friends sat down except me and one other girl. I stood nearby and my friend asked me why I wouldn't sit down. I told her because this way when a guy comes up to ask me to dance he will already know how tall I am and no one will have to be embarrassed.

No sooner had I said that when there was a 'tap tap tap' on my shoulder. I turned around and looked into someone's CHEST and then looked up at the suitor!!! He was a tall cute blonde He asked if he could have this dance and I shakily said 'ok!' and away we went. At the end of the dance, he picked me OFF the floor and twirled me around. It was love right there and then that night. At that time (before we shrank) I was 6'2 and he was 7 feet tall. No one had EVER lifted me up before lol

He tried to get my phone number from my friend and she wouldn't give it to him and so then he asked me for it. When we were leaving the parking lot, I gave him my phone number and my friend was yelling out the window that I gave him the wrong phone number and he looked scared and I kept laughing and told him it was right.

He called me a few days later (happy that I answered) and asked me out and we have been best friends since. On April 3rd it will be 16 years In August we will have been married 14 years.

Congratualtion to LoriDarlin...please contact me with your name and address so I can get you the newest addition to the LoriDarlin coin collection (probably easiest to use my account through Groundspeak.)

Next year, a lighter, more embarrassing Valentine's Day cointest! Till then, don't forget to show us them puppies!

drneal

ILYK

DrNeil Thanks for the fun cointest, had alot of fun reading all these amazing stories, seeing all the nice pictures, and contrads to LoriDarlin for winning the cointest, I have not been able to read the forums much due to being away from home and taking care of a friend that just had knee surgury, she doesnt have any family to help take care of her and could not stand to see her go in a nursing home, so I offered to help out as that is what friend are for. Couple more weeks and will be nice being back to the regular schedule. Hope everyone had a Happy Valentine's Day.

WOW!!! Your story is absolutely amazing and your family is beautiful!!!

Thank you... and thanks to the thread host for the idea. I'm not sure I have ever written down this story before so it was a great chance to be reminded and share, as well as to be encouraged by all the other posts!

- Sav

Edited by Savoy

Oh my gosh I am speechless!! :mad: wow there were sooooo many wonderful love stories that I never dreamed ours would win. Every other day I would check in and read these because they are all so wonderful and its a great way to learn about others. Some of them brought me to tears. This is one of my top favorite cointests and would have been even if we had not won but I'm very thankful we did!! :o We our honored to have been chosen and we thank you very much! Your Minne Und Treue Geocoin coin will be treasured forever and always :wub: Many many thanks drneal for such a great cointest and thanks to all those who shared too! HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!