ribbons

hvinelinux

I've noticed on a couple of cache hunts i went on that 3 of the 5 had colored ribbons tied in the trees.

is this something thats done by the hider to give you a clue as to where your going?

i just want to know if i can ignore these or not because i think that it may be something done in my are for reasons other than caching and its throwing me off the path.

thanks.

Harold

They are almost always there for some other reason.

Sometimes it's to mark paths that are being taken by people on some group hike, where they intend everyone to take the same path, but perhaps at different times.

Sometimes they are there as part of a study done by the land managers or a local school hunting for pests or certain kinds of trees, etc.

Sometimes there are there to mark trees that will be cut or pruned (those are sprayed painted in some places, but I have seen them be-ribboned).

And every once in a great while, some (usually very new) geocaher decides that no one else could ever find their way to that cache unless they mark the path. I've heard of that happening exactly twice in all the time I have known about caching, so it is very rare.

So yep, ignore them unless that cache description mentions them for some reason. Good question.

They are almost always there for some other reason.

Sometimes it's to mark paths that are being taken by people on some group hike, where they intend everyone to take the same path, but perhaps at different times.

Sometimes they are there as part of a study done by the land managers or a local school hunting for pests or certain kinds of trees, etc.

Sometimes there are there to mark trees that will be cut or pruned (those are sprayed painted in some places, but I have seen them be-ribboned).

And every once in a great while, some (usually very new) geocaher decides that no one else could ever find their way to that cache unless they mark the path. I've heard of that happening exactly twice in all the time I have known about caching, so it is very rare.

So yep, ignore them unless that cache description mentions them for some reason. Good question.

great.........thanks for the answer.

i thought maybe i was being thrown off by them.

now i can start finding the cache instead of chasing ribbons in the darn woods :D