Ashes attached to TB

Dakota Dawgs

My brother did not know anything about geocaching but he was an adventurer who wanted to travel the world, but because of finances and his premature death he never got the chance to. I am thinking of putting some of his ashes in a bison tube that will be glued closed and sending him on his way. Is this too far over the edge?

I think it's a great idea, and a great way to memorialize an adventurer!

Similar TB's have ben released before, and I don't think that people have had negative reactions to them. The first one that comes to mind is Uncle Elwyn

It seems that folks like to hold onto him for awhile. To their credit, they seem to be showing him the sights and taking lots of pictures, which is great. I'm one of those folks that thinks TB's ought to be able to travel from cache to cache, cacher to cacher more frequently... never been into the "dipping" of bugs. That's just a personal thing on my part though. Everyone plays the game differently. If you want your TB not to be dipped, it might be a good idea to put a note to this effect on the mission tag, as people tend to get attached to these sort of bugs.

Another "memorial" Tb is one that we found recently. All That's Left of Grandpa

Not actual remains... but close! :D

Good luck with your bug!

Edited by team moxiepup

Similar TB's have ben released before, and I don't think that people have had negative reactions to them. The first one that comes to mind is Uncle Elwyn.

Did you ever decode the message at the bottom of Elwyn's info? I was a bit disappointed when I found out it was a fake.

Similar TB's have ben released before, and I don't think that people have had negative reactions to them. The first one that comes to mind is Uncle Elwyn.

Did you ever decode the message at the bottom of Elwyn's info? I was a bit disappointed when I found out it was a fake.

Doesn't that just bite the big apple? :D I never read it that closely.

Let's try this one: OriginalLeslie

I have a co-worker who has a bit of her Father's ashes embedded in a pewter bracelet. And no I don't doubt that she does.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Nope, I hadn't read that before. Geez... just when you think you can trust a TB page! :D:D:D:D

I still like the concept though. ;)

H'mmm I wonder if the folks that have been holding onto him for half a year have decoded the message? :D

My brother did not know anything about geocaching but he was an adventurer who wanted to travel the world, but because of finances and his premature death he never got the chance to. I am thinking of putting some of his ashes in a bison tube that will be glued closed and sending him on his way. Is this too far over the edge?

You could put his ashes in the bison tube, glue it, then sew it up into a stuffed animal or whatever figure would represent him. What do you think? That way no one would be tempted to open the tube. Interesting idea you have there. I'm new to geocaching so I never considered something like that to be possible.

You could put his ashes in the bison tube, glue it, then sew it up into a stuffed animal or whatever figure would represent him. What do you think? That way no one would be tempted to open the tube. Interesting idea you have there. I'm new to geocaching so I never considered something like that to be possible.

Great idea, although an unsuspecting cacher who goes through an airport security check with that TB in his luggage could get in trouble really fast. At least until the situation gets resolved. I fly regularly with TBs in my luggage and I would appreciate knowing in advance that a teddy bear I bring abroad with me has a bison tube stuffed inside.

Great idea, although an unsuspecting cacher who goes through an airport security check with that TB in his luggage could get in trouble really fast. At least until the situation gets resolved. I fly regularly with TBs in my luggage and I would appreciate knowing in advance that a teddy bear I bring abroad with me has a bison tube stuffed inside.

Good point. Surprise!!

this thread comes to me in a timely manner. My Dad....aka Grandpa Bud... passed away on January 2 and was just as thrilled about my family's new hobby as I am. The Pony that's travelling with me to cache's was a favourite toy from Dad's cottage and the stable was built as a Christmas Creche but we "absconded" with it for the Pony. I was thinking of creating a series of Grandpa Bud trackables ...one for each of his 10 grandkids and letting them travel. I would like the same story to be attached to each of the bugs and would like the story and gallery to show pics of my dad. This is really to give the kids a chance to be involved with a memorium project ...I know they will be thrilled to see how far their Grandpa Bud Bug has travelled. Should I start all 10 off in a TB Hotel...mail a few...hand them out at an event...drop them in different caches (I'll have to find a few more :unsure: ) ... any tips are most appreciated

Thanks for all the positive replies. Looks like we'll be deploying Jerry sometime this month from Naples, Fl. I will post the info here when he leaves incase anyone would want to follow his adventures..

Dakotoa Dawgs .... I'm curious ... will Jerry be deployed with or without his ashes? It certainly something to consider ...I'd try it for my memorium project but am reluctant to think grandpa bud ended up in the great unknown ... it's a leap of faith and very honorable to send a bit of Jerry about the world. Thanks for sharing your story and happy trekking Jerry

Thanks for all the positive replies. Looks like we'll be deploying Jerry sometime this month from Naples, Fl. I will post the info here when he leaves incase anyone would want to follow his adventures..

Dakotoa Dawgs .... I'm curious ... will Jerry be deployed with or without his ashes? It certainly something to consider ...I'd try it for my memorium project but am reluctant to think grandpa bud ended up in the great unknown ... it's a leap of faith and very honorable to send a bit of Jerry about the world. Thanks for sharing your story and happy trekking Jerry

A little bit of Jerry will be in the bison tube when it's deployed. I think that's the only way he would want it. A picture and a short note will be attached.

A little bit of Jerry will be in the bison tube when it's deployed. I think that's the only way he would want it. A picture and a short note will be attached.

What's the status of Jerry? Just found this thread and as a former "logger" off Uncle Elwyn would be interested to watch Jerry's travels.

What's the status of Jerry? Just found this thread and as a former "logger" off Uncle Elwyn would be interested to watch Jerry's travels.

Thanks for the interest. Jerry is currently in Niederösterreich, Austria..He's been on quite an adventure. You can check his status using TB2AVF4

<tracking number removed by moderator, reference number inserted instead>

(shhh, keep the tracking number secret, only known to those who actually find it out there, use the reference number from the TB page)

Edited by Eartha