Acer Aspire one - Linux version

Got one of these for Christmas. Lovely bit of kit. Trying to get my head round Linpus Linux Lite, just hope I have enough grey cells left. Anyone got any experience of any software that may be useful for caching or will I be better off switching to windows when possible. Thanks in advance Ray

I have an eee PC running Linux and here's what I use for caching:

• cmconvert and pilot-xfer to get my caches into Cachemate on my PDA.
  • gpsbabel to get my caches into my GPSr.
  • GpsDrive and gpsd for moving maps (with a Bluetooth dongle and GPSr ).
  • MapSource running under Wine for general looking around.

I've been using it for a year now and I'm quite happy with the whole setup. One Of These Days I'll sit down and pound out a wrapper utility so there's a nice GUI around all the command line stuff, but as I'm quite comfortable with the command lines, it's not a high priority.

I bought one each for my kids a few months ago, and had a half-hearted look to see if it would be any use to me, but.....

No bluetooth, so couldn't connect my GPS

No MM or GSAK, so even if I had been able to connect I'd have to get to grips with something new.

It would be useful for logging on at MacD's to log caches...but I'll stick to desktop and pda for now for everything else.

I just wanted to add that I tried out gpsturbo tonight and I heartily recommend it. I'd missed hearing about it until now. It works quite nicely under Linux, though the map's a bit tight on the 800x480 screen of my eee. I've had both my 60CSx and a Bluetooth GPS hooked up and working with it. It's an amazing piece of work and I look forward to exploring its capabilities. I won't deny that it takes some work (you have to compile it from source). But if you're looking for a Linux GPS app, this one's worth looking at.

I also have an Asus EeePC Linux which we take geocaching.

In many ways it confirms everything I love and loathe about Linux.

Love - price, very swift boot up, easy mobile Internet, no software costs

Loathe - utterly non-user-friendly for adding altering applications, lack of wide range of printer support, nothing new works first time, windows hook-ins are a nightmare

Linux is about 25 years behind Windows in terms of support, professionalism, range of supported applications, easy printing and scanning, user interface etc etc. Its also amazingly buggy - as bad if not worse than Windows, and I have had to do at least one full re-instal to basic config. This is a geeky tool, and if you are geeky then fine.

Having said that, the Asus EeePC ( which I do not adapt now whatsoever ) does everything I need. Its robust, pink!, and cheap. BUT I will not buy another Linux PC. I've learnt my lesson!

I use an EEE Pc but went for the XP version

Works a treat and ideal for travelling - but I think the keyboard is better on the Aspire

I have all my geocaching software loaded onto it - GSAK, cachemate, memory map and mapsource

Acer Aspires (or soemthing very similar) were selling for around £230 in Tesco Extras recently

I got an HP Mininote 2133 here which is a lovely little netbook and is about the same size (but 200g heavier because it's ally bodied) then the Acer Aspire which my caching buddy Giav has.

I have to say though that I am not getting on with Linux at all, so I plan to bung XP on it asap. There seems to be lots of help online and many positive reviews on the above linked site.

I have GSAK working on this machine with linpus lite.You need to run it using WINE a windows emulator.It does crash every now and again but on the whole it works great.I had no prior experience with Linux and it didn't take long to set up.

I also bought the Acer Aspire One 150-Ab [the 512MB memory version with a 120GB HD and Linpus]. However even though I am comfortable using Linux, I decided to put Windows XP on it [i had a spare license from an old desktop PC]. To do this I used a CD drive connected via a IDE to USB convertor. The install was very straightforward, updated to SP3 and installed the missing drivers. BTW, mine actually had a 160GB HD installed.

I use GSAK on this and it works great.

I have also installed PowerNotes and QUO [like MemoryMap] on this netbook and they all work great, almost as fast as my full desktop.

The only gripe I have with it at the moment is the standard 3 cell battery; but I already have an extended battery on my list of things to get to resolve this issue.

By installing XP myself I saved about 40 quid, as I got this from Amazon for under 200 quid, what a bargain!

The keyboard is very good, definately better than the ASUS EeePC, and although it isn't as good as the Samsung NC10, it is significantly cheaper. Good crisp screen, lots of USB ports, memory card slots, external VGA connector, Wifi 802.1 [a/b/g] etc.

All in all a nice little netbook weighing in at just over 1KG.

Regards,

Martin