Paperless with the PN-20

loadedgun

I just started loading .gpx files onto my PN-20 (just became a premium member yesterday). The description is being cut off (character limitation maybe?), and it is not giving me the hint or the size of the cache. It gives me who placed it, the D/T, and part of the cache description.

I was under the assumption that I would be able to get the HINT, cache size, and some previous logs on the unit as well. Was I wrong in this assumption, or am I just missing something obvious?

Yes, your assumption was correct.

I exchanged a bunch to my PN-20 yeserday and the hints, when included in the cache description, are shown between the D/T and the DISC:.

At which GC????? are you looking?

What is your firmware version? I have FW 2.5.

What is your Topo 7 version? I have SP1.

I'm sorry, but I can't recall if it was the T7 SP1, the FW update, or both that changed the position of the hint to that which I described.

You might also repost your problem at the DeLorme forums where more PN-20 users are likely to view it:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewforum.php?f=90

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Yup, that hint should be pretty much up front like CowboyPapa said. Currently there's an 800 character limit in comments, so the end of longer descriptions get cut off. There's an update in the pipeline that should remove the limit in the near future.

If you can't see the hint, I suspect either an older firmware or maybe there's no hint for that particular cache. Verify against the original cache page.

I just started loading .gpx files onto my PN-20 (just became a premium member yesterday). The description is being cut off (character limitation maybe?), and it is not giving me the hint or the size of the cache. It gives me who placed it, the D/T, and part of the cache description.

I was under the assumption that I would be able to get the HINT, cache size, and some previous logs on the unit as well. Was I wrong in this assumption, or am I just missing something obvious?

I just replied to your question in the other forum in which you asked it. See here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=211310

Happy Caching!

-Brian

-Team DeLorme

Really? I don't even have that... well, not on a PN-20... :lol:

I'm sorry, but I can't recall if it was the T7 SP1, the FW update, or both that changed the position of the hint to that which I described.

It's the T7 SP1 that makes the changes to the .gpx file when it is imported. But we always suggest that all PN-series devices be updated to the latest firmware as well.

-Brian

-Team DeLorme

OK, I just updated to the newest versions, and when I transfer the GPX file into Topo 7, I can see that the hint/cache size is on there. I transfer it to the unit, and now I can't seem to see it in the Waypoint description? I can see the first line of text, but nothing else. This is actually less than I was able to see before. I know I'm being dumb and missing something obvious. If I go to Menu/Waypoints, and select the cache, I can read it in the 'Comments' section, but can't read it all? If I press ENTER when it is highlighted, it takes me to the text screen where I can modify all the text, but not read the rest of it.

I am trying to use GC1FVVR if that helps. I feel clueless right now :D

Really? I don't even have that... well, not on a PN-20... :D

It's the T7 SP1 that makes the changes to the .gpx file when it is imported. But we always suggest that all PN-series devices be updated to the latest firmware as well.

-Brian

-Team DeLorme

Is there an ETA on the character limit removal update on these units?

OK, I just updated to the newest versions, and when I transfer the GPX file into Topo 7, I can see that the hint/cache size is on there. I transfer it to the unit, and now I can't seem to see it in the Waypoint description? I can see the first line of text, but nothing else. This is actually less than I was able to see before. I know I'm being dumb and missing something obvious. If I go to Menu/Waypoints, and select the cache, I can read it in the 'Comments' section, but can't read it all? If I press ENTER when it is highlighted, it takes me to the text screen where I can modify all the text, but not read the rest of it.

You're almost there. If you have the waypoint screen up (i.e., where you can see the coords and have the choice of Delete/View/Route across the bottom, then hit Menu/Enter to select the View Comment Details. You'll get a full screen view of the comment. You can page up/down by hitting the zoom rocker.