Missing TB's

parkmoy

Just updating my TB's and I find that out of 12 TB's and geocoins released, 6 are missing.

Is a 50% loss rate par for the course or a bit high?

I am fairly new to this and have only released 3 in the past couple of months. One of which has already gone missing. I emailed everyone who had logged the cache since the TB drop but noone has it. However another post tells the tale of TBs that have been missing for over three years then reappeared so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hope you have some luck finding your missing ones.

Wendy

Just updating my TB's and I find that out of 12 TB's and geocoins released, 6 are missing.

Don't release any of mine any more - particularly the coins. I just make copies and laminate them. If they go missing - they go missing - I still have the originals.

Although I do understand your reasoning for not releasing the "original" coin, I can't get excited by finding a "mock" coin in a box.I'll never log it...never!

Don't release any of mine any more - particularly the coins. I just make copies and laminate them. If they go missing - they go missing - I still have the originals.

Although I do understand your reasoning for not releasing the "original" coin, I can't get excited by finding a "mock" coin in a box.I'll never log it...never!

Well if you promise to buy me replacements, I'll release the originals. :lol:

Well if you promise to buy me replacements, I'll release the originals. :lol:

Nick, if you release the actual coin you're never going to see it again.whether it's nicked or not.

If you keep the coin then it's yours to admire in the confines of your collective space.

So my question is...do you really want to release it?.....or keep it? :)

I've just spent 45 minutes (it's OK, there was nothing I wanted to watch on telly :D ) going through my* trackables to produces the following exciting statistics for you:

51 geocoins and 20 TBs are happily travelling the world.

3 geocoins and 2 TBs I have concerns about (i.e. they haven't moved for 4 month or more and they may have joined the ranks of the Great Disappeared.)

18 geocoins and 2 TBs I have marked as definitely 'missing in action'.

This means over the last 3 years I've released 96 trackable items. Of these, I'm confident that 71 are still active. I'm happy with that. :D

MrsB

*I say 'my' trackables because MrB has no say in what I send out into the Wild World of Geocaching - he's not that interested really :D

That does seem rather high, but some might re surface. I've had a couple of trackables dissapear for over a year before suddenly reapearing again. :D

Over the past 4 and a bit years I've released 72 trackable (35 TBs and 37 geocoins), of which 4 TBs and 6 geocoins have gone missing (most from muggled / lost caches) so 62 still active. Thats a lost rate of 14%.

I'm still happy to release more as I like to see where they go, mind you it is annoying when they dissapear without moving at all which happend to one of my coins. :D

Edited by Al & Tracy Smith

Don't give up hope on your lost trackables.

I picked up a TravelBug last June which had been stuck in a rarely visited cache in Perthshire. The owners had posted a note on the cache page asking if it was still there. So we confirmed it was, and took it too.

The next time we went out caching it could not be found. We looked everywhere, in the rucksacks, camera bags, car, house. I did email the owner to keep them informed, and eventually offered a replacement.

But, just the other day my daughter was tidying her bedroom cupboard and the missing Bug was found! :D

Six months in limbo, but at last we can move it on its way again.

Hobgoblin

Well if you promise to buy me replacements, I'll release the originals. :D

Nick, if you release the actual coin you're never going to see it again.whether it's nicked or not.

If you keep the coin then it's yours to admire in the confines of your collective space.

So my question is...do you really want to release it?.....or keep it? :D

A new one arrived today. I've only got about half a dozen.......I went to put the new one with the others......er......and I can't actually find them. So in answer to your question - I'll have to find the buggers first!!!

Well I'm (like Mrs B, my other half doesn't care about the trackables) at about 25% attrition at present, but then I feel there are factors to consider, like:

The relative time after release for the disappearance...

Number of moves actually made...

Was the cache muggled or was it 'stolen' from a perfectly good cache?

I've divided my coins into degrees of 'V&A' a term we use at work for 'Valuable & Attractive', i.e. the desirability. This is a rule I've applied ever since my Essex Scout Coin, which was extremely visually attractive, went missing after just 2 moves.

If I regard it as V&A, I now drill and tag with a keyring/ID tag, the intention being to both make it less attractive to an illicit 'collector' and add an explicit instruction to keep it moving. It might upset the purists, but hopefully will keep it in circulation longer. :D

I have recently stumbled across a 'Mystery Geocoin Dog Tag' from one of the dealers in the approved shop list on the GSP website. See HERE

These can be used to replace missing, lost or otherwise not in circulation trackables.

I drill and tag all of our coins before they are released, some have sill gone missing but maybe they will turn up one day. Of the ones that are MIA most have been taken by new(ish) cachers who haven't been out since and have just kept them, some have disappeared from caches at the same time they were visited by newbies.

I have 100+ unactivated in a display box, I could never set them off to travel because because of the price I paid or I like them too much to lose them. There are 50ish activated in a binder to take along to a meet if ever we get to one, we take them caching and can show them to other cachers we might bump into.

It is a shame when they go missing but there are thieves in all hobbies and occupations and the loss is made up by the kind, honest people who move the others for our entertainment.

Out of 27 Tbs and coins, we have 7 either lost/muddled/kept by new cachers who havent since cached.

I refuse to let this stop me putting out new ones, indeed, we are in Scotland this week and intend to put out 4 more new coins & tbs.

I have one coin in this cache which doesnt even seem to be a cache??? http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1506272

:D The old problem of a trackable item being placed into a brand new cache and then, for whatever reason, it doesn't get published.

I would email that caching team and ask them whether their new cache is likely to get published soon and, if it isn't, could they please move your slug onwards. Five months is way too long for a slug to be trapped in Tupperware without so much as a cabbage leaf to sustain him. I know they're meant to move slowly, but that's just taking the slime...

MrsB

I have a TB called Pretty Kitty that went missing for 10 months. She suddenly returned unexpectedly, and it would seem that she was dropped in teh street by someone who had picked her up at an event.

A cacher's relative (not a cacher themselves) recognised that this tag thing was somehow related to Geocaching, and so took it home and thought she'd give it to this caching relative.

Anyway - cut a long story short - she forgot to give it to them, and then some 10 or so months later, she remembered... and passed it on.

Great story!!

Edited by HazelS

We've been unlucky, lost 4 out of 5 TB/Coins released.

We have other 4 moreTBs and 4 more coins still in the drawer, activated but not released as we've lost enthusiasm for these.

We have considered putting replacement "cloned" items out using the same idents.... with rather large "Don't hog me, move me" tags fitted.

I have a coin that has gone missing, it was a very striking large FTF coin and we put it in a cache we were FTF on, and now it has gone missing it didnt even move the once!! I really liked this coin and now regret putting it into circulation.

I emailed the people who found the cache after us and the first to find after us said it was definately in the box but they didnt take it, the following person is a new cacher only found 2 caches i believe they have taken it, unfortunately. i have emailed them 2 times now with no response but hopefully it will turn up or i might start cloning my coins or similar and keep hold of originals!!

I have a coin that has gone missing, it was a very striking large FTF coin and we put it in a cache we were FTF on, and now it has gone missing it didnt even move the once!! I really liked this coin and now regret putting it into circulation.

I emailed the people who found the cache after us and the first to find after us said it was definately in the box but they didnt take it, the following person is a new cacher only found 2 caches i believe they have taken it, unfortunately. i have emailed them 2 times now with no response but hopefully it will turn up or i might start cloning my coins or similar and keep hold of originals!!

Oh dear :ninja: This is such a familiar story.

I had a look at your geocoin's page to see the sequence of events - What a lovely coin! - No wonder you're so disappointed.

I also looked at the profile of the second cachers who visited after you dropped off the coin and it seems they haven't been back on the site since 16th November. :grin:

As they are so very new to caching it may be that they just don't understand about geocoins travelling - not that that is any consolation to you. You've done all you can for now: Just keep your fingers crossed that when the weather improves they will 'wake up' again and remember about geocaching and get your coin moving again.

MrsB

The Life and Death of TBs and coins is odd.

Caches do go awol and get muggled but its a rare affair.

I've released 24 coins and TBs and 3 have gone awol. Many are not where I'd prefer them to be but that's all part of the rich tapestry of coinage so to speak. Of those that are still in circulation half are in the hands of geocachers and half in the caches themselves. It seems people hang on to them longer these days.

Of those that have gone AWOL, one died and resurfaced without tag from a muggled cache. It was found in a bush some distance from the original cache, less tag, by a cacher in north England who had actually had the TB (it was unforgettable) in his possession and I relaunched it. It finally died in a muggled cache in Nevada or thereabouts.

One TB completed its mission and not long after that went missing - oh well.

One coin just got stolen - it happens. Three coins have been in the hands of a geocacher for over a year but they'll move one day I expect.

I'm pretty laid back about this: one needs to be. TBs and coins give pleasure to others and most (but not all) play be the rules of appropriate fairness. Chill.

Oh dear :laughing: This is such a familiar story.

I had a look at your geocoin's page to see the sequence of events - What a lovely coin! - No wonder you're so disappointed.

I also looked at the profile of the second cachers who visited after you dropped off the coin and it seems they haven't been back on the site since 16th November. :laughing:

As they are so very new to caching it may be that they just don't understand about geocoins travelling - not that that is any consolation to you. You've done all you can for now: Just keep your fingers crossed that when the weather improves they will 'wake up' again and remember about geocaching and get your coin moving again.

MrsB

Given:

1. It's Christmas

2. New Year

3. Not nice weather at the moment

I'd say it's early days yet, to be writing this one off...

Three coins - three missing that's a 100% loss rate. We won't be releasing any more. One went missing without even moving out of the first cache.

We are doing a bit better on Tb's 3 out of 7 have gone missing.

The final straw was last month when we received an email saying send $10 to a pay pal account or we will destroy your TB. It may only be a toy on a bit of metal but someone attempting to black mail you is pretty unpleasant.

Three coins - three missing that's a 100% loss rate. We won't be releasing any more. One went missing without even moving out of the first cache.

We are doing a bit better on Tb's 3 out of 7 have gone missing.

The final straw was last month when we received an email saying send $10 to a pay pal account or we will destroy your TB. It may only be a toy on a bit of metal but someone attempting to black mail you is pretty unpleasant.

Well I certainly hoped you reported that to TPTB!!!!

I've released a number of TB's and I think I'm approaching 80% loss rate. Its frustrating when they travel so far and then disappear but equally as bad when they don't leave the first cache. I'm convinced some of mine have been due to new cachers not understanding or cachers deciding to let the kids have them.

My mother and I have released Mcdonalds dogs as TB's and we've lost 100% of these, about 6 TB's, all over the world....

Oh and lets not forget cachers who pick them up and never place them again....... I spam them until they comply but I shouldn't have to surely!?

As for the blackmail issue may I point that cacher towards the GAGB for advice.

P.S. Whats TPTB?

Edited by Coppers Lot