Geocaching at night?

MnStar

We have done some night caching -- specifically with caches designed to be hunted/found at night. But you do have to be careful that you don't try to find a cache placed near someone's home at night because people get kind of antsy when folks are rummaging around in their bushes at night. Also we have found that it is very difficult to see somethings at night that are fairly obvious in daylight. It is fun though and does add an element of mystery.

Yes, night hikes are awesome. Grab a hiking buddy if you can, maybe even a geo-dog. Try hiking under a full-moon, you'll find you can see the trail fine and you'll be able to hike with the flashlight off - provided your are clear of trees and high canyon walls. Also, grab a hiking/walking stick to clear the trail of spider webs. You'll find spideys build their webs off the ground so 4-legged animals can clear them, but most webs will be head-high for most humans. Also, always tell a love one or friend where you are going and when you think you'll return.

Urban night-caching also works out well for those muggle-infested areas. Do expect more contacts with the police.

Absolutely! I find that often tricky hides are easier to find in the dark. Moonlight caching is wonderful & yeah it is a great time to do high muggle area caches. Specific night caches are a hoot & a great way to socialize with a band of equally crazy cachers. There is just something about a shared night time experience that transcends that done of a day.

Yep, did 11 in a wooded park New Years Eve. Like briansnat stated earlier had to watch the posted hours. Had to be out of the park by 11:00pm. However, with the sun still setting between 5:15-5:30pm starting at 6:30pm was plenty dark. Turns hunting for low difficulty micros up a notch or to.

We love caching at night! In our area (metro Detroit) there are a few caches that are meant to be done only at night. They were our favorite caches so far. One of them had a becon that only worked when you put your flashlight beam on it. My husband and I prefer to stay away from muggles, so many night caches are perfect for us.

I attempted a night cache/hike in the mountains once a few weeks back. Found all caches, but was extremely dark. Left the trail by midnight and the moon was not out so it was pitch black to say the least.

Here is a video from the trip from my blog:

Edited by hesslv

Just did a cache an hour ago. Grabbed it at 9:30 pm. It was kinda of wierd because it was dark but it made it fun! There was just enough moonlight to shine the way. As I was walking I looked up from my gps and noticed I was in the middle of this guys baseball field he built for his boys in his backyard. The cache was right behind home plate. It is wierd to do at night but a great experience

I LOVE caching at night! I work a lot of hours, so I often don't get a chance to go out until after work, and in the fall / winter that means it's dark already. Be sure to look for caches with the 24/7 attribute because you can reasonably assume that it's okay to hunt them at night and that there aren't any rules that would prevent you from seeking.

Also, some caches are *meant* to be found at night. I believe there is now a night cache attribute, and for the older ones there is a little attribute with a fliashlight icon. Usually night caches are listed as multis and will say that they are night caches on the page. You go to the starting coords, and shine your flashlight onto reflectors of some kind; often fire tacks on trees, or reflector tape; walk to that spot, and then look for the next reflector. They are really fun!

Happy caching!