60 csx compass issue

SPRINGDOG

I have been using a 60 csx for a couple of months now and I like it very much, great features and wonderful accuracy. However I've noticed that almost every time I use it the compass readings are way off unless I recalibrate. I was under the impression that compass recalibration should only be needed to be done after changing the batteries. Is this unusual? Should I be concerned? Any tips or info regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Springdog

Thats a funny thing. I cache with my daughter and a friend when we were out it seems like both their 60csx need to be recalibrated several times throughout the day. Mine I recalibrate when I change battery and seems to hold calibration fine until the next battery change. I know my friend did the software upgrade on his I believe its version 3.70 and gps software 3.00. I don't know was my daughters is but its a newer unit so it may be the same. I haven't upgraded and I'm running software version 3.60 and gps software 3.00. Other than that I'm clueless.

I have been using a 60 csx for a couple of months now and I like it very much, great features and wonderful accuracy. However I've noticed that almost every time I use it the compass readings are way off unless I recalibrate. I was under the impression that compass recalibration should only be needed to be done after changing the batteries. Is this unusual? Should I be concerned? Any tips or info regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Springdog

I have a CS and it's obvious that my calibration will change as the battery level drops. I have also noticed that if I hop out of the car and calibrate it while standing next to it, it will need recalibrating once I'm off on the trail. I'm guessing that my car, being a large metal object, is throwing it off.

What type of batteries are you using?

Also, I assume you know that once you get within the GPS zone of error, the navigation arrow will jump around quite a bit. This has nothing to do with the fact that it's an electronic compass. You would notice the same thing if you were continually taking reading with a magnetic compass. It's a function of the GPS signal, not the compass.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Prime :

When you got to this point :

This has nothing to do with the fact that it's an electronic compass.

You would notice the same thing if you were continually taking reading

with a magnetic compass. It's a function of the GPS signal, not the compass.

You lost me, do magnetic compasses have some sort of 'ouija' thing happnin',

to know when you're getting near a set of coordinates?

Prime :

As Prine knows, a unit a with magnetic compass is a lot like a lensatic compass (and should be held level just like one to work properly) and will work without any GPS signal. But the DOT indicator uses the GPS signal to point to a waypoint, and once you are near a that waypoint, the GPS signal might send you roundabout. One can use the distance to waypoint or map to know when one is near a set of coordinates.

Edited by coggins

What type of batteries are you using?

Also, I assume you know that once you get within the GPS zone of error, the navigation arrow will jump around quite a bit. This has nothing to do with the fact that it's an electronic compass. You would notice the same thing if you were continually taking reading with a magnetic compass. It's a function of the GPS signal, not the compass.

I'm using alkalines and the compass issue has occured with fresh ones. Also this has nothing to do with the navigation arrow, I'm talking about the accuracy of the compass readings as this problem has occured even when I'm not navigating to a waypoint. I agree with "jimlarkey" that it is no big deal to recalibrate, but I am curious to know if this frequent need to do so happens with other 60csx users.

Edited by SPRINGDOG

Prime :

As Prine knows, a unit a with magnetic compass is a lot like a lensatic compass (and should be held level just like one to work properly) and will work without any GPS signal. But the DOT indicator uses the GPS signal to point to a waypoint, and once you are near a that waypoint, the GPS signal might send you roundabout. One can use the distance to waypoint or map to know when one is near a set of coordinates.

Coggins is spot-on. It's the navigation arrow that will jump around, but a lot of people confuse that with the compass, and think their a compass problem when they get close to the cache.

Yup. I have to recalbrate every time i power on. Seems rediculous to me as the gps knows which way is north etc by the satelite position but the compass is off. You would think the gps coodinates would communicate with the compass and correct it but nooooo.

I also own a 60csx and have noticed that when the batteries start to drop that I need to calibrate the compass. Once I change the batteries everything is fine. When I was just starting it bothered me that the compass was point the opposite way I was walking yet the distance to the cache was getting smaller. Now when I see that happening I just change the batteries and all is fine.

Yup. I have to recalbrate every time i power on. Seems rediculous to me as the gps knows which way is north etc by the satelite position but the compass is off. You would think the gps coodinates would communicate with the compass and correct it but nooooo.

Electronic compasses can't be calibrated by just knowing a direction.

When my arrow is going bananas I just press and hold the PAGE button to turn off the electronic compass and that often helps. I used to cache without an electronic compass, so doing this is no big deal to me. This is also quicker than recalibrating and solves a typically temporary issue. When I want the electronic compass back I just press and hold the PAGE button again to turn it back on.