Garmin eTrex-H has too few digits

I have a Garmin eTrex-H, as it was all I could afford when I bought it. I was able to get the computer cable for it, and am able to click "send to GPS", BUT:

I can download a GPX file or a LOC file, but when I attempt to find them, I realize that some of them are missing.

You see, the eTrex-H has six place holders in the cache name, but many caches nowadays, especially new ones, have seven digits/letters, so any that have the first six letters/numbers identical get wiped out by others, leaving me all dressed up and nowhere to go. Last week I downloaded a series of new caches, many of which were identical except for the last letter. Needless to say, I was only to find one of them.

Hopefully Garmin will address this issue, or if they can't, give us a workaround. I guess I will just have to scrimp and save for a new GPSr. :unsure:

I strip the GC anyway, even in my GPSr units that can handle the entire name. I just find it easier to scroll through and differentiate to find a cache if I'm looking at the real "meat" of the name and not just seeing a bunch of GCs.

If you are on a Mac, MacCaching has this feature, so with either platform, you have a way to easily keep out the GC. Having GSAK or MacCaching do it for you is very slick and automated. I still have an original little yellow Etrex that I use for backup or a loaner, and I still load the caches into it 500 at a time with a pocket query and MacCaching, and they all fit just fine.

This is one of the reasons I got a new Legend HCX. But before I got it, I would manually edit the code to eliminate the "C". This kept all the Geocaches on the same page.

I am so glad to hear you are a Legend HCX owner.

I am haveing problems useing mine .I just purchased it and after reading the manual I still don't know how to get it to work for geocacheing.

I have followed the instruction's to the letter and the problem I am having is when you set a waypoint and try to go from there to a cache when you get inside of 1 mile a circle appears around the arrow that represents you and it will not allow the cache inside that circle and the closer you zoom in the bigger the circle gets.

This stops you from getting close to the cache.

If you can help me I would appercate it very much but make the instruction's very simple like I said I just started useing a GPS.

:angry: