Garmin Colorado 400T, Mapsource topo and CN 2009 NT

Paul_Aris

This is weird I have a 400t which is supposed to have the Latest topo maps already preloaded. I also own a copy of the Old Mapsource Topo USA (not 2008) and City Navigator NT 2009. CN is loaded onto the GPS.

So this past week I was out snowmobiling with my 400T and I was looking for a way to get to this really small town. In this town there are a couple of lakes. Well none of the lakes show up on my GPS. So I looked at the maps on the computer. Also, City navigator 2009 does not show these lakes either. So I select my old Topo map set and sure enough the Lakes show up. So why would Garmins old Map source Topo USA show these lakes but the new topo in the Colorado does not? And in City Navigator other lakes show up but these do not.

Any ides?

Have you played with the more/less detail setting?

Otherwise, it would seem Garmin emphasized pseudo 3D over map detail, a shame.

Yes, I have it set to most. I had to do that to see the backroads. Otherwise I had to be zoomed in so far I couldn't tell where I was. Isn't a lake part of the land topography?

Yes, I have it set to most. I had to do that to see the backroads. Otherwise I had to be zoomed in so far I couldn't tell where I was. Isn't a lake part of the land topography?

How did I post and get so many posts. This site is crazy sometimes it acts like it will not load.

Yes, this site sucks. They have something misconfigured and/or their servers are not adequate for the load. Here's a hint, though--when it says that it had an error, almost always your post went through anyway. The thing to do is to go back, copy the text of your post out of the input box to save it just in case, and then reload the thread you were reading to see if it went through. If it didn't go through, you can reply again and paste in your text. But generally you don't need to do that.

Anyone else have any ideas why these lakes don't show up?
My guess is the lakes don't exist in the map set. Simply compare your Colo 400T maps with the Garmin Topo 2008 online viewer

Well the Topo 2008 Viewer seems to show the lakes so the version they have on the Colorado is a more striped down version of topo 2008? Funny they don't advertise the unit that way. So I should have bought a Colorado 300 and the maps on CD. Right now I run 3 map sets on my Colorado, the preinstalled topo, CN NT 2009 and Michigan Snowmobile Trails. I have the City Navigator on my SD card. In order to do this on a 300 would I simply just needed a very Large SD card? Still not sure why they wouldn't have included all the lakes.

Image-1F895BBCDAB711DD.jpg

Edited by Paul_Aris

The topos on the Colorado are not stripped down. Rather, it looks like you you have City Navigator loaded on your Colorado and that is what is displaying in your screen shot - City Navigator has precedence over Topo USA and so it covers the topo maps. Here is what your area looks like on my Colorado when I turn off display of City Navigator:

352do4.png

The topos on the Colorado are not stripped down. Rather, it looks like you you have City Navigator loaded on your Colorado and that is what is displaying in your screen shot - City Navigator has precedence over Topo USA and so it covers the topo maps. Here is what your area looks like on my Colorado when I turn off display of City Navigator:

352do4.png

Awesome. I new someone may have a simple answer. I turned off city navigator map on my recreational profile as well as my geocache profie and all the detail is there now. Sweet. Thanks for the help.