Stupid Stupid Weirdness

Coyote's Girl

I think you'll find that geocachers are a pretty friendly bunch. Are there any groups or meetings that you could attend to meet some fellow cachers? Around here, we have a meet n greet breakfast just about every other weekend where some of the geocachers get together to chat. Attended my first one this morning and met half a dozen new friends. Good luck.

I'd like to find someone to go caching with. More eyes are better than just my two. But I feel strange asking this of people I've never met. I know I should just buckle down and do it... But again with the feeling strange. How can I get over this...

You are in a pretty good area Butterfly Fox.

You can show up at a geocaching event and they will be very happy to have you there. New attendees are expected and everyone will be very helpful. You can find people at events pretty easy.

There are a few events coming up near you but this one looks good;

This Event is Winter Potluck & Cabin Fever GC16JBK

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...59-fbdc7c2b8b62

It looks like a real good family event, well organized and it promises to be a great venue for a new geocacher.

Here is website of a group active in your area, a great source of local knowledge and local help, you could ask in the forums there if anyone is going caching and would they mind having your company?

http://www.geostl.com/SLAGAPostNuke/index.php

I based this advice on your the locale of your finds so I hope it helps

Good luck

PS - I have posted an armchair geocaching adventure over here called a "Nice spot here for a bit of butty munching". I know the title sounds weird but it is something I read in a cache log in the adventure and I don't know what it means but I gather it is OK.

If you are a new geocacher then the munching contest is a good way to practice using the geocaching.com website. The puzzle is very doable and you could win a nice trackable prize. There are pretty specific instructions to get you started.

Edited by wavector

What about a real life non-geocaching friend? I took my neighbor one weekend and she had a blast. I also started a club with other homeschooling families and several have enjoyed it enough to do it outside of the club meetings. Start talking up geocaching with your friends and see who might be interested. Does any of them like to be outdoors, do they like hiking, do they enjoy solving puzzles or mysteries? Geocaching fits in nicely with all of those. Heck, my sister can't stand anything like that, but when we geocache she grabs the GPSr and leads the way. Why, because she likes to be in control. A little irritating, but hey, it's someone caching along with me.

When I'm not caching in the family unit, I have a non-geocaching friend with me (actually the wife of a friend... is that a friend-in-law or step-friend?). She doesn't care for the whole "finding a box thing" but likes the walk. She comes with me on CM runs where I have to walk a quarter-mile into a nature preserve. It's good to have company and it enforces our individual safety.

I don't really know any cachers in my area and I can't make the events, either. Most of them are in the counties south of me, which I never go to. But, still and yet, I have met and spoken with cachers around here and they're great people. We just aren't friends, yet... but I'm sure if I ever sent a message asking to go caching, they would.

So give it time. I actually think it's harder to appear at an even when you don't know anybody than to ask someone to meet-up to cache.

I'd say send an email to someone that you think is pretty experienced and around your age, saying that you're new and would like advice and help. Then ask if they'd mind going caching with you. You can also make a general post on the forum for your local association asking if anyone would mind going caching with you because you're new and want to learn more. I'm sure there's people in your area that will jump at the opportunity.

Happy Caching!