Unpublished cache archived

genegene

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had one of there unpublished caches in there "My Account" page Archived?

I just got a e-mail the other day saying:

Archiving due to inactivity. If you still have plans to work on this cache, please let me know and I can unarchived it.

I was under the impression that it could only be archived by the user if it is in there "My Account" Cache Que.

Now some background on the listing,

At one point I had submitted it for review and it was determined that it was to close to another cache. Instead of archiving the GC # I have left it in my unpublished caches list until I decide to place a cache and use that GC# instead of getting a new GC#.

I'm not mad about the archiving of the listing, just a little confused about how and why it was done. I have a few in my Que that I have not used yet, and its my understanding that I am now the only one that can ever use them since the cache #'s keep going up and old GC#'s never get recycled even if they have never been used.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Gene G.

Its happened to me. I had an unpublished cache moved by a reviewer because it was "located" inside a military base. Then a while later it was archived by a reviewer. I can't remember if my unpublished, reviewer moved, reviewer archived cache was moved yet again by a reviewer but I think it was.

I guess reviewers can see unpublished and it messes with some of them.

Some people do "hide" some T.B's or coins in caches but mostly its there own stock. I have never seen the use for that personally. I still have coins that I have never even activated yet.

If a reviewer can see the listing can't they see if there are any TB's or coins in them as well?

Your reply brings me to another Question. If a cache has never been published, why not use that GC# for a new cache. Kind of like Recycling a unused item.

I would personally feel much better seeing it used then have it disappear.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had one of there unpublished caches in there "My Account" page Archived? ... I was under the impression that it could only be archived by the user if it is in there "My Account" Cache Que.
While an unactivated cache in your queue does not get sent to the reviewer, it does, apparently, show up in a proximity search when they're approving another cache. I had a reviewer email me asking if I had plans on a location that I had a cache page set up for when they were reviewing another cache. Since my plans had fallen through for my cache, I archived it myself to make way for the other cache. I'd bet they found the old cache for a similar reason, and just assumed, since there was already that history there.
I personally wouldn't mind seeing unpublished caches taken out of commission. Some unscrutable cachers use them as a hold for stolen geo-coins and TBs.
Archiving a cache won't stop people from being able to drop a TB into it.
I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had one of there unpublished caches in there "My Account" page Archived? ... I was under the impression that it could only be archived by the user if it is in there "My Account" Cache Que.
While an unactivated cache in your queue does not get sent to the reviewer, it does, apparently, show up in a proximity search when they're approving another cache. I had a reviewer email me asking if I had plans on a location that I had a cache page set up for when they were reviewing another cache. Since my plans had fallen through for my cache, I archived it myself to make way for the other cache. I'd bet they found the old cache for a similar reason, and just assumed, since there was already that history there.
I personally wouldn't mind seeing unpublished caches taken out of commission. Some unscrutable cachers use them as a hold for stolen geo-coins and TBs.
Archiving a cache won't stop people from being able to drop a TB into it.

Yes, you can 'reserve' a location with an unpublished cache.

If you can't do something with it within a couple of months, it's best to just archive it and start over.

If someone else wants to hide one there, you will be asked to [proceed with your cache or relinquish the spot].

I have an archived listing that serves as my Geocoin vault, and I move coins in and out with no problems

[Edited to remove potty language. This is a family-friendly forum.]

Edited by Keystone

I've got two unpublished cache's in my account. One for my own coin's to collect dust in and the other is my sandbox to mess with html. One of them I did send to the reviewer's que by accident but I had posted a reviewer's note saying never to approve the cache and explaining why I have it. Then all of a sudden the reviewer posted a note about something to take it out of his que but he didn't archive it. I still have it to play around with html if I'm trying to fancy up my cache page.

Adding another cache to where I had mine listed for wouldn't happen because its just about 1.1-1.2/10 of a mile between 2 other caches.

That's why it was decided that this was not a good location. A mutual decision between me and my reviewer.

Same here. My unpublished cache that was moved and then archived by a reviewer had it's original location as on a military base. That area is off limits to placing caches so no one should have been trying to place a cache there in the first place and even if they were trying they should have been told that the cache they were trying to place is in an off limits area.

My bet's someone submitted a new cache within a tenth-mile of it. If the reviewer archived your oldie w/o notice, well......ain't gonna say there might be some collusion there, but........what waddles & quacks?

:unsure:

~*

I had an unpublished cached fairly recently archived by the reviewer (after about a year and a half). There were RxR proximity concerns about the original location (which was actually in a park on the other side of a parking lot from the RxR tracks). No new caches have been placed anywhere close to that location (the closest more recent cache was over 2 miles away).

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had one of there unpublished caches in there "My Account" page Archived?

Yes.

I had one that was submitted years ago under the account of the team I used to cache with. The style of hide was put on hold for the reviewers to consider how it fit the guidelines and after a decision was made I could not do what was requested. I was working on it for a while and eventually just gave up and pulled the cache but I forgot about the unpublished listing and then a couple of years went. I finally got a notice it had been archived a month ago or so.

- Rev Mike

The problem is that these caches show up on a proximity search when reviewers are checking the area for other caches when reviewing a submission. They then have to investigate the reason for the disabled, unpublished cache to determine why it's there.

This essentially slows down the review process, so many reviewers archive them to get them out of the way.

The problem is that these caches show up on a proximity search when reviewers are checking the area for other caches when reviewing a submission. They then have to investigate the reason for the disabled, unpublished cache to determine why it's there.

This essentially slows down the review process, so many reviewers archive them to get them out of the way.

Bingo.

Periodically I'll go through my list of caches that I have disabled and clear ones that are many months old. If the cache owner wants to work on it some more, an email to me with the GC# and I'll unarchive it.

For something like this, is it best to show the cache as being in the middle of the ocean or somewhere that a cache wouldn't be?

If they want accurate mileage, the coordinates on the listing should be near their home. They can create it and archive it, unpublished.

It will work just fine for storing coins. So would marking them missing, but I understand the ease of seeing them all at once in a listing.

...Now some background on the listing,

At one point I had submitted it for review and it was determined that it was to close to another cache. Instead of archiving the GC # I have left it in my unpublished caches list until I decide to place a cache and use that GC# instead of getting a new GC#....

We think alike on the recycling of numbers. At the time I had a cache that wasn't published I had to specificly request that it be left (as in not archived) so I could recycle the number. SOP is to archive the unpublished listing. That you had one that wan't approved and archived at the time is an exception to standard practice as I've seen it.

Quiggle, friends with large coin collections have created fake caches that they drop their coins into to keep them separate from the ones they pick up and move.

For something like this, is it best to show the cache as being in the middle of the ocean or somewhere that a cache wouldn't be?

As Isonzo Karst pointed out, that will make your mileage a bit wonky if you care about that.

In my review areas there are a few of these that I come across. It's an extra step but I'll review around it. If it's just a dead listing, I'll archive it.

I will randomly archive a cache without reason.

Just kidding. Some cachers do not agree with the reasons, but there is a reason.

Seriously, there is a reason the cache wasn't published. If you didn't see the Reviewer's note, then we need to see why you didn't see it. Otherwise, if you handle the issue(s) the cache could be unarchived and published.

I just got a e-mail the other day saying:

Archiving due to inactivity. If you still have plans to work on this cache, please let me know and I can unarchived it.

I was under the impression that it could only be archived by the user if it is in there "My Account" Cache Que.

Now some background on the listing,

At one point I had submitted it for review and it was determined that it was to close to another cache. Instead of archiving the GC # I have left it in my unpublished caches list until I decide to place a cache and use that GC# instead of getting a new GC#.

I'm not mad about the archiving of the listing, just a little confused about how and why it was done. I have a few in my Que that I have not used yet, and its my understanding that I am now the only one that can ever use them since the cache #'s keep going up and old GC#'s never get recycled even if they have never been used.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Gene G.

you could have sent me an email and simply asked. *shrug*

I realy wasn't that upset about it. I just placed the notice in a separate file for future reference when I want to place a cache and use that GC #.

I understand that you see caches when you do a proximity search for nearby caches and unpublished ones show up.

I was just curious as to if other cachers have had the same experience with caches in there Que being archived.