COINTEST: "Nice spot here for a bit of butty munching"

wavector

Oh boy- you were right wavector, they are getting hard much quicker! I'm pleased though that I got the answers right for the first round! I can identify some of the photos here easily but I guess I will have to spend a couple of hours in research and get back to you! Well done snowball58!

Edited three hours later- Sorry but I give up, I have 3 answers and I really don't think I can get anymore as i haven't been here long enough to know some of these people and photos. Have fun and good luck everyone for the rest of this cointest :angry:

NOOOOOOOooooooooooo, BoatBird. You get back here!!!! .

I'm stuck on 9 10 11 12 15 16 17 19 20 BUT I'm not giving up yet.

Here , grab the rope and pull yourself and let's go. Listen to wavector , there are like 9 answers within the four answers from stage 1 and I didn't know that untill I read your post, So, Lets' Go!!!!!!!!!

Opalsns

Quick Question to wavector,

Is the Latin name of that bird in the logs , or are we to use the name that's mentioned in the logs ,

Not enough sleep and too much coffee makes Opalsns .....

What, where am I?????

TeeHee!!!

Opalsns

I was very surprised to see it called the name the geocacher used in the log. I live on the other side of the world so I had to go check because I am a bird lover.

It is indeed called the name the geocacher called it but no one over here would call it that. We use that name for a very different bird.

Hence the name I want to see is the correct Latin name. This is a curve ball for those who live on this side of the pond. They will have to find the log, look at the bird and go "No Way" and then go look up the bird in a British Bird Guide to find the correct Latin name.

So the correct latin name, not the name in the log.

Stage Two E-mail sent, I appreciate the break you're giving us on this one! :angry:

edited to add stage

Congratulations catsnfish!!

You are the winners of the FTF prize for Stage Two. You guys are really quick, I am impressed.

Thank you for entering the contest and I hope you had fun.

I hope I will see you at Stage Three, Stage Three will be the final stage and it will be very short but very hard.

You will need to know Brandon's last name for Stage Three.

In Stage Three the winner will be determined by a unique method!!

Thanks again

Stage Two E-mail sent, I appreciate the break you're giving us on this one! :angry:

edited to add stage

Congratulations catsnfish!!

You are the winners of the FTF prize for Stage Two. You guys are really quick, I am impressed.

Thank you for entering the contest and I hope you had fun.

I hope I will see you at Stage Three, Stage Three will be the final stage and it will be very short but very hard.

You will need to know Brandon's last name for Stage Three.

In Stage Three the winner will be determined by a unique method!!

Thanks again

Wow! Thanks!

These contests sure do teach you to think and navigate the site. It's a good challenge for all of us!

"A nice spot here for a bit of butty munching."

See Update at the bottom of this post. This repeat makes it easier for folks to get to the contest bones.

Stage Two is much more difficult than Stage One.

Stage Two

Hello Everyone and Welcome to Stage Two

Things get a little harder in this Stage.

As you all know this is a story about trackable items and their journey through a cache.

If you completed the first stage then you know we just tried to help BexyBear straighten out his problem with the guitar geocoin!

If you looked at the cache then you know things have not gone so well at Hartshead Pike.

If you think you know the trackable items at the cache then you will like this stage.

You need to know a few things, actually you need to answer twenty questions!

These are the twenty questions in Stage Two of The Mystery of Hartshead Pike.

1) Who is this?

2) What cache is this?

3) What is the licence plate number on the vehicle they used to get to this cache?

StageTwoQuestion1.jpg

4) Who is this person?

5) What cache is this?

StageTwoQuestion2.jpg

6) Who is this person?

7) What cache is this?

8) What is the TB code

StageTwoQuestion3.jpg

9) What is the correct Latin name for this bird?

10) What cache is this?

11) What trackable item was dropped?

12) Which specific log is missing?

StageTwoQuestion4.jpg

13) Where is this TB?

14) Which geocacher told everyone it was missing?

StageTwoQuestion5.jpg

15) What TB is this?

16) Provide the Public code

17) Provide the secret tracking code.

StageTwoQuestion6.jpg

These threee questions have no associated pictures.

18) Name the the very first cache the reading mouse ever visited?

19) What is Brandon's geocaching name?

20) Who does Brandon cache with?

If these answers aren't immediately apparent that is OK, that is why it is a mystery!

Stage Three gets even harder than this, this is a walk in the park compared to Stage Three.

To qualify for the Stage Two prize you only need to answer these twenty questions.

This is the largest Stage in terms of questions, Stage Three will be very short.

Congratulations to catsnfish on winning the FTF prize for Stage Two, a First Geocache in Canada Geocoin.

Have fun everyone and I hope you learn a little about tracking trackable items through a cache!

I am going to make Questions 19 and 20 optional for everyone, they might appear in Stage Three though. If you have answered those two questions already then you can substitute those for two questions you haven't answered. This means you only need to answer 18 of the questions.

I am going to allow one error in any entry.

I am going to allow two different responses for Question 14.

Edited by wavector

Do I get the chance to win half a coin for having half the answers???? :D

Still plodding on..... 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 14, and the last elusive three still lacking *sigh*

Edit:

Well slap me silly d'oh! I should have read what opalsns said and took notice of it.... managed to solve 4 and 5 within seconds of writing this message.... nearly three quarters done -_-

Edited by BoatBird

I see the two Stage Three type questions are proving to be a bear for some. ;)

I won't be giving any hints for those Questions but in Stage Three you will encounter them again, along with several other questions of the same level of difficulty. You will have an IN however, a lead off that helps get you started and that should help you find the information you will need.

I haven't recieved any correct anwers for 19 or 20 so if you have taken a guess I can only tell you are wrong.

I have decided to allow 2 answers for Question Number 9 as well. I decided to do this after reviewing all the answers I have received so far and realizing that I was diligent enough!!!

I am glad to see this contest is rewarding those who have participated, the skills acquired will stand any entrant in good stead and I am glad to see that it is a challenge but still doable.

If you are looking at Stage Two then try it out, it is fun and you gain some good insights into trackable items and the advantages of using specific logging practices.

Thanks to everyone who has entered.

Edited by wavector

Not to worry opalsns.

If you do this Stage Two puzzle and get the answers right (take your time) I will send you an Albertosaurus geocoin just because you have been such a good sport, essentially you are automatically guaranteed a win on this Stage if you complete the puzzle.

There will still be a geocoin draw for everyone who completes the stage, this geocoin for opalsns is an "in addition to" prize.

Good luck.

Way to go opalsns, you did that really well and very quickly!

You are the new owner of an Albertosaurus geocoin which I will mail to you on one condition...

you send me a snail mail address!! ;)

I got your email but you forgot to include your address.

You were 100% correct, even providing the optional answers as well!

You go. ;)

Nope never got the last 2.

I was givin the same break as everyone

I am very thanful for that.

I spent yesterday checking wavectors forum posts, There are alot of hints there, but I still got no closer.

Believe me, when I find out who Brandon is

everyone will know...... he will be the one reported missing because I kidnapped him!!!! LOL!!!!

One Thing I can say,after checking all his forum posts, Wavector has taken a LONG time in preparring this contest.

Opalsns

well i finally had enough time to sit and work thru the questions that gave me trouble. It seems easy now. I'll pm my answers. I don't think I'll ever look at TB's, their logs, geocache logs and cacher profiles ever the same. That's surely what the puzzle was about. Thanks for the very fun lesson in geocaching and trackables Wavector. My desk mouse got quite the workout.

408.gif

Ok, so I glanced at this thread a long time ago and just didn't have time to come back. But today, I decided to tackle it and WOW! This was so fun to do! What a great adventure! I have emailed answers for Stage one and two (not sure if that's what I was supposed to do or not) and hopefully I got them right. The most difficult by far was #18-20 (especially 19 & 20! Not sure if I got them right or not...).