Help and advice?

Wadders

Hi there form the UK. :ph34r:

We are coming to Hawaii and Vegas in August and I will be hoping to get at least a day or twos caching in while there.

As well as some of the urban ones I was hoping to get a trip to Death Valley and the Grand Canyon.

So a couple of questions please.

Any tips of "must do" caches?

I have a mio pocket pc which i run memory map on. I also run a garmin 60csx, obviously with the uk basemap on.

What maps do you guys use? and where can i get them?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Terry

We are coming to Hawaii and Vegas in August and I will be hoping to get at least a day or twos caching in while there.

As well as some of the urban ones I was hoping to get a trip to Death Valley and the Grand Canyon.

I have a mio pocket pc which i run memory map on. I also run a garmin 60csx, obviously with the uk basemap on.

Any other advice?

Thanks

Terry

You must do the wedding Chapel cache ..just for the laughter.

Any other advice?

Thanks

Terry

You must do the wedding Chapel cache ..just for the laughter.

I agree with jahoadi and john, you MUST do this one..

It is GCQ596 A Special Memory, one of the coolest ideas for a cache I've ever seen. It is a true drive-up cache...

As far as Hawaii which island(s) will you be visiting? There are caches on all the island, though Oahu (where we live) has the most.

As far as maps you might consider buying City Navigator for N. America then you would have the ability to autoroute.

jrr

We will be staying at Wakkiki beach, can't remember which island that is on, Oahu i think.

Terry

In Hawaii check out Big Trees & The Stump Ones (GCYHRK). It lists a group of seven caches along the Aiea Trail in Kaeiwa Heiau State Recreational Area. Easy hike of about 4 miles or so if I remember right. Be sure to read the descriptions since not all the caches are on the main trail. Another short walk in a beautiful area would be Jungle Ruins (GC15YY6) and Mason Jar (GC357). There is also a nice cluster of walkable urban caches in western Honolulu. Search for Maui Warrior (GC6A60) and check for caches nearby. Since you will be in Waikiki check out 4 guys and a gal (GC5DB9). One last one - don't forget to hike up Diamond Head to get Diamond Quest (GCA4D4).

In Hawaii check out Big Trees & The Stump Ones (GCYHRK). It lists a group of seven caches along the Aiea Trail in Kaeiwa Heiau State Recreational Area. Easy hike of about 4 miles or so if I remember right. Be sure to read the descriptions since not all the caches are on the main trail. Another short walk in a beautiful area would be Jungle Ruins (GC15YY6) and Mason Jar (GC357). There is also a nice cluster of walkable urban caches in western Honolulu. Search for Maui Warrior (GC6A60) and check for caches nearby. Since you will be in Waikiki check out 4 guys and a gal (GC5DB9). One last one - don't forget to hike up Diamond Head to get Diamond Quest (GCA4D4).

Is Hawaii easy to get around on?

Just a quick bit of advice...be sure your vehicle's air conditioning works good. It will be really hot in Death Valley during that time of the year. The Grand Canyon will be pretty hot too. Dress for warm weather, wear sunscreen / hat / etc and carry plenty of water with you.

Just a quick bit of advice...be sure your vehicle's air conditioning works good. It will be really hot in Death Valley during that time of the year. The Grand Canyon will be pretty hot too. Dress for warm weather, wear sunscreen / hat / etc and carry plenty of water with you.

Yeah, and make sure you have plenty of air in your tires (oh wait, UK, eh? that would be tyres) for the drive to Hawaii. :cry:

On a serious note, about what time are you going to be in Hawaii? I'm on a short term job here, and may still be kicking about when you arrive. If you want to do some caching or eating, maybe we can meet up. I can assure you that there are some excellent restaurants in Waikiki.

-Russ

Yeah, and make sure you have plenty of air in your tires (oh wait, UK, eh? that would be tyres) for the drive to Hawaii. :)

On a serious note, about what time are you going to be in Hawaii? I'm on a short term job here, and may still be kicking about when you arrive. If you want to do some caching or eating, maybe we can meet up. I can assure you that there are some excellent restaurants in Waikiki.

-Russ

LOL, Thanks Russ, we are getting into Hawaii on the 19th August, looking to get a few caches done and one must do for me is the Earth cache on the north coast.

Hoping to have a taste of the local food as well.

Terry

Anyone tell me the best way to visit the Grand Canyon?

I have been looking at the web for some of the tours but am just curious if it is better to wait until we get there to try and book something?

Any thoughts?

Terry

For an introduction just drive the south rim and visit the viewpoints. If a hiker then head down the Bright Angel Trail as far as you are comfortable with. If you really want to experience the canyon then an oared-raft tour from Lee's Ferry with an outfitter such as Arizona Raft Adventures (AZRA).

Anyone tell me the best way to visit the Grand Canyon?

I have been looking at the web for some of the tours but am just curious if it is better to wait until we get there to try and book something?

Any thoughts?

Terry

For an introduction just drive the south rim and visit the viewpoints. If a hiker then head down the Bright Angel Trail as far as you are comfortable with. If you really want to experience the canyon then an oared-raft tour from Lee's Ferry with an outfitter such as Arizona Raft Adventures (AZRA).

Thanks Rowdies, i shall have a look at them via the internet :antenna:

May I jump in here and ask a question or two too? I am coming to Vegas in May and will have three days completely free to play out and about. I have tried to get into the Nevada Geocachers and can't seem to sign up for an account for some reason.....

Any idea who I should contact for help?

I am reading with interest the don't miss stuff too and am really really excited about coming out west for my first time ever. I hope to get out and see things I have never seen. I'd love to hook up with someone in the know to get advice.

Have a great trip in August!

nurse nanna

May I jump in here and ask a question or two too? I am coming to Vegas in May and will have three days completely free to play out and about. I have tried to get into the Nevada Geocachers and can't seem to sign up for an account for some reason.....

Any idea who I should contact for help?

I am reading with interest the don't miss stuff too and am really really excited about coming out west for my first time ever. I hope to get out and see things I have never seen. I'd love to hook up with someone in the know to get advice.

Have a great trip in August!

nurse nanna

I see you made it onto the site. I am back from my road trip so I can pay a bit more attention now. :rolleyes:

Post more details of what you are looking ofr on NevadaGeocaching and we will see what we can come up with.

Guys/Gals, i need some help here :)

As you know we are coming over in August and i am trying to sort out our itinerary.

One of the things we want to do is to do a particular grand canyon tour, but it starts from grand Canyon airport on the south rim.

However i am struggling to find out how to get to that airport, i know that i can drive, but it is 280 miles ish!

Is there any other way to get to this airport?

If any of you local people have any ideas i would appreciate it.

thanks

terry

There is bus service to that area from Las Vegas, but most are tied in with tours and treated as part of a tour package. So if your tour starts from that airport, you might contact the tour company to see if they offer connecting bus service from LV.

You'll be driving right over the Hoover Dam as well, so if you drive, plan at least a quick stop to walk around. If time permits, take one of the tours of the dam.