Garmin Nuvi

hisgrace1

I'm wondering does the nuvi have all functions where I can get rid of my palm and use GSAK on it.....and be able to download caches also...how many waypoints can you down load on a Nuvi....I got a Nuvi 205W for Christmas but had my husband take it back because I wan't sure ...I presently have a vista CX and a Palm M515 would like to see if there's a easier way

Not sure if this will answer your questions as there's a lot of subjectivity to this topic.... but here goes...

I have a 60CSx, Palm Tungsten and a brand new Nuvi 500

- 60CSx gets all unfound caches up to 700

I've also loaded approx 2400 caches as POIs. Thee's some overlap in geocaches and POIs but for me it works .

- Palm has my entire GSAK database loaded using cachemate.

- Nuvi 500 has basically same cache and POI database as the 60Csx. I have 700 caches, 2300 cache POIs and a Dunkin Donuts POI database of over 5200 locations. These are loaded on a micro SD card.

Wo why the Nuvi? I needed something for navigating in the Jeep. Screen size on the 60CSx was starting to give my aging eyes problems. I picked the Nuvi 500 because Garmin claims it supports Geocache mode and has the Wherigo player built in.

Using a combination of GPX file transfer as geocaches and POI transfer using POI Loader allows me to have much more detail on any particular cahe than can be displayed on the 60CSx. It's very close to paperless in that respect and more visually appealing than what's displayed on the Palm.

However, the Nuvi cannot replicate the on-trail functionality of the 60CSx. 60CSx is more portable (fits in the hand better than the rectangular Nuvi). Nuvi lacks any lanyard attachment so it must be put into a pocket or pouch. The touch-screen is great, however, when moving it in and out of pockets the screen can't be avoided so you may get input issues. Additionally, the accuracy of the 60CSx is much better (not sure if Nuvi has WAAS) but I was constatntly 20-30' off where the 60CSx was displaying 6-10'.

So... I will still take all 3 gadgets (as well as camera and phone) when I go out as there's a need for all 3.

Again, probably didn't hit the mark on an answer but should give you an idea. Read up on the Nuvi 500 and the geocaching specific attributes. So far I'm very pleased.