60CSx vs PN-40

arz

my Garmin GPS III+ has served me well, and hopefully it dies a miserable death and leaves the rat bastard that stole it stranded on a dirt road in a snow storm.

so, I need a new one. going to get back in to Geocaching, as well as keep hiking camping hunting and such.

I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them, but point me towards true happiness. :ph34r:

my Garmin GPS III+ has served me well, and hopefully it dies a miserable death and leaves the rat bastard that stole it stranded on a dirt road in a snow storm.

so, I need a new one. going to get back in to Geocaching, as well as keep hiking camping hunting and such.

I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them, but point me towards true happiness. :ph34r:

I haven't heard good things about the Onix systems yet. I was seriously looking at the 400cr for the weather info as well as the map downloads.

I wasn't too happy with the restrictive licensing with MapSource coupled with the high cost of a new Garmin GPS such as the Oregon 400t and the additional mapping I would have to buy just to handle my trail needs.

The DeLorme PN-40 met all those needs in one nice neat bundle which included, GPS, Map AND Power bundle with cables for less than I was able to spend for just the OR 400t.

That being said, there is a fundamental difference between what you're used to and what you'll walk into with the DeLorme.

The map interface causes the most headaches. Once you realize your tools are built around the perimeter with the map in the middle, then it becomes easier to navigate. I like the fact I don't have to drop down menues to find what I'm looking for. The tabbed interface puts everything in front and is fairly easy to understand once you learn it.

The GPS doesn't do things the same way as the Garmin receiver does. Full paperless capability is around the corner (it is currently limited to 800 characters). Uploading anything to the GPS currently requires the Topo7. Again changes to download to the GPS from GC.com is around the corner and will include multiple symbology for the different cache types per GC.com's specs.

Customer support is stellar although there will be some detractors on this subject. Community and customer support to help each other is very strong in the DeLorme forums.

I just came on to log my first find with my new PN-40.

I'll grant that the software is somewhat unintuitive but after looking at some of the step-by-step guides on this forum and using the help files in the software itself I really didn't have any more trouble with using it than with most any new piece of high-powered software. Actually, I have not yet opened the manual.

Having gone through the process once, when a new cache turned up today in my area it only took a couple of minutes for me to get in into my unit and on the road … it's easy once you know how.

One more very nice thing … the arrow did the usual bouncing around some while I was wandering among the trees but when I looked at the screen while holding the cache in my hand I was startled to see +/- 0.1 ft.

So far so good. I am glad I chose this unit.

I looked into it, and I'm going to pull the trigger on the PN-40 on my next payday. I can't wait.

http://www.tigergps.com/delormepn40.html?p...channelid=FROOG

not sure if it's the best deal out there, but it seems pretty good. NIB - not a refurb unit too

IF you go there put in your cart and then attempt to leave the sight and it gives you another 5% or $17.50.

I got mine from them as well.

Is there a macro that will transfer the caches from GSAK to the Delorme like there is for Garmin like the nuvi's?

I can't answer that directly as I have never used a Nuvi. On the other hand, I transfer a Pocket Query to my PN-40 using the bundled Topo 7 after downloading. GSAK is not required for that purpose.

Additionally, DeLorme will be releasing their new widget, Cache Register, in the near future. With that, it is expected that caches can be download more directly, bypassing Topo 7.

Is there a macro that will transfer the caches from GSAK to the Delorme like there is for Garmin like the nuvi's?

GSAK uses GPSBabel to do the GPS communications, and there is no Delorme module for GPS. So the answer is no--at present.

Geocacher Marky recently publicly declared his intention to write a PN-40 module for GPSBabel, so that may change. Also, Delorme themselves have made announced intentions to make some communication widget that may take a gpx file from a program like GSAK and feed it directly to the PN-40. So there's hope for the future.

$309.99 at J&R now too. That's where I got mine.

J&R sells through Amazon. Same pricing.

I just ordered my PN-40 from Amazon last night. Supposed to get it next Wednesday. Been using my garmin 650 paperless and have been able to find 96 caches in the last 21 days. Looking forward to using the new toy in the woods.

I wasn't too happy with the restrictive licensing with MapSource... ...and the additional mapping I would have to buy just to handle my trail needs.

I'm sure you'll love the PN-40 and all it can do. I'm ordering one myself next payday. One thing I'd like to point out and one thing the Delorme cheerleaders don't usually mention is the huge volume of free maps available for your GARMIN units. Yes, even for Canada, currently being ignored by Delorme. Free, as in no cost, no licensing, nothing to buy. Free, download them and easily load them through MapSource. Check out FREE GARMIN MAPS And yes, aerial imagery on your Garmin is possible through third party software. BUT...

You're decision is made and it was a good one! Enjoy!

Edited by yogazoo

I wasn't too happy with the restrictive licensing with MapSource... ...and the additional mapping I would have to buy just to handle my trail needs.

I'm sure you'll love the PN-40 and all it can do. I'm ordering one myself next payday. One thing I'd like to point out and one thing the Delorme cheerleaders don't usually mention is the huge volume of free maps available for your GARMIN units. Yes, even for Canada, currently being ignored by Delorme. Free, as in no cost, no licensing, nothing to buy. Free, download them and easily load them through MapSource. Check out FREE GARMIN MAPS And yes, aerial imagery on your Garmin is possible through third party software. BUT...

The problem with those free maps you can get for the Garmins is that they aren't routable on the unit or in MapSource. I have the Ibycus maps on my Legend HCx, and I like them because it gives me a better idea of what street are around me and stuff like that, but if I want to go to a certain place, all I can get is the straight-line direct route. The Canadian maps are nice for our Neighborinos to the North, better than anything you can get for the DeLormes, but still not routable.

The problem with those free maps you can get for the Garmins is that they aren't routable on the unit or in MapSource.

True, you've got a god point there, but according to many who have bought and used the PN-40's, auto-routing is definately not the units strong point. I'm not buying the PN-40 for it's autorouting (who does?) I'm purchasing it for it's raw outdoor/hiking power. I'm keeping my Oregon for geo-caching and auto-routing for road trips. A Garmin with the City Nav software is the best availabe combo for auto-routing hands down. Prohibitively more expensive? Perhaps.

No doubt, and as soon as I get a clean bill of health from my doctor, I'm on the trail again!

The problem with those free maps you can get for the Garmins is that they aren't routable on the unit or in MapSource.

True, you've got a god point there, but according to many who have bought and used the PN-40's, auto-routing is definately not the units strong point. I'm not buying the PN-40 for it's autorouting (who does?)

Actually, part of the reason I got the PN-40 was I was hoping to use it for autorouting on my motorcycle. I don't have a mount for it yet, and the weather here is bollocks, so I haven't really tried it yet, but if it can get me from point A to point B (point A being home and point B being Las Vegas!), then I'll be happy. Still haven't decided which mount to get yet, the u-bolt one that clamps on anywhere, or the one that hooks on to the clutch or break resevoir. Also gotta see if I can add a cig lighter power outlet so it won't have to run on batteries for the high-speed burn I have planned.