DC caching

salmondan

Any of the virtuals on the mall are cool. Most of the virtuals are cool just for the historical context on them, but one of my favorite finds there is "Everything is Relative" (GC1B64). It is on the mall, but out of the way and somewhere you would probably easily miss if you weren't intentionally going there. If you are caching after dark, "So We Will Remember Them" (GC25E1) is amazing at night or in early morning mist. If you are going to be in Baltimore for a couple of days, try going to Fort McHenry. There is a virtual cache there and several regular caches close by. Try to go in the afternoon and stay for the flag retreat ceremony and hear the story of the Stars and Stripes. Enjoy. I would not want to be you in that DC traffic on Inauguration Day! :unsure:

Agreed, the Virtuals in and around the Mall area are some of the coolest Virtuals anywhere. That said, the period of time, both on and surrounding Inauguration Day is going to be VERY traumatic in the city. They are preparing for millions of visitors; many street closing, security is way over the top - just be aware. I live 20 miles outside of DC, and I don't plan on being any closer that 20 miles outside of DC on Inauguration Day :unsure: .

I whole heartedly recommend all the Virtuals though...one in particular is "touching"...check out "Last stop for a weary traveler" (GCK12J), that's bound to put a smile on your face...and depending upon how old you are...it might bring a tear to your eye too.

Bill

If you are going to be there for the Inauguration I would only recommend the Virtual Caches! You probably do not want to be looking too suspicious.

I was there a little under a year ago with ThirstyMick and another friend exploring DC and the Virtuals were quite good. They bring you to the lesser known interesting locations as well as the must see locations that you would visit anyway. Bring lots of memory cards for the camera and enjoy!

PS Be sure to enjoy all of the wonder Brewpubs in DC such as Capital City Brewing, Gordon Biersch Brewing, and Chophouse & Brewery. Perfect for dinner and some brew after it gets too cold walking around when the sun goes down.

Will be in the area for the inauguration, of course have to do a bit of caching while I explore. Looks like a lot virtuals. Any favorites to recommend? Will also be visiting family in Silver Springs Maryland and staying a few days in Baltimore.

Many thanks.

I wouldn't fight the crowd on the National Mall during the inaguration. Good Luck with that. During our much less crowded night of DC caching, the most fun was Neighbors (GC8A46). This is the Canadian Embassy, and is slightly off the Mall. Make sure to check out the echo chamber.

I have recently come back from a fabulous stay in DC, and I can wholeheartedly recommend any of the caches along the mall...

However... I have a close friend who works for the PR team dealing with the inauguration, and he just said that anyone wanting to "go do what we did along the memorials must be bonkers."

He thinks that the mall will be so packed that you won't have chance!

Just a quick one though, and I'll add my 2 penneth - loved An Honest man and trev's freedom cache the best... I hope to be back at the end of the year and maybe I'll finish the rest of the virtuals then!!!