Need help setting up new Etrex.

matter23

My wife bought me a Etrex Legend HCx. I went out geocaching the other day and found out that the waypoints/caches were way off. I believe its either the unit or the Mapsource program that threw me off.

My question is:

Is there a link someone can post or tell me what the Postion Format (ie hddd mm.mmm), Map Datum, Distance, Speed, and all the setup information that needs to be inputted in order to do geocaching????

Thanks!

i am fairly new my self and you shouldn't have to do anything special to set up for GC the coordinates are just that they are only as good as the persons GPSr is that set the cache out , and more times then not it will not put you right on top of the cache......kind of takes the fun out of it if you are able to walk right to it and "HEY THERE IT IS " usually you need to search a within a 20ft radius or your final destination i have the Etrex Venture HC and never did anything special to it , i did however just discover that i was choosing my caches from the map (clicking on the treasure chest, then selecting goto) well i went out this week with a friend and his gps had different coords then what mine did for the same cache (his was right mine was wrong) well later is when i discovered that by clicking on the treasure chest i was actually moving it on the map and there for changing the coords for it!! hope this info helps i will keep my eye on this thread in case i am wrong on any special setup that maybe i didnt do??????

Edited by lkrus

My wife bought me a Etrex Legend HCx. I went out geocaching the other day and found out that the waypoints/caches were way off. I believe its either the unit or the Mapsource program that threw me off.

My question is:

Is there a link someone can post or tell me what the Postion Format (ie hddd mm.mmm), Map Datum, Distance, Speed, and all the setup information that needs to be inputted in order to do geocaching????

Thanks!

How far off is "Way Off" ?

My question is:

Thanks!

The format is exactly as you have indicated... hddd mm.mmm. The datum is WGS84, but I believe that is the default for any GPS produced now. At least it was on my Legend and 60Csx units. As far as Distance, speed... you don't set that up. That just responds to your actual position. Not sure what other information you are asking about. Typically the Etrex units are ready to go, right out of the box.

"Way off" was 50 yards. I was at a playground and the cache would have been somewhere between 2 houses quite a distance from the actual location. We relied on the clue. And it was a nice sunny day.

50 yards seems off, have you updated your unit yet? Go to the Garmin site and do so if you haven't, there has been discussions of drift problem in these threads (me too), good luck and happy caching.

Edited by kini_ont

I got a blue Legend 2 months ago. I am still learnig how to use it. It seems accurate. I just am having a hard time learning all the features. It came with a manual and a video but I think I would learn faster if I had someone showing me. I have used the satellite tracking screen to find caches by walking in the direction that makes the coordinates move to the ones for Ground Zero. I am sure there is a better way, but I haven't figured out how to use the compass arrows.

It also came with Garmin Topomaps that I can't figure out how to download them. I would also like to do "paperless" caching, but I can't figure out how to download the waypoints. Sooo, I could use any pointers anyone can give me.

Edited by acorn55

My question is:

Thanks!

The Maps that come with the unit are inaccurate. I usually print the google map out and get close with that. I then use the "goto" feature of my HCx. Another thing I've read is to turn on your GPS and leave it in one place with a clear sky view for 30 minutes or so. Good Luck.

My question is:

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For GC, You must / I suggest:

Must set Position Format to hddd° mm.mmm’

Must set datum to WGS84

I suggest you set WAAS enabled.

Set to Track Up (I find it easier to read the map display).

Set Distance/speed to either Statute or Metric (depends which you prefer)

Set to North Reference to Magnetic (with the magnetic variation) or True – it doesn’t matter which as long as WGS84 is selected.

These are the basic setting you need for GC

Then when trying to find a cache..

1. Transfer/enter the cache coordinates into the GPS.

2. Reset trip computer and clear tracks logs.

3. Make sure you get a good satellite signal with an accuracy of at most 15 to 20 feet.

4. Before moving, mark your position as a waypoint (so that you can find your way back), then,

5. Select ‘Find waypoint’ and select the cache waypoint you want to find and then select ‘Goto’.

Then use and follow the bearing pointer with the lat/long coordinates displayed and map for reference to direct to the approximate area of the cache (to about 20 metres), then switch to the lat/long display either on the trip computer display + using the bearing pointer and distance to target readouts and attempt to match up the lat/long coordinates on the GPS with the actual cache coordinates. Do not rely on the map as this can be quite a few feet out and it should only be used for reference, the lat/long display should be fairly accurate. Move slowly when near the cache site and when the lat/long coordinates on your GPS match/nearly match the cache site coordinates you should be within a few feet if the target.

Maybe someone else can think of something that I may have forgotten….

Happy New Year & Happy Geocaching.