Using the 400 for geocaching

brisey612

Ok, so i am using the 300 for geocaching. I realize this isn't the topic for that, but I think the answer to my question is realitively simple, I just can't seem to figure it out.

So I enter in the geocache coordinates and start heading out. However, when I get there, I do not know how to create a more precise measure of where the cache really is. On my old unit, it would bring up a compass and the needle would be pointing to where the (waypoint) or cache was and underneath the compass, it would state how far away the waypoint was. So, I am wondering how I can make the 300 just a little more geocaching friendly... Thanks!

p.s. let me know if I need to be more specific

I realize that that is a possibility but I am not fond of not knowing exactly how far away the cache (coordiantes) truely are. Maybe it is just because i am realitivly new to caching, but I typically like to track a cache from a couple of directions to figure narrow down locations where the cache could be. That is why I am not happy with just zooming into 100 feet on the map. Also I am still using the map that came with GPS (haven't looked into changing/creating/buying a new one) and that might be why it kinda sucks to just zoom in.

Display the GPS coordinates on the screen and compare them to the published cache coordinates. Once you figure out which way to walk to make the numbers go in the proper direction, just move slowly and you'll be stepping on the cache in no time. (assuming you accuracy is good and the cache owner got good coords)

On the compass page set up one of the data windows to show distance to destination. You can set each of the little windows up as you choose.

On the map page do one with the distance to destination and another with the compass pointer and you have the best of both methods.

Maybe I am not being clear.

I am looking for a way to cache using the Triton 300 where it will let me know what direction, and how far away the cache is. Any help would be great!