Fake Geocoins

bobandia

OK... so on a trip to KY from SC we planned to cache up and down. I tried to get caches that had TB or Geocoins. Several cache showed lots of them so I was excited to see them as we opened the container... Couldn't find any, but there were poorly constructed "fakes". We were very dissapointed. What is the feeling on these "fakes"? ;)

Hello my friend!

They are actually copies of the real geocoins!

some geocachers are making these copies, (some are made with laminated paper!) just because they do not want to lose their coins! They keep the real coin in their collection and the set free to travel the copy!

The copy has the tracking number on it, but yes! It is dissapointing to find only copies! To make all this road to find the cache so you can see a geocoin from close and then to find out that the coin is not a real one...

Of course, the geocachers who do that are just trying to protect their coins! There are many stolen ones out there...

I have had 3 coins go missing. I don't have the money to replace coins when they disappear into someones private collection. We use photocopies of our coins now. High quality card stock, full color photo, and laminated to protect it from weather. When everyone is honest, and keeps coins moving as they should, I might put my originals back out, till then, I take them to events. There is a cacher in NY who reportedly has "collected" several hundred coins, and kept them. He reads the logs, them posts no coins in their cache when he gets there. He was dumb enough to show them to a cacher he thought was a friend...he has told many people about hid theft. But, what can you do? I have a few hundred invested in coins, and because of guys like this, I will not put out another real coin untill EVERYONE is an honest person, I can't afford it.

We have about 20 coins traveling the world. When one goes missing because the cache disappeared or it's been months since we heard of the cacher who retrieve or it's not in the inventory of the cache since a long time then, we make a duplicate using the same tracking number and start this duplicate on its new journey.

We do the same thing when a TB goes missing. We replace it by an other one.

For the moment, I only have one duplicate traveling. I have to go through all the others to see if someone has been missing for a long time. I'm a little behind because I spend too much time on the forum :)

I don't like it either when I don't find the real thing but, I do understand that some people are afraid to send a nice coin into the wild.

Howdy! This happens, for all the reasons mentioned so far. However, sometimes a thief will take the coin and substitute a copy, so if the coin's page does not specifically say something like "this is a copy" or "this is a proxy", I would recommend that you (politely) email the owner and let him/her know that you found a copy in the cache. The owner may be just as surprised (and disappointed) as you -- as a victim of theft.

It's unfortunate that the copy was poor. There are quite a few people who take a real interest in producing quality proxies. Knowing what I know now about coin theft, I wouldn't mind too terribly if I found a proxy like this -- as much as I'd like to see the original coin, I certainly understand the motive behind proxies.

Like they said, to many go "missing". You still get the icon and something to move. It doesn't bother me.

Jim

Yes,

I only care about getting the icon. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest if I get the tracking number off a nice hunk of metal, or a cheesy laminated photocopy, or a well made replica.

But I do like to see what the coin actually looks like so I almost always search out a photo of that model of coin.

So using this logic of "I don't want it stolen" would you accept the same thing from a cache? I don't want my caches stolen so if I just put our a laminated sign stating this is where the cache was and keep the stocked ammo can at my house in my collection, would this also be acceptable to you?

Not every game is for every person, but if you aren't willing to take the loss, then maybe you shouldn't play that aspect of a game. There is no harm in not putting a coin out. It's your money. But if this is how you feel, then why put something out at all if it isn't the real thing? I am sorry but I just don't get it. It's one thing if the coin has already been stolen, but to start the "coin" out by using a fake is just lame in my book.

I'm in agreement with pghlooking on this. If a released coin is stolen, then by all means, recycle the # on a copy. I don't think starting with a copy is legit. Just buy some cheapies and set them free.

I do agree with contacting the owner if you find a copy that's not identified as a copy. I recently had a log that said, "I found this lame fake coin somewhere". I asked the guy what he meant by that, but he never replied. Someone grabbed it in Nov, but they haven't replied to my inquiries either.

So using this logic of "I don't want it stolen" would you accept the same thing from a cache? I don't want my caches stolen so if I just put our a laminated sign stating this is where the cache was and keep the stocked ammo can at my house in my collection, would this also be acceptable to you?

A cache, at a minimum, needs to have some kind of log. If your laminated sign had a log in or around it and was "findable", it would be perfectly fine as a cache.

Not every game is for every person, but if you aren't willing to take the loss, then maybe you shouldn't play that aspect of a game. There is no harm in not putting a coin out. It's your money. But if this is how you feel, then why put something out at all if it isn't the real thing? I am sorry but I just don't get it. It's one thing if the coin has already been stolen, but to start the "coin" out by using a fake is just lame in my book.

Okay. It's lame in your book and that's not how you'd play the game. Your opinion is clear.

Edited to add: I felt my response was a bit short and I didn't mean it to be. Ultimately what I wanted to say was this is your opinion, and that's fine -- and it's not some other people's opinion, which is also fine, since using proxies is not against the guidelines.

(If I wasn't clear before, I'll state it again: I understand the reasoning behind proxies and don't have a problem with them BUT I would prefer that people attempt to make a quality proxy and that they include the fact that it's a proxy or copy in their traveller's page description, so that I know it's a proxy. If I don't like the traveller due to how it looks, or its agenda, or I can't help it with its journey, I simply won't pick it up. I can't force or require people to put real coins [or even quality proxies] in caches, and I can't force or require them to put a proxy label in their descriptions - but they can't require me to move their traveller, either.)

Edited by Jackalgirl

I just leave them in the cache,They look cheap & are cheap also feel they assist people to steal coins because as people get used to them they move coins from the cache where a coin may have been replaced with a fake making it hard to track down the actual cache where the coin went astray.

May seem harsh but that is my opinion .

:) I have lots of coins that also disapear from caches ,I report them missing.That is just the way the cookie crumbles ,some of them also turn up a year or 2 down the road!!

I just leave them in the cache,They look cheap & are cheap also feel they assist people to steal coins because as people get used to them they move coins from the cache where a coin may have been replaced with a fake making it hard to track down the actual cache where the coin went astray.

May seem harsh but that is my opinion .

:) I have lots of coins that also disapear from caches ,I report them missing.That is just the way the cookie crumbles ,some of them also turn up a year or 2 down the road!!

Wait a minute -- I'm afraid I don't understand. You're saying that the use of proxies encourages theft? Could you please clarify if so -- I mean, how does that work? (Or let me know that I've misunderstood you.)

I came across a couple of laminated coin copies yesterday. They were clearly named and marked as copies. That's fine if that's what the owner wants to do. I left them and did not take the tracking numbers because I was not interested in tracking paper coins. I like the icons but I mostly like to see the coins. Without seeing the coins, I didn't want the icons and was not interested in moving them. Someone else can help them along. That's just how I'm playing the game.

Edited by jackrock

The last sentence of the topic starter was What is the feeling on these "fakes"? . My post was my opion and the way I feel about the idea of a fake geocoin.

So to break it down for you, the word "retarted" was my way of expressing its a bad ideal and not worth the time or effort made by myself to move a fake geocoin to another cache only to have another geocacher think the same thing.

I'm not an english major as yourself so please continue too correct my grammar

Tanks :lol: . (Armor Branch way of saying thanks)

I saw my first fake geocoin today and thought, what the he**. I just left it in the cache and rated the ideal of a fake geocoin as "retarted" :ph34r::P:unsure:

Sorry, you have failed to make a coherent sentence. Please do not attempt posting again, as this may result in additional errors. Thank you.

Edited by Cav Scout

It is indeed a shame that the growing incidences of geocoin thefts are forcing people to place replicas into circulation as opposed to the real thing. Because I want the icons, I will track replicas, but unenthusiastically. I am disappointed to find a replica instead of a real geocoin, but since so many times when a cache description page shows an inventory of one or more geocoins, and then you find none, finding a replica is somewhat better than finding none at all. I don't place the blame for replicas on the owners, but on the geocoin thieves amongst us. You know who you are! :unsure:

Well, I have mixed opinions on this, but in general I don't like it. If the Name of the Coin indicates that it's not the original, then it's a little easier to swallow. I don't think it should be allowed, since the copy is not what Groundspeak approved to put the number on.

I wonder if they will sell me numbers and an Icon for making 1000 laminated cards?? I may try that!!

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I have two takes on the subject.

First;

I also find "fake" or "proxy" geocoins very unpleasant and feel that they encourage, or at the minimum enable, theft. To those who don't understand how, here is a brief description of how at least one theft occurred.

A "coin thief" (aka scumbag) notices a coin has been dropped into a cache in his/her vicinity, the thief then travels to the cache as quickly as possible, takes the coin and does not log either the cache or the coin. The thief then makes a copy and places the copy in the cache and keeps the real coin in his/her collection. Sometimes copies can travel for months until someone informs the owner that the coin has been replaced with a copy, thereby hiding the location of the coin thief.

That is how that works.

Second;

I created a Geocache, "The Fake Geocoin and TB Graveyard" as a place where people could drop off unwanted "fake" or "proxy" geocoins. It is also a place where people could bury their lost TB's,

IF AND ONLY IF, they made a visit to the cache location. Many people disliked this cache and it's theme.

There is NOTHING in the cache. It is meant to represent the dissapointment of finding a "fake" coin or losing a TB.

There are currently NO fakes in the cache. Someone keeps removing them, without logging a visit, and someone also killed a small animal and put it in the cache to show their displeasure at the cache theme.

The end result of creating this cache is that there are far fewer "fakes" in the cache vicinity, and none in any of my other caches.

I also now have some very interesting insight into the behavior and ethics of some creators of "fakes".

That's my 2 cents worth.

So using this logic of "I don't want it stolen" would you accept the same thing from a cache? I don't want my caches stolen so if I just put our a laminated sign stating this is where the cache was and keep the stocked ammo can at my house in my collection, would this also be acceptable to you?...

Once you got that approved it would be a multi cache. :bad:

Caches have specific rules about what will get listed that set the bar. "container and a log" and I've seen container and log be the same thing and folks thought it was a good spin.

A traveler though doesn't have the same rules. There is no rule that a traveling coin be the coin that was made at a factory and it can be a home made version. The only reason you could call it a copy is if you knew there was a metal coin. There is no rule that says a cacher can't make a series of 20,000 cardboard coins all with individual tracking numbers and all of them worse in quality than some of the copies of real coins out there and yet all being 100% original.

The whole issue here is that folks are expecting one thing and finding another.

given a choice between finding a copy of a coin in a cache and finding nothing at all, I prefer the copy every time

This is exactly my feelings as well. I have no problem with a copy. It's funny how no one ever has a problem with proxy travel bug tags, now that I think about it. Those are just as fake.

If you don't like copies of coins don't take them, simple as that.

Part of me likes the idea of fake coins being in caches.

This way - when someone visits the cache to steal a real coin, they get a fake! haha! to them! Haha! to them!

However.... it sort of penalizes those that are legitimately interested in moving real coins.

Then, part of me thinks - if you change the name from "My cool coin" to "A copy of my cool coin" you can warn people ahead of time and they can decide for themselves whether to look or not.

Then, part of me thinks - that jut warns the thieves.

Then, part of me thinks - I wish we could do away with the icons on cache listings all-together.... this way there is no "alert" system on coins that can be used by those with less-than-honourable intentions.

After all - isn't geocaching about finding caches?, not coins?

So.... my final idea is that I don't log coins into caches many times. This means that my coin *may* go missing, but at least I didn't make it easier for the thief to know I was there. (yeah...I keep track of caches I find and when I find them, but don't always log them either - don't need someone following me for "free" eBay materials). I like to put nice things in caches for kids (new toys) and quality items for adults too ($5-$10 new items that can be used outdoors, for a coffee, etc. - no McToys and old paper)

It's better to do so incognito and let folks be surprised.

So.... fake coins! (opps)

I have no problem with them. If I see a real coin cool, if I see a fake then so be it. I just hope the cache took me on a pleasant hike.

1) Retarted is not a word, even when put in unnecessary quotes.

2) Using the word retarded as a slur makes you a horrible person, even when put in unnecessary quotes.

3) It’s pretty ironic that you choose retarded as your slur of choice, given your inadequate command of the English language.

I don’t mind proxies. Sure it’s cooler to find a coin or interesting bug, but I still like reading the logs and seeing where different things have traveled – even when the traveler is just a laminated piece of paper. It’s all the same to me, some are just more memorable.

:bad: Despite the spelling error the word is perfectly appropriate and quite specifically correct in the way he used it. If he called someone a "retard" that would be something else entirely. A proxy often exhibits retarded movement. To function at less than 100% is to be impeded, withheld or retarded. Proxies are often not moved because of what they are. They're impeded by prejudices of various natures. The reactions in this thread confirm this opinion. I don't agree that the ideal is retarded, but then I'm accorded my own opinion as well and this is what the OP asked to know. :lol:

Back OT though, please keep in mind that not every proxy has an original safe at home in someone's collection where it's lovingly doted on and hoarded by avarice. Proxies are sometimes the result of a coin that has already been destroyed, lost or stolen long before.

To everyone who feels strongly against the use of proxies I have a few real questions for you... do you check first to make sure each and every TravelBug is the original McCoy right from the starting gate? Do you refuse to move TBs that utilize the reserve Tag that comes with every TB purchase? How is one different from the other? :lol:

I told Eartha that I wasn't going to get involved with controvercial threads because I'm so opinionated and tend to come out with "Guns Blazing" as I was told...

But I do have to say this, Anyone who would kill an animal and put it in a cache to show their opinion is a Butt Sphincter , loser, that is a worse jerk than I could ever be with 10 Guns Blazing. It bothered me so much to hear that.

That would make me invest in a camera to find out if I could catch that culprit and give them my opinion of their Cache deposit.

No wonder I'm such a defensive person.

What a shame, over some trinkets.

Opalsns

Saw my first fake one at an event about 2 weeks ago....Nicely done, was on a lamnated color card and not only had a very clear, nice detailed picture of coin, front and back, but it also had the story and the mission of the coin. It was very professionally done. I wouldn't have minded finding that in a cache; although finding the real thing has no comparison.

I also find "fake" or "proxy" geocoins very unpleasant and feel that they encourage, or at the minimum enable, theft. To those who don't understand how, here is a brief description of how at least one theft occurred.

A "coin thief" (aka scumbag) notices a coin has been dropped into a cache in his/her vicinity, the thief then travels to the cache as quickly as possible, takes the coin and does not log either the cache or the coin. The thief then makes a copy and places the copy in the cache and keeps the real coin in his/her collection. Sometimes copies can travel for months until someone informs the owner that the coin has been replaced with a copy, thereby hiding the location of the coin thief.

That is how that works.

I'm a little confused by this one. Why exactly do you think a thief would bother to make a copy? He already has the real deal and obviously no respect for travelers so why would he go about making a fake at all? I fail to see how a fake contributes to theft by this example. :bad:

That is how that works.

I'm a little confused by this one. Why exactly do you think a thief would bother to make a copy? He already has the real deal and obviously no respect for travelers so why would he go about making a fake at all? I fail to see how a fake contributes to theft by this example. :lol:

Because if someone is logging the cache and the coin goes missing when the next cacher gets there, that starts to raise suspicion; especially if it happens many times where cacher "A" is the last one to see the coin. A fake allows more cachers to be involved and spreads the "who took it" around more to others. However, if the caching thief is smart, he just goes and takes the coins and never logs anything at that time. That way there is absolutely no record that he was there. In that case a fake doesn't suit his best interest. I guess it is up to the ballziness of the thief. Some want the coin and the smiley. Who ever said they were smart? :bad:

Then, part of me thinks - if you change the name from "My cool coin" to "A copy of my cool coin" you can warn people ahead of time and they can decide for themselves whether to look or not.

I've had a couple of people generously adopt a coin to me and this is, essentially, what I've done (but in reverse). At the bottom of the coin page's description, I have put

"Note: this is an actual coin, not a photocopy"

I suppose I should change this to "not a copy". The point being that I am hoping that if someone sees that, then finds a proxy, he or she will let me know.

I put out a 5 gallon bucket with 9 tennis ball containers in it. Both the bucket and the tennis ball containers were packed with swag. Each tennis ball container had a coin in it as a first to find rpize when that container was found after placement.

4 DAYS after I activated on geocaching.com it was gone. Over $300 worth of stuff including 9 coins. I still have containers I'll put out and I'll continue to play. Was I mad...YES. But that is life when you hide a cache.

I hate to find FAKES and will never do that to another cachers!

I suppose I should change this to "not a copy". The point being that I am hoping that if someone sees that, then finds a proxy, he or she will let me know.

This is an interesting idea that I might have to consider.

I have several real coins floating around at the moment as well as two that are "Spirits" of the Geocoin.

The latter are experiments to see how well they do.

They feature the front of the coin on the front and the back on the back as well as are in a form I put together with the hope of trying to make them more interesting.

4ddea224-c1a0-4aca-bc5c-0635dd71bacd.jpg

I will be curious to see how they continue to do. If I use them again, it will likely only happen when I have one go missing in the wild to keep it alive.

Another thought I have had is to have a replacement TB tag made with the number and attach it to an object with a similar theme as the original coin, marking it well as such in the description but using as a TB from then out.

That said, I enjoy geocoins and love holding the real thing.

I will NOT hold it against someone who uses copies to protect or replace originals as I completely understand the cost that goes into it ... as well as the pain of having them stolen.

-----------

Here is a question I have for those who are against copies ... Have you sent geocoins out into the wild yourself? Do you personally have any circulating around the world?

This is an interesting idea that I might have to consider.

I have several real coins floating around at the moment as well as two that are "Spirits" of the Geocoin.

The latter are experiments to see how well they do.

They feature the front of the coin on the front and the back on the back as well as are in a form I put together with the hope of trying to make them more interesting.

4ddea224-c1a0-4aca-bc5c-0635dd71bacd.jpg

I will be curious to see how they continue to do. If I use them again, it will likely only happen when I have one go missing in the wild to keep it alive.

Another thought I have had is to have a replacement TB tag made with the number and attach it to an object with a similar theme as the original coin, marking it well as such in the description but using as a TB from then out.

That said, I enjoy geocoins and love holding the real thing.

I will NOT hold it against someone who uses copies to protect or replace originals as I completely understand the cost that goes into it ... as well as the pain of having them stolen.

-----------

Here is a question I have for those who are against copies ... Have you sent geocoins out into the wild yourself? Do you personally have any circulating around the world?

I like the idea but I am not sure I would do it for coins. TB yes but I know the kids like so much to see the coins and to know there is a coin there and then to find a peice of paper is just not the same thing. I woud like to see an upclose picture of the file you make the Geocoin Spirit out of. Can you post a clearer and closer of picture of both the front and the back?

I like the idea but I am not sure I would do it for coins. TB yes but I know the kids like so much to see the coins and to know there is a coin there and then to find a peice of paper is just not the same thing. I woud like to see an upclose picture of the file you make the Geocoin Spirit out of. Can you post a clearer and closer of picture of both the front and the back?

Give me a day and I will size an image to show front and back.

Yep, lots of them. I have to agree with the others who don't like copies/proxies/fakes - it's just not the same.

I won't move a copy as it just doesn't feel the same. I do go hunting for coins, but enjoy them when I find them. I've seen a number of copies and it's never exciting.

That is how that works.

I'm a little confused by this one. Why exactly do you think a thief would bother to make a copy? He already has the real deal and obviously no respect for travelers so why would he go about making a fake at all? I fail to see how a fake contributes to theft by this example. :D

I can personally attest to the fact that this happens. I release real coins. Shortly after the release of one of my coins someone made a comment that they were disappointed that they found a copy.

Now my comment.

I think that releasing copies is lame.

When you release a real coin it is for all practical purposes gone, never to be seen by you again. Whether it travels for thousands of miles or gets stolen from the first cache, chances are you were never going to see it again anyway.

So from a practical standpoint it cost you no more if it travels than if it doesn't. The difference is how much enjoyment it gives your fellow cachers. My personal belief is that a real coin gives much more enjoyment than a copy ever can. I have several logs on my coins that would support this. Since my intent is to give my fellow cachers enjoyment I will continue to release real coins. If a scumbag wants to eliminate that enjoyment that will not reduce my contribution.

Now my comment.

I think that releasing copies is lame.

When you release a real coin it is for all practical purposes gone, never to be seen by you again. Whether it travels for thousands of miles or gets stolen from the first cache, chances are you were never going to see it again anyway.

So from a practical standpoint it cost you no more if it travels than if it doesn't. The difference is how much enjoyment it gives your fellow cachers. My personal belief is that a real coin gives much more enjoyment than a copy ever can. I have several logs on my coins that would support this. Since my intent is to give my fellow cachers enjoyment I will continue to release real coins. If a scumbag wants to eliminate that enjoyment that will not reduce my contribution.

Well, said! I have had coins released to travel to me, recovered them, set them free again - only to go missing. Trackables are but nomads on the Earth........some to be held and enjoyed, some to be tracked and no mysteries, others to disappear into depths unknown but yet, we should always hold the faith they might reappear. JMHO

I saw my first fake geocoin today and thought, what the he**. I just left it in the cache and rated the ideal of a fake geocoin as "retarted" :D;);)

Sorry, you have failed to make a coherent sentence. Please do not attempt posting again, as this may result in additional errors. Thank you.

All it takes it Two Misspellings to render a sentence incoherent???

I saw my first fake geocoin today and thought, what the he**. I just left it in the cache and rated the idea of a fake geocoin as "retarded " :D:):(

I can't help but wonder, how many of the people demanding everyone use real geocoins, have large private collections of such coins.

Yes, this is an old thread but since it's here now, thought i'd throw in my two cents. I guess i kinda understand why coin owners do it but at the same time, think it is silly. Laminated pictures, plastic replicas, and cardboard cutouts get no attention from me. This goes for any list of trackables or coin numbers that may show up at events and such. Imo, these goes against the whole concept of why travelbugs came about..

I never liked the idea of these fake "proxy" geocoins either, even after losing 14 of the 15 I have released. I still have some that I collected, but I don't add any more to my collection. :( It used to be fun.

I think that is why my next releases will be fakes... Used to be able to release and watch them travel. My last TB (was a proxy after the original went missing) made it to my cache to be released and was stolen from right there.. In the hands of the cacher and no email responses. Guess it will be proxy #3!

I also have a few coins I was given as gifts with no intention to be released. I would rather loose the proxy or have someone not move it then have it stolen within a day of being put into the wild. Maybe this will change but I think it will only get worse with time.

-Doc