Caches from 1998

Wegge

Within the last month or so, the year 1998 has disappeared from the date selections in My Pocket Queries. This may seem as a reasonably sane thing to do, but since it's possible to create caches with creation dates in the past, like GC1EHZP, it becomes a bit difficult creating a date-based pocket query, that includes this cache. Could something be done about this?

Edited by Wegge

Within the last month or so, the year 1998 has disappeared from the date selections in My Pocket Queries. This may seem as a reasonably sane thing to do, but since it's possible to create caches with creation dates in the past, like GC1EHZP, it becomes a bit difficult creating a date-based pocket query, that includes this cache. Could something be done about this?

Well, I think that cache is one in a million, as far as the owner wanting to have a fictional placement date! I actually know of a cache that had a bogus placement date before geocaching existed, that was angrily archived by a reviewer. ;) So I really don't think you're going to get very far with this one, to be honest.

It would make more sense to limit the placed date range from 2000 onward, or even from the current date onward. I just fiddled with an unpublished hide of mine. It accepted a placed date of 1956. I changed it back, so I wouldn't forget when I activate it.

For a time, there was an issue with certain browsers (Safari? I think) The listing showed as being created in 1901 (or some similar date). Either the cache owner should fix them, or they might contact a reviewer to do it, if its a browser issue and not something that they can correct themselves.

Well, I think that cache is one in a million, as far as the owner wanting to have a fictional placement date!

Just from memory... GC1CWX1 so now its two in a million. Anyone else ?

I actually know of a cache that had a bogus placement date before geocaching existed, that was angrily archived by a reviewer. ;) So I really don't think you're going to get very far with this one, to be honest.

I think the request was on limitting acceptable placed dates in the form, rather then increasing the range available in PQ's. Limitting placed date to 2000, makes sense as there probably hasn't been placed any caches prior to May 1, 2000.

Ys

Thomas

Well, I think that cache is one in a million, as far as the owner wanting to have a fictional placement date!

The cache owner or reviewer needs to fix. It shouldn't have been approved if it was like that from the beginning.

While I agree with both of you, some mysteries have a solution based on the "placed date", this is the case for this one. I know of a few other caches placed in the past, so it's not entirely one in a million.

But I really don't care one way or the other, as long as it's possible to enter a date interval in the PQ form, that covers what is legal to enter as placed date when creating a cache.

I actually know of a cache that had a bogus placement date before geocaching existed, that was angrily archived by a reviewer. ;) So I really don't think you're going to get very far with this one, to be honest.

I think the request was on limitting acceptable placed dates in the form, rather then increasing the range available in PQ's. Limitting placed date to 2000, makes sense as there probably hasn't been placed any caches prior to May 1, 2000.

Ys

Thomas

If we are going to allow people to lie about when they placed a cache then having a limit only makes sense if you think that small lies are better than large lies. I don't subscribe to the little white lie isn't a real lie theory. If you are going to allow someone to lie that their cache was placed in 2000 then why not also allow them to lie that they cache was placed in 1957. Either force the date placed to be the current date when the cache was submitted or allow any date that programming will allow. I don't see a need to limit the date to something logical but still a lie.

I actually know of a cache that had a bogus placement date before geocaching existed, that was angrily archived by a reviewer. :) So I really don't think you're going to get very far with this one, to be honest.

Ys

Thomas

Well, these are both in Foreign languages to me, so I have no idea why the puzzle for each requires a placed date before geocaching actually existed. Must be a Scandanavian thing. Denmark is Scandanavian, right? :laughing:

Did the removal of 1998 actually destroy your saved PQ's, or were they there but just 'incomplete'?

What happened when you tried to run an existing PQ that used to have a date prior to 2000 but now it only had an ending date and 'no' placed date?

Massachusetts has a cache whose placed date appears to be 1954, so one should be able to design a date based PQ to get that cache and others.

I've created a cache whose placed date is 1910, and I'm going to have it published next year. Not sure if Jen will allow me to do that without changing it.

But since one can specifically, with great patience, make a placed date be anything they want, then PQ's should allow one to select any date possible. Just what was fixed by Raine? I'd like a date of negative infinity, or 0, to encompass all possible arbitrary 'early' cache placements for the saved PQ's I have to get ALL the caches of all the New England states.