Bugs in the Google Map feature

cachermax

I prefer to use the Google Maps feature to look for geocaches in my region. Since the last big update (a few months ago already) I have several very annoying issues with the map that make it completely unusable sometimes.

All of these issues seem to be related to searching for locations that don't exist or that exist more than once. The problems happen with both the latest version of Firefox and IE.

1) Try to search for "laksdjflkasjdfklfalksjf" using the "Zoom to address" text box. After it says that the location for "laksdjflkasjdfklfalksjf" could not be determined, try to move the map with the mouse.

You will notice that moving the map doesn't work correctly anymore. The map moves much faster than the mouse. This is reproducible for me every time I try it.

2) Try to search for "laksdjflkasjdfklfalksjf" using the "Zoom to address" text box again. Then type a valid location into the text box and try to go there.

You'll notice that the text box stops reacting (only to valid locations). Nothing happens when you press enter or when you click the Go button. This is also reproducible for me every time I try it.

3) The "Parsing geocaches..." message sometimes doesn't go away and locks up the map. Searching for new locations becomes impossible. This happens every once in a while, I can get to this point when I play with the map for 5 minutes but I cannot tell you the exact steps required to reproduce the problem.

4) Some java script error messages that pop up from time to time (mostly in combination with the above errors):

Zeile: 2

Zeichen: 1673

Fehler: "Das Objekt unterstützt diese Eigenschaft oder Methode nicht."

Code: 0

URL: http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx

Zeile: 381

Zeichen: 35

Fehler: "Das Objekt unterstützt diese Eigenschaft oder Methode nicht."

Zeile: 1138

Zeichen: 43

Fehler: 'aa.length' ist Null oder kein Objekt

thanks, Max

I've noticed this same behavior for almost a month now in multiple browsers (Firefox, Safari, IE). If you put *anything* into the zoom to address box, functionality breaks down. The map gets stuck "parsing" caches, and if you click to drag the map, *whoosh*, it takes off at a much faster speed then the cursor.

My solution is to start out in Seattle, then zoom the map way out until the whole country is displayed... then zooming in on the spot I want to view until caches show up.

Has Google gone and changed their API yet again without sending a memo to Raine?

I think so. There was a post about it a couple months ago and someone, Raine perhaps, said that Google changed something, which was causing the maps to display incorrectly. He said GC was switching to a different API to get the maps working again. About that time is when I started experiencing the problems others have mentioned in different posts.

I find that if I wait for the maps page to load and then just wait a minute and before doing any searching, refresh the page, I can usually search successfully. But, if I drag the map or try to search again, the search won't work, and I'll have to close the browser window and reload the maps page and go through the same process.

Edited to add that I found the original post by Raine referencing the issue with the API.

Edited by Skippermark

And here, I thought I was the only one. Interestingly, usually, in IE, I can zoom to an address. I cannot do that in Firefox. This has been going on for some time. I really like the random high speed panning that we get now - completely unreliable.

I just assumed it was a Firefox setting issue that I couldn't figure out...

Same for me :-(

The MapIt! feature is not really working for me - maybe already over 1 month! :-(

I've tried iExplorer, Chrome & and Firefox. All in diffenrent versions. But no success.

When opening the map the first time everything seems fine.

But when using the filter, moving the map or searching for a city nearly every time the map stays blank :-(

I love the MapIt! feature! It's one of my favorite Premium Member features (filter)!

Please bring it back to work :-*

Thanks

Martin

Has Google gone and changed their API yet again without sending a memo to Raine?

DingDingDing!! We have a winner! Raine got the updated API key from Google and all should be well in the world. I called Sergei to complain but he was away from his phone :yikes:

~ Colin

Groundspeak Lackey

Live from the Lily Pad

Oh happy day!!!! Ooooh happy dayyyyy! :yikes:

MapIt! is now working fine with....

Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

Firefox 3.0.5 (Portable Edition)

Chrome 1.0.154.36

Zooming map, filtering, moving map, searching city, en/dis numbers...

Everything works!

Many thanks!

Martin