New Oregon update problem

Spot2

I updated the Oregon 400t to the newest rev. It appears that the compass does not function and the distance to the cache is way off. I cached today with a friend and her unit distances were a few feet off but my unit was 150 feet (+or -) off.

Is there something else that I need to go to get this update working correctly. We hit 29 caches today and My unit did not find one of them.

thanks all

Scott

sorry to tell you, read this;

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions#toc10

None of those have anything to do with the compass or 'distance to cache being off'.

2.6 Improved accuracy.

Doesn't matter, happened after his update and as I understand after his downgrade everything is ok, so whatever it is, it's working now.

As long as Garminprogrammers deliver soapopera's, we have funny reacting gps'es.

Bummer, it did not take the downgrade to 2.6. Not sure what I did wrong, I followed the instructions?? I thought it was working, I placed a new cache and tried to find it, still was not working properly.

On the compass comment, it was level and I circled slowly like it said with the unit level. i appreciate the ideas... please keep them comming. One note 3 days ago I was in Canada caching and it worked fine, when I got back to the US yesterday it did not seem to work, could that have been part of the problem??

I'll try the downgrade again

Scott

Edited by Spot2

Bummer, it did not take the downgrade to 2.6. Not sure what I did wrong, I followed the instructions?? I thought it was working, I placed a new cache and tried to find it, still was not working properly.

On the compass comment, it was level and I circled slowly like it said with the unit level. i appreciate the ideas... please keep them comming. One note 3 days ago I was in Canada caching and it worked fine, when I got back to the US yesterday it did not seem to work, could that have been part of the problem??

I'll try the downgrade again

Scott

Sorry, i mean 2.7 improved accuracy.

Don't waste your time, this is not related to firmware.

To recalibrate the compass, you don't 'circle slowly', you turn (rotate) the unit in a circle slowly.

When you move thousands of miles you always need to recalibrate it.

Edited by benh57

This may have done it... since it was working fine on 2.8 unitl I did the recent trip and it was challenging getting the downgrade. I went to the garmin update site and did a overwrite to the 2.8 that I had on the unit.

I went outside and marked a waypoint and walked down the street, I then directed myself within 2' of the waypoint that I set. Just in case it was a fluke I did the excercise 3 times while turning the unit off in between and re- directing myself back to the way point. I may have fixed it, I am going out to hit a cache and check it in the real world with crappy original cords...

Wish me luck

Scott