Music Cache

Picaroonies

I like to do creative caches and I thought of doing a mix CD in a cache with a Red Hot Chili Peppers theme. I would also have other swag which you could get, but if you brought your own mix cd you can exchange it for one of mine.

Anyway, I saw where someone else had a music cache, but he said to only include mix cds of live performances that are oked by the band.

So, do you think it would be bad for me to do one with just a general mix cd or do you think that would be frowned upon? Should I just stick to live stuff?

Thanks for any input.

That gives me an option though! The DVD thing made me think, I have a bunch of CDs that I bought for maybe one song, but do not much care for the rest and now that I have most of the stuff I like on all digital, maybe I can exchange some CDs ;) , either that or I will have to do the live music from bands who give permission. Most the people I am in to do anyway!

I wish our area had some creative caches such as these.

Sounds like your calling. ;)

I think you may be right. I've been thinking on this idea since I last posted. ;)

An ammo box would work out perfectly for DVDs. I think waiting until spring time would be best. Now, it's going to be hard to wait so long!

I wish our area had some creative caches such as these.

Sounds like your calling. ;)

I think you may be right. I've been thinking on this idea since I last posted. ;)

An ammo box would work out perfectly for DVDs. I think waiting until spring time would be best. Now, it's going to be hard to wait so long!

Take the cd you want to put in the cache. Make a copy for you to keep. Put the original in the cache to trade. That way you are not distributing pirated copies. Put those directions on the cache description as well. Sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted.

There is a local cache here called "Sweet Sounds" that is located next to a river in a canyon. It is an ammo box full of music CD's. They are all originals and the cache listing specifically prohibits any copied CD's from being placed in the cache and states that was mandated by Geocaching.com when the cache was published.

As for the suggestion to make a copy and then place the original in the cache, that still violates copyright laws. When you dispose of the original, you must also get rid of any copies you made. A personal use copy is only allowed as long as you own the original. Tis the law.

I stand corrected. Back in the day, the record companies had no problem with sharing a copy or two...remember cassetttes? But since the days of Napster and beyond I am sure they probably frown on all copying. Right now they focus on the peer to peer sights to chase but the day will come when it will be all of us in their sights.

Hrm, a music cache. I'm going to have to try that. Original store-bought CDs only of course, no copies.

I have a whole mess of CDs here that need a new home...right now I'm grabbing an ammo can out of the garage closet, putting a bunch of unloved CDs together, and looking for a place to stash them.

I'm loving the idea of a music or better yet a dvd cache! As there is a Book exchange cache in my area that is great. But my concerns are the extremes in weather and the impact on media sitting in the summer sun sweating away. :laughing:

But a quick search on google puts those fears to rest. With different media having different limits, but in summary I found this snippet. (everything you read on the internet is true right? :) )

"The specifications for the optical media are far in excess of what you

would be able to reach in normal circumstances, they are nothing short

of bulletproof, with an average disc able to be stored at an

astounding -40.C all the way up to 70.C."

So with a team promise that we would not hide our first cache until we hit 100 finds and had a decent idea and place for the cache, we can cross off 1 out of 3 with the other two being worked on. :laughing:

Bad advice.

As already stated, this would violate the copyright.

And "just sharing 1 copy with a 'friend'" would violate the copyright, as well.

Damages could be between $750 and $150,000, depending on how good your lawyer is, and how good their lawyer is. This would be for each copyright violation.

Now, if you have an extra $150 grand lying around, you can save yourself a lot of hassle and just send it to me :)

so if you put original CD's in a cache I guess they still need to be sealed as proof of new. Otherwise people could "share" the CD's over and over again, bypassing copyright laws.

In that case, you aren't sharing, you are transferring ownership. No violation. Now if you are keeping a copy for yourself, that copy would be a violation.

so if you put original CD's in a cache I guess they still need to be sealed as proof of new. Otherwise people could "share" the CD's over and over again, bypassing copyright laws.

Sorry if i'm missing something here, :) but second hand CDs are sold in a lot of stores, why would they need to be sealed as new? Look at them as a gift, you purchase it, open the CD and write "Love AlliedOz" and then give it to someone, no need to be sealed :laughing: