Creating Tracklogs, Best Practice?

MtnHermit

You will have to define your opinion of "best".....

Since you must have a Garmin, the most "trackpoint efficient" method for logging hiking tracks is "Auto" and either "more often" or "most often". The unit logs fewer points when traveling in a straight line and more going around a curve.

Time- most frequent possible is once per second.

Distance- so,even if you have it set for 10 ft and get over 6.8 mph (not likely if you are hiking) then the points will be further than the set 10 ft.

(Increased)Time / Distance settings can be used to record longer tracks at higher speeds to reduce the number of trackpoints logged but do so at a reduced level of accuracy. ( straightens out curves and cuts corners as compared to actual path traveled)

You will have to define your opinion of "best".....
Well I thought I did that:
Let's assume I'm creating a hiking track, not a road track and I want the most precise track possible.

Since you must have a Garmin, the most "trackpoint efficient" method for logging hiking tracks is "Auto" and either "more often" or "most often".
Why yes, isn't this the Garmin GPS and Technology Forum?!?!? ;) ;)

The unit logs fewer points when traveling in a straight line and more going around a curve.
I didn't know that, pretty sophisticated, more in a curve. :D

Time- most frequent possible is once per second.
Again, I didn't know that. Perhaps, once upon a time, Garmin actually publishes such information in a manual, fancy that. :P

Distance- so,even if you have it set for 10 ft and get over 6.8 mph (not likely if you are hiking) then the points will be further than the set 10 ft.
Theirs no setting for 10 ft, just More/Less Most/Least

(Increased)Time / Distance settings can be used to record longer tracks at higher speeds to reduce the number of trackpoints logged but do so at a reduced level of accuracy. ( straightens out curves and cuts corners as compared to actual path traveled)
I assumed most of this, but since I have a Colorado 300 and according to Red90, track points appear to be unlimited, well just give me data, no need for efficiency!!!

Therefore based on your comments, seems I should set auto and most to get the most precise 3 MPH max tracklog.

Thanks Grasscatcher, I do appreciate your reply.

Consider the fact that if you are hiking where multipathing will be a problem (in forest, canyons...) then setting you track points too tight (most often, one second...) you will record all those bogus points and your track log and mileage will be off by a lot. If so, consider stretching your recorded points out some.

I don't know if Garmin has published the min 1/sec time in a manual but I have software that I can read the timestamp on each logged trackpoint , so I can easily see that that is what it is.

My 76CSx has slightly different (and more)Auto,Time,Distance choices but, in actual practice ,one of the Auto choices records the smoothest most accurate tracks.....even if you don't have to worry about effeciency or trackpoint limit.

I also use an external antenna (not possible on some GPS's) velcro'd on top of cap/helmet for best reception to reduce the problem mentioned by Eraseek above. Can also edit obvious erroneous points with Expert Gps to "clean up" any bad areas or remove wrong turn portions and backtracks.

Happy Track Logging in the New Year

Edited by Grasscatcher
Consider the fact that if you are hiking where multipathing will be a problem (in forest, canyons...) then setting you track points too tight (most often, one second...) you will record all those bogus points and your track log and mileage will be off by a lot. If so, consider stretching your recorded points out some.
This is a signal to noise issue. Your reply would have me avoid noise by not recording signal. I think not.

If noise is present, it should be visually obvious and easy to delete.

I also use an external antenna (not possible on some GPS's) velcro'd on top of cap/helmet for best reception to reduce the problem mentioned by Eraseek above. Can also edit obvious erroneous points with Expert Gps to "clean up" any bad areas or remove wrong turn portions and backtracks.
The CO 300 has an antenna port, what/where does one get an external antenna? None on the CO 300 accessories page. I could look really Geeky with an antenna velcro'd to my hat. Is their a propeller option too? ;) ;)

This is how I'm currently carrying the Colorado:

Front_shoulder.jpgRear_shoulder.jpg

I'm recording BLM & FS numbered trails which don't currently exist as shapefiles, so just documenting their existence is a big step, absolute precision is less important.

And to you too. :P Edited by MtnHermit
The CO 300 has an antenna port, what/where does one get an external antenna? None on the CO 300 accessories page. I could look really Geeky with an antenna velcro'd to my hat. Is their a propeller option too? ;) ;)

I'm recording BLM & FS numbered trails which don't currently exist as shapefiles, so just documenting their existence is a big step, absolute precision is less important.

And to you too. :P

Just google "choke ring GPS antenna" for the best external antenna for accurate tracks, and you wont have to worry about multipaths anymore.