Paperless Caching with.LOC files

loadedgun

I just upgraded my GPSr to the PN-20 in hopes of being able to go paperless caching. I figured out how to download the .LOC file and transfer it to my unit, but all that gets transferred is the cache name and the coordinates. I was under the assumption that it would copy the cache description and previous logs.

If I upgrade my membership (which I plan on doing anyway), will all of this information be transferred to the .LOC file, or am I just missing something obvious?

When you are a premium member you can upload .gpx file which contain all the information you desire.

Everything but pictures, including the last 5 logs (or 20 logs if you download individually from the cache page) is included in the .gpx file. A pocket query can be created that allows you to download 500 caches at once.

Another great way to geocache paperless is with an iPod touch or iPhone. There are lots of great geocaching applications, a lot of them free, and a lot of them for a few dollars. Wherever you can connect to a wifi network, you can download the description, hint, coordinates, and last 5 logs for any cache you want.

I just went through this yesterday with my new PN-40.

Yes, upgrading membership lets you get the .gpx files which contains all the info. Right now you can only transfer the first 800 (I think) letters of each cache to the unit ... plenty unless the cache description is very long.

There is an upgrade currently in beta testing, perhaps to be released this coming week, that will remove that limit and let you copy the whole thing. Not positive it will apply to the -20 as well as the -40, but I think so.

But yes, in short, upgrading to premium membership will let you go paperless. You follow the same procedure, only you transfer the .gpx file instead of the .loc file.

Edited by TurLee

With the Touch you could download the individual cache pages and save it for later viewing in the browser. You can also obtain the GC App to search for and save nearby cache pages while on the road with a wifi connection. The compass will not really work on the Touch other than to point the general direction and distance of the cache from the wifi source. I believe the app works with both gen 1 and 2 (I have gen 2)