Mapsource deletes info when synchronising!

davonyx

Hi all,

Just a quick issue I need cleared up relating to my Garmin Etrex Legend HCx

When I want to upload from Mapsource, things get tedious.

When I want to upload a new map, it deletes all of the other maps on the unit!

Therefore say I have maps a. and b. on the unit, and I upload map c. to it, then unit will lose map a. and b., and will only have map c. on it.

I am not certain with waypoints and tracks etc - I havent noticed this occuring, although it may very well do this too.

Is there an option to get mapsource to simply send to the device without overwriting existing information? Nowhere in mapsource options or preferences could I find an option like this....

Thanks in advance

First of all, MapSource doesn't "synchronize" with the GPS unit. It sends data.

Now, when you send maps to eTrex GPS unit, it will ALWAYS overwrite the the previous maps. What you need to do is to select ALL the map segments that you want on the GPS unit and send ALL of them at the same time. This is the way that it works. Currently, there's no way around it.

Thank you for the assistance - thats cleared that up then.

Synchronise / send data - bah, you understood me, thats what matters ;)

It just seems a bit tedious, that if I want to install just one more map on my unit, I need to go through the procedure of selecting everything I had previously, and wait for it to send it all up again.

Thanks again

In Mapsource save a file "Mapset x" with maps a,b,c,d,e,f,g selected/highlighted.

Save Mapset xx with maps h,i,j,k,etc

Want to add just one map to what's already there (in the unit)?

Whichever mapset you have in there, just open that file,add (select) the one map and send that set. It will replace whatever maps are in the unit.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Thank you for the assistance - thats cleared that up then.

Synchronise / send data - bah, you understood me, thats what matters ;)

It just seems a bit tedious, that if I want to install just one more map on my unit, I need to go through the procedure of selecting everything I had previously, and wait for it to send it all up again.

You're welcome.

And yes, I understood you, but the reason that I mentioned it is so that YOU would understand the the program doesn't synchronize with the GPS unit. It's an important distinction.

And yes, definitely save the mapsets that you create in MapSource so that you don't have to go through the process of selecting the map segments each time.

Another easy solution if you want to add one more map segment: (1) open Mapsource, connect the GPS and download maps from the GPS to Mapsource; (2) select the new map area you want on the GPS; (3) upload the new mapset to the GPS. This eliminates the need to save a saved mapset.

Grasscatcher / Mama - excellent advice.

I just made a nice master mapset of all my street, marine, and topo maps that I will always require.

As suggested, I have saved this - and yep, whenever I want to tweak, add, change stuff - I will be jumping into that master file and will be uploading it from mapsource every time.

Now that I have this effective solution and understand how it works, its a tad less tedious now.

Thanks again.

GeoBobC - thats a great way to do it too - but wont it take 'double' the time to both download the maps to the PC, then to re-up them all over again? In saying that, this is a good backup system in case you lose your master mapset I guess.

And finally, fratermus - that was a fantastic link - its been bookmarked. Excellent, thanks.

"Wont it take 'double' the time to both download the maps to the PC, then to re-up them all over again? In saying that, this is a good backup system in case you lose your master mapset I guess."

Downloading maps from a GPS to Mapsource takes a matter of seconds; it's almost instantaneous (at least with a USB connection.) Having a good backup is a always a good idea, but try downloading maps and you'll see it is very fast.

"Wont it take 'double' the time to both download the maps to the PC, then to re-up them all over again? In saying that, this is a good backup system in case you lose your master mapset I guess."

Downloading maps from a GPS to Mapsource takes a matter of seconds; it's almost instantaneous (at least with a USB connection.) Having a good backup is a always a good idea, but try downloading maps and you'll see it is very fast.

Yes, it's fast because the only thing that is getting sent from the GPS to MapSource is the map name, not the map. Unless you think my 1.5GB maps were retrieved in 10 seconds? I thought that MapUpload will let you add maps to an installed mapset.