Rules on posting pictures in logs

I have aquestion about posting pictures in your logs? I have seen pictures of the area around a cache site but not where the cache is actually hidden. I was looking through some of the logs in caches that I own and one of them has a picture of where the cache is hidden, which pretty much takes the fun out of trying to locate it. I might as well tell everyone to look inside the hollow log. What is the rule and how does the general caching group feel about it? Thanks - CachinSpree

This is the cache: GC1K05A - Tornado Alley

Edited by CachinSpree

I have aquestion about posting pictures in your logs? I have seen pictures of the area around a cache site but not where the cache is actually hidden. I was looking through some of the logs in caches that I own and one of them has a picture of where the cache is hidden, which pretty much takes the fun out of trying to locate it. I might as well tell everyone to look inside the hollow log. What is the rule and how does the general caching group feel about it? Thanks - CachinSpree

I recently posted a picture of a cache location but it does no one any good. There is no hard rule about posting spoilers in the logs. Most will try to avoid it but sometimes there is something so special about the find that people will be compelled to post a picture. I would not be concerned about it but as the cache owner I believe you can delete the photo.

Enjoy

as the cache owner I believe you can delete the photo.

No, you can't. You can delete the entire log (including the photo).

But you can't delete ONLY the photo. That feature has been requested many times though.

As Kit Fox suggests, ask the log poster to delete their photo. Then give it a little time.

If they don't respond/delete, you have to decide how important this is.

You can delete the entire log (including the photo).

But you can't delete ONLY the photo. That feature has been requested many times though.

Back in the day, you COULD delete photos from other people's logs on your caches. I remember having done that once or twice.

I hate the thought of having to say this ;) ...but Kit Fox is right. Most cachers will certainly follow a polite request; it probably didn't occur to the finder that it might be a spoiler. I've done that a couple times without realizing it.

Now, with that said...I'm willing to wager that the majority of cachers don't view the photo galleries before they go off finding caches. I know that if I did, I certainly wouldn't remember anything useful by the time I got to the cache. With PQs, PDAs, GPS devices that can store basic cache info, etc., it's not unusual that I don't even see the cache page until I'm logging my find.

Kit has the right of it. If the offending picture bothers you, ask them to remove it. If they don't, you'll need to decide how much it bothers you, and if you wanna take steps against it. This isn't an issue on any of my caches, since for most of them the real challenge is surviving the journey to ground zero. I could put up a neon arrow sign pointing at the ammo can and folks around here wouldn't mind. If I owned any P&G's, I might feel differently.

The chances I'll have that photo with me on the hunt are just slightly above ZERO.

With 40 finds, that team seems like they could use a bit of gentle guidance by an experienced cacher.

Only you and the previous finders know that log is the hiding place...could just be a random log in the area.

I (and many others) have posted similar photos of random logs just to add to the fun. I wouldn't trust it anyway.

There is a cacher locally (OKC metro area) that was posting pictures like that in his logs. I sent him a polite private note explaining why that's generally not a good idea and he stopped doing it. I think most reasonable people would stop posting those types of pictures if the reasons were explained to them and I would bet that he/she would delete the pic if you asked.

I posted a picture with my log for GC1GBBB. A couple of logs later, someone posted that seeing my picture made their find too easy. I deleted that picture.

I would ask the person to delete their picture. Like me, they probably didn't realise it was too big a spoiler.

I was once able to validate that I had solved a 5 star puzzle correctly using a posted photo. The photo showed the finders posing with the cache container. Behind them was a fence (probably a noise abatement wall) with some distinctive graffiti on it. Using a site which has hi-res aerial photos that allows views from multiple angles I was able to go to the coordinates I got from solving the puzzle then changed the orientation such that it was the same as the view in the photo and saw the same fence with the graffiti.

As a cache owner, I would evaluate whether or not it is a big deal or not before contacting the cacher. If the container or the hide is really unique and adds to the experience I would ask them to remove the picture. If it is one of my ammo cans stuck in an old stump or other such routine hide then the spoiler picture really isn't a big deal.

A local cacher hid an ammo can behind a Tim Hortons. Not the nicest location but when you found it you discovered he had painted it to look like a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. In a case like that, the container is really THE reason for the cache and a photo would ruin the experience. (The cache is now archived, so I know I haven't spoiled anything for the few locals who read these forums!)

When I plan my day I look at SO many caches & photos that by the time I get to the cache site I don't remember which photo was associated with which cache.

If I have a hard time finding a cache and end up logging it as DNF, then I will look at the photos again looking for clues to help me on my next attempt. Otherwise spoiler photos normally don't ruin the experience for me.

Personally I always take photos away from the cache spot. Even if the photo is right on the hide, I tell my family and friends to turn in a different direction so that a reader can't tell where the picture was taken exactly when they arrive.

Speaking of spoiler pictures, there is a rather interesting thread going on right now in the Website forum regarding the EXIF information in some photographs from GPS-enabled devices and the potential for those being spoiler pics for mystery and multi caches. (link)

Interesting. For a traditional cache I don't see how a geotagged photo would be objectionable as it's not providing any information not already in the page listing. However, for a multi or puzzle cache someone might be able to determine the coordinates of the final based on a photo. On the other hand, one could take advantage of geotagging photos to create an interesting puzzle cache.

... I might as well tell everyone to look inside the hollow log. ....

Good advice above on handleing the spoiler photo. Most cachers I have ever contacted were quite friendly about deleting a photo.

as for the hide in a hollow log.... :blink: trust me - that is where 90% of cachers are going to look for it anyway.

As a cache owner, I would evaluate whether or not it is a big deal or not before contacting the cacher. If the container or the hide is really unique and adds to the experience I would ask them to remove the picture. If it is one of my ammo cans stuck in an old stump or other such routine hide then the spoiler picture really isn't a big deal.

A local cacher hid an ammo can behind a Tim Hortons. Not the nicest location but when you found it you discovered he had painted it to look like a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. In a case like that, the container is really THE reason for the cache and a photo would ruin the experience. (The cache is now archived, so I know I haven't spoiled anything for the few locals who read these forums!)

You gotta send me info on that cache!

You gotta send me info on that cache!

Info on that cache: (The cache is now archived, so I know I haven't spoiled anything for the few locals who read these forums!)

I try to be sure that my pictures do not give away the hide so that others will have the same fun that I had.

I had one occasion when a photo of my cache, nicely hidden in its hiding spot was posted by a new cacher. I sent a polite email to her welcoming her to the game, informing her of the general practice of keeping the hiding spot of the cache out of photographs and asking her to please remove her photo. She sent a very nice email in return after she had removed the spoiler picture.

I have had some photos that may be viewed as leading to the hide. So, I have actually put in my post that the photo may contain a spoiler. When I go to look at the photos, I have already found it or need a spoiler.

I will often look at the photo gallery of a cache to determine if I want to look for that cache. It doesn't happen very often, but occasionally, I will come across a spoiler picture that diminishes the experience of looking for the cache. I will not necessarily read through all the logs, so if the cacher posts that his picture is a spoiler in his log, I may not be adequately forewarned that I could see a spoiler.

I have had some photos that may be viewed as leading to the hide. So, I have actually put in my post that the photo may contain a spoiler. When I go to look at the photos, I have already found it or need a spoiler.

I will often look at the photo gallery of a cache to determine if I want to look for that cache. It doesn't happen very often, but occasionally, I will come across a spoiler picture that diminishes the experience of looking for the cache. I will not necessarily read through all the logs, so if the cacher posts that his picture is a spoiler in his log, I may not be adequately forewarned that I could see a spoiler.

i have not posted to my logs a lovely picture taken at one of your caches. you know which one.

you work is beautiful enough, though, that i had to post the picture somewhere because i found it so striking. it's kind of hidden, but if you know where to look, you know where to look.

As I see it, there are a couple of different types of "spoiler" photos. I think most consider posting a photo which is a spoiler for where the container is located (thus reducing the intended difficulty of the placement) is considered bad form. However, in some cases a photo can spoil the experence while not necessarily make finding the cache easier. One of the common sentiments express about placing a cache is "give me a reason to visit a spot, other than just to find a cache". That might be a great view, something unique and interesting in an unexpected place (for example, a unique sculpture off in the woods), or just a great trail. Posting photos on caches like this can spoil the experience of discovering exactly what makes a particular cache a cut above one that might just be a difficult or innovative hide. As nice as some of the photos are I've seen posted in the forums, as a cache owner, sometimes I would prefer it that photos of the area around the cache not be posted to allow finders to discover the view, interesting trail, or unique feature while in the active of searching the cache.

i have not posted to my logs a lovely picture taken at one of your caches. you know which one.

you work is beautiful enough, though, that i had to post the picture somewhere because i found it so striking. it's kind of hidden, but if you know where to look, you know where to look.

Aw, shucks. Thank you! I found that I knew where to look. Lots of really wonderful photos there! I'm happy to see my silly little cache included with them.

As I see it, there are a couple of different types of "spoiler" photos. I think most consider posting a photo which is a spoiler for where the container is located (thus reducing the intended difficulty of the placement) is considered bad form. However, in some cases a photo can spoil the experence while not necessarily make finding the cache easier. One of the common sentiments express about placing a cache is "give me a reason to visit a spot, other than just to find a cache". That might be a great view, something unique and interesting in an unexpected place (for example, a unique sculpture off in the woods), or just a great trail. Posting photos on caches like this can spoil the experience of discovering exactly what makes a particular cache a cut above one that might just be a difficult or innovative hide. As nice as some of the photos are I've seen posted in the forums, as a cache owner, sometimes I would prefer it that photos of the area around the cache not be posted to allow finders to discover the view, interesting trail, or unique feature while in the active of searching the cache.

This is certainly true. I don't think that an owner should be too shy to request the removal of a picture that might spoil the cache either in regard to its placement or its uniqueness. Generally, a considerate and well-worded note to the poster will result in the photo being removed and a note of apology to the owner. Sometimes, I guess a poster's feelings could be hurt and they might respond defensively, but I think that would be unusual. At least, that's what my positive thinking leads me to believe. Ultimately, it is the owner's responsibility to protect and preserve the experience for searchers.

As a newbie to the sport, I have to respectfully disagree about view photos and the like... I often search out such caches by the photos of the area when chosing where to take the kids.

I once had trouble finding Stage 3 of a 4 Stage Multi. I looked for it for quite a few hours over a two day period. I then studied the photos in the log and one of them show cachers holding the cache. While it didn't show exactly where it was hid I knew the general location from the background.

I then went back, skipped Stage 3, and went to where I thought the final was. I spend a few hours searching the area until I found it. No way I could have done that without the photo