Bernie Madoff-themed Cache Found by Geomuggles

Hanging from the 4-foot-tall, 10-pound statue was a note.

At least they signed the log.

But it does beg the question: What materials were used to make a 4' tall statue, that only weighs 10 pounds?

Styrofoam?

Hollow bronze can be quite light.

I couldn't locate the weight reference in the linked story.

Perhaps it was Papier-mâché?

Hollow bronze can be quite light.

7ca9b9c3-130c-492c-85d7-57a0eea34ee0.jpg

Could be. Looks kinda bronzish...

Judging by the surface area, the bronze would need to be thinner than aluminum foil though...

Maybe the newspaper made a typo? 100 pounds instead of 10?

Several of the 673 news articles on the cache stated that it was made of copper, and, given the weight, it is likely that it was made of thin formed copper sheet, which was then soldered or welded at seams and joints. In fact, the bluish patina on the exterior of the statue in the fotos is identical to the blue tarnish formed by copper oxides on the surface of copper metal when exposed to the elements (there are also metal-finishing processes that accelerate oxidation, yielding a more uniform blue surface patina.

Hrm... I have a few ideas spinning through my head as to how to set up a cache based on this story.

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone here in NH will make the connections, as this seems to be a somewhat local story.

Vinny, where the heck do you come up with this stuff? ;)

While I agree that the tale Bernie Madoff's fraud may not be well-known in the rural areas of New Hampshire, I can assure you that it has been my experience over the past few weeks that Madoff and his scam have been the topic of discussions all across the USA and all across the world, if only due to the audacity of the crime and the fact that he is alleged to have stolen 60 billion dollars, and perhaps also due to the fact that many very wealthy people and foundations lost most or all of their money in the scams. I have had folks from all across the USA and all across the world, including Europe and Asia, mention the Madoff affair to me since it was first revealed in mid-December.

Hrm... I have a few ideas spinning through my head as to how to set up a cache based on this story.

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone here in NH will make the connections, as this seems to be a somewhat local story.

Vinny, where the heck do you come up with this stuff? ;)

I would think that 5X5 Liars cache would be the most appropriate.

;)

While I agree that the tale Bernie Madoff's fraud may not be well-known in the rural areas of New Hampshire, I can assure you that it has been my experience over the past few weeks that Madoff and his scam have been the topic of discussions all across the USA and all across the world, if only due to the audacity of the crime and the fact that he is alleged to have stolen 60 billion dollars, and perhaps also due to the fact that many very wealthy people and foundations lost most or all of their money in the scams. I have had folks from all across the USA and all across the world, including Europe and Asia, mention the Madoff affair to me since it was first revealed in mid-December.

A bit OT I know.....and a bit of a stretch to make the connection, but this whole Madoff affair reminds me of that guy - was it 'Milliken'? or something like that; the one who was involved in the Pennystocks Scandal --- anyway, he was fined like $7 million & the newsmakers were noting it was the heaviest civil fine ever levied against an individual. But....but.....but............!! He was found guilty of stealing $11 million!!!!! I said then & have ever since - "Tell ME crime doesn't pay!!!" The thing I most remember is the pix of him grinnin' like a mule eatin' briars as they hauled him out of the courtroom.

And makes me wonder how light this Madoff a-hole will get off. I mean, we wouldn't wanta offend his delicate sense of self-worthiness or nuttin', right? Anybody wanta bet he won't be riding in a chauffeured limo 5 years from now?

~*