New user question

candive1

Hi all,

Is there a way I can load "All" Ontario, Canada caches to my GPS without going through each page and loading them individually?

Thank you

Chris.

For starters become a Premium Member and you can download them 500 at a time, up to 5 times per day for a total of 2500 caches per day. This feature is called Pocket Queries.

I think there are over 11,000 caches in Ontario. So your next challenge is a GPS that will hold all of them as waypoints or geocaches. It can be done as POI's.

But the better question: Why would you want to do it???

your ambitious! [;)]

As tequila said - You can do this with multiple pocket queries, but you probably can't find a GPS that will hold them all

everyday there are a few more published/archived as well - so you would spend much of your day attempting to keep your GPS updated [;)]

I recommend you start off small, and just do everything that is in driving range of where you are or are likely to be

The other thing is, - you should always check out the latest changes for the caches that you are planning to do that day, by checking each web-page listing just before leaving home. That way you will be aware if a particular cache has been 'disabled', or if its co-ords have changed. So that is really the best time to 'send' the co-ords to your GPSr, and either print-out or download the info into a hand held computer (paperless).

Welcome to Geocaching in Ontario - LOL

I'll help ya Tee off - Sorry couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, you will probably not be doing any caches in Thunder Bay on a whim so there really is no sense to have them loaded into the GPS all the time. If you plan to head out that way, load the caches in that specific area (that's the point they were trying ot get across) I usually have the caches located within 100 km loaded weekly and then load any specific trip areas we are planning on going to do a few days before we leave.

With Geocaching you always want to try to have the latest info as caches become archived (removed) for a number of reasons or new ones are added all the time, so loadign a huge area and never updating it would not be very productive anyways ad the info would quickly become outdated.

Hope that helps,

DD

Welcome to Geocaching in Ontario - LOL

I'll help ya Tee off - Sorry couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, you will probably not be doing any caches in Thunder Bay on a whim so there really is no sense to have them loaded into the GPS all the time. If you plan to head out that way, load the caches in that specific area (that's the point they were trying ot get across) I usually have the caches located within 100 km loaded weekly and then load any specific trip areas we are planning on going to do a few days before we leave.

With Geocaching you always want to try to have the latest info as caches become archived (removed) for a number of reasons or new ones are added all the time, so loadign a huge area and never updating it would not be very productive anyways ad the info would quickly become outdated.

Hope that helps,

DD

Thats true, do not overload the gps.

Can you imagine how slow the gps would be if you loaded

I have never tried it, but i can only imagine.

say 200 coords? I always look for caches within a 35-40 kilometer range.

If i am planninhg a trip, thats different.

Thanks

Thats true, do not overload the gps.

Can you imagine how slow the gps would be if you loaded

I have never tried it, but i can only imagine.

say 200 coords? I always look for caches within a 35-40 kilometer range.

If i am planninhg a trip, thats different.

Thanks

I don't know what GPS you are using, but I've never seen a GPS that gets slower because there are more waypoints loaded in it :D

My GPS can hold 1000 waypoints, and I usually keep it filled with over 900 (barely enough to cover a 25km radius around home...) I can safely tell you it doesn't have a noticable effect on speed. And loading all those waypoints in takes only a few seconds with a USB cable (took much longer with my old Legend and its serial cable...)

So go ahead, fill up you GPS, have no fear, it can take it -_-

If you run a PQ right before you leave on a caching trip, you will already have all the most recent information.... why would you spend all that time to manually check each cache?

Everything I do (almost) is from a loaded PQ (Pocket Query). I spend part of my week deciding where I am going to cache that weekend and the route I am going to take. I always use the Geocaching Google Maps for that and then create a bookmark list to save them to (eg. "Jan 24"). The night before I build the PQ from the bookmark list and load that via GSAK.

I do not keep my closest 500 like many do. I see no point. I want to only see on the map the caches I intend to do for the day. I don't want to open each one while in the field to determine if I want to do it that day. With the Oregon (and CO) its easy...once I connect to my computer and its sees the GPSr as a drive, I just go in and delete the caches.gpx file, thereby clearing out all of the old caches, then load the new file via GSAK for just the ones I am going to do that day (or on that trip).

Now, if I don't have time to go bookmarking beforehand and I am headed to a city for another reason, I will pull a PQ for all caches in the area just so I have something in there.

If I still had a lot to do close to home, I might do that differently and just load the closest 500 but since its 40km to the next large clump of caches for me, it makes no sense since if I put in a distance of 50km for the radius in the PQ, I will get a lot of caches in the exact opposite direction from where I want to go.

To each his own though...this just works well for me. There is no right and wrong, its just what you find easier based on your caching style.