GPSmap 60cx and City Navigator

Help!

I am pretty good with GPS's (I even teach GPS classes for Search and Rescue) and I am completely baffeled with my new unit.

I just got a 60cx and my primary usage is in the woods (K9 Search & Rescue as well as some casual Geocaching with the Family). I also do APRS HAM radio and needed a unit that could feed NEMA data to the radio. Finally, since I am a cheapskate I did not want to buy two units and have both going in the car (60cx for Ham Radio and another for navigation) so I purchased CityNavigator and a second microSD card for turn by turn in the car.

I have Topo 2008 on one microSD card for in the woods and I loaded CityNavigator on another microSD card for navigation in the car.

Ok, so that is my background (I know I am nuts) but here is my problem...I can not for the life of me get the 60cx to even start to navigate properly in the car! It will not start the route where I am at (usually starts at the city center of the nearest town) and will still only choose the major roads (ones on the initial basemap) and will not use local roads at all (I even have it set to use unpaved roads). It will attempt to re-calculate at each street I pass but will not agree to use the street that I am on. The only avoid options that I have selected is "U-Turns". I have "Automatic," "Best route", annd "Car/Motorcycle" selected.

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than buy a second GPS to do turn by turn navigation) to get this working properly?

Thanks

JMCBACKPACKER

Hi JMCBACKPACKER,

welcome to the board :)

to buy an extra device for car navigation is a good idea :wub:

It seems that your 60Cx does not recognise the map file on the card. Try another card or format the card before the upload of the map file.

Regards - Anton

Edited by macnetz

We have an etrex legend that also autoroutes and it sounds like the map set isn't active.

First you will not be able to route with the Topo maps as they don't contain the data.

Goto the menu select setup, Map, then scroll to the Icon that says " Information" and make sure the city navigator maps are checked.

This is how it would work on the etrex and from what I have seen the menu system is very similar on these two units.

If the city nav. maps aren't selected or if you have the Topo maps selected the autoroute feature will automatically revert to the base map

Hope this helps.

luckybobb is right about making sure your city navigation maps are active. Also make sure your card is properly seated.

How do you have your routing guidance method set up? I use "prompted" and "faster time" with next turn pop-up "on"

I am also presuming you have let the unit acquire a signal before you tell it what waypoint or address you want to "go to" by "on road" (and if you are geocaching, when you arrive at your parking place, switch that last setting again to "off road").

Did you know that you can load both topo and city navigation maps in your unit at once if you had the DVD version of the maps and a blank 2G SD card?

I prefer doing that, as it means I can load only what I really need--but more importantly, it avoids having to swap those teensy little cards in and out of the unit. It is only a matter of time until something goes wrong with cards that get taken in and out of the unit. Plus I can use the DVD/CD versions on my computer for route planning.

Edited by Neos2

Ok....I fixed it!

Many hours later (I have been working on this for 3 hours now) and tons of menu digging...in MapSource when you go to transfer maps there is a little box that says "Include route calcualtion data" it was not checked. Once it was checked then it does not revert to the basemap and uses the CityNavigator maps to do autorouting.

The reason that I want to use 2 cards is that on the 60cx scrolling through all the maps to unslelect a CityNavigator Map to be able to see a Topo Map takes a long time...it takes less time to switch microSD cards (and I got the 2 GB one practically free with the CityNavigator gotta love ebay!)

Thanks for the input...

JMCBACKPACKER

luckybobb is right about making sure your city navigation maps are active. Also make sure your card is properly seated.

How do you have your routing guidance method set up? I use "prompted" and "faster time" with next turn pop-up "on"

I am also presuming you have let the unit acquire a signal before you tell it what waypoint or address you want to "go to" by "on road" (and if you are geocaching, when you arrive at your parking place, switch that last setting again to "off road").

Did you know that you can load both topo and city navigation maps in your unit at once if you had the DVD version of the maps and a blank 2G SD card?

I prefer doing that, as it means I can load only what I really need--but more importantly, it avoids having to swap those teensy little cards in and out of the unit. It is only a matter of time until something goes wrong with cards that get taken in and out of the unit. Plus I can use the DVD/CD versions on my computer for route planning.

Thanks for this thread and reply. I just got CN yesterday for my 60csx. Bought a 2gb card also. I'm going to try and load Topo on it as well. I really didn't know that my Topo was loaded on the 128 card that came with my gps'r. Took me awhile to figure out that I had to switch cards to see CN. :ph34r: I really don't understand these things yet. I don't see any good in carrying that other LITTLE card in my JEEP when I need Topo. Theres no way I won't lose it.