Illinois/Missouri Eagle Watching

srwilde

I saw the article, too. I wish I knew where to pick up the co-ords because I'm pretty darn certain the visitor center will be closed on Sunday, which is when I'd like to do the run. Here's the story

A few years ago I went eagle watching by Starved Rock and I also went geocaching in the area. It was by this cache "Bald Eagles":

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b7-f962324fd9c6

I saw the article, too. I wish I knew where to pick up the co-ords because I'm pretty darn certain the visitor center will be closed on Sunday, which is when I'd like to do the run. Here's the story

We have an event this Saturday along the river which has some great Eagle watching spots and a really good place to eat. Details are at - http://coord.info/GC1JYR9

Awesome place to take pics too!

Mike

We have an event this Saturday along the river which has some great Eagle watching spots and a really good place to eat. Details are at - http://coord.info/GC1JYR9

Awesome place to take pics too!

Mike

Thanks! My boss changed my schedule just in time for this, so I can't make it. :unsure: It always works out that way for me. Hopefully I'll get to come to some events soon. I made the run today and got 6 of 12. My son and I got lost in Pierre Marquette or we could have got a couple more. It went something like this...

"Mommy, did you mark the car?...... Mommy?"

Every year, I come from Indy to meet my St Louis sister, and we go play in Alton/Grafton area. Just last Oct we learned that the Winfield Ferry has been permanently closed. What a shame! Winfield is another great place to watch the eagles, as there is a nice lock and dam there, lots of huge old eagle-friendly trees and a viewing platform.

We love to ride the ferries and see the eagles fishing from the ice floes on the rivers. We are making plans for Feb now, and your link to that great article was the stimulus for us to get moving on naming a date and making plans. so thanks!

Alton Illinois is a great place to watch eagles. Sometimes you can see them from GCHXJG but the views are usually better from the Missouri side. Best way to get to the viewing is go to GCQ99K, keep toodling down the road, and take a sharp left past the locks into the parking area. No caches right there, but good vies of the birds as they wheel and dive. We've seen white pelican, canvas backed ducks, bald eagles, great blue heron, grebes, trumpeter swans (70 of them just down the road!) and many other birds. Binocs are a must! And many caches nearby. Though the road to the two Earthcaches at the confluence are closed right now due to flooding.

Also, if you head north into Clarksville, not far from where the slurping soup event was, many, many eagles there, too!

Alton Illinois is a great place to watch eagles. Sometimes you can see them from GCHXJG but the views are usually better from the Missouri side. Best way to get to the viewing is go to GCQ99K, keep toodling down the road, and take a sharp left past the locks into the parking area. No caches right there, but good vies of the birds as they wheel and dive. We've seen white pelican, canvas backed ducks, bald eagles, great blue heron, grebes, trumpeter swans (70 of them just down the road!) and many other birds. Binocs are a must! And many caches nearby. Though the road to the two Earthcaches at the confluence are closed right now due to flooding.

Also, if you head north into Clarksville, not far from where the slurping soup event was, many, many eagles there, too!

A very nice perk to living in rural Osage County, Missouri ... I've seen two bald eagles within the past week, just a mile or so from my home; last year, I was lucky enough to spy a golden eagle swooping on prey at a friend's property. You would think with a half dozen 35mm and digital cameras that I would have one handy for these events ... but no.o.o.o ... :unsure: