MAC GPS

How so?

Works fine on my Mac. I'm still trying to figure out the apps (nice job with the instructions, Garmin! NOT!!!) but it does seem to transfer maps OK. I have both City Navigator and Topo US and I loaded my preferred areas onto my 300 fine on the main memory.

I'm not sure how to select the SD card for loading maps but I just started using it on the Mac. I do have XP available using Fusion which is what I used for previous versions. I may revert to that but I would rather stay Mac native if possible.

How so?

Works fine on my Mac. I'm still trying to figure out the apps (nice job with the instructions, Garmin! NOT!!!) but it does seem to transfer maps OK. I have both City Navigator and Topo US and I loaded my preferred areas onto my 300 fine on the main memory.

I'm not sure how to select the SD card for loading maps but I just started using it on the Mac. I do have XP available using Fusion which is what I used for previous versions. I may revert to that but I would rather stay Mac native if possible.

I can download maps. I want to be able to download geocache waypoints and can't do that. The software disk they provided is not Mac compatible.

How so?

I can download maps. I want to be able to download geocache waypoints and can't do that. The software disk they provided is not Mac compatible.

Oh, well. I have a Vista HCx and it came with a PC disc. I went to the Garmin site and download the RoadTrip software and it's been working fine. No need for a disc, think of it like one of those AOL CD frisbies. The Garmin Communicator Plugin for Mac OS X will work, as well as the map software.

Edited by coggins

I haven't even bothered with the software myself (either on my Mac or my PC). I use GPSBabel to pull down the GPX file (source and destination both set to GPX) because it reformats the XML as it does it. Makes it much easier to edit when it's not all on one line.

I haven't even bothered with the software myself (either on my Mac or my PC). I use GPSBabel to pull down the GPX file (source and destination both set to GPX) because it reformats the XML as it does it. Makes it much easier to edit when it's not all on one line.

Edit? One Line? Please explain what I would be editing. I'm not experienced enough (yet) to know what I'd edit.

To me, it looks like the Garmin software replicates the cache webpage on the GPS unit. Just to confirm, GPSBabel will replicate the webpage and transfer the waypoints to my Garmin 300. Yes? Once transfered I won't need to enter waypoints or copy the cache description.

Thanks for the help and response.

How so?

Oh, well. I have a Vista HCx and it came with a PC disc. I went to the Garmin site and download the RoadTrip software and it's been working fine. No need for a disc, think of it like one of those AOL CD frisbies. The Garmin Communicator Plugin for Mac OS X will work, as well as the map software.

Thanks for the help but it sounds like you guys are downloading maps. I don't need maps, I want Geocache waypoints. Does the RoadTrip software load the geocache waypoints into the GPS unit?

How so?

Thanks for the help but it sounds like you guys are downloading maps. I don't need maps, I want Geocache waypoints. Does the RoadTrip software load the geocache waypoints into the GPS unit?

Yes, RoadTrip does waypoints, tracks and routes. If you don't want those, then keep not using it. Had you clicked on the link to the software download page you could have read that yourself in the first note on the page.

Edited by coggins

Edit? One Line? Please explain what I would be editing. I'm not experienced enough (yet) to know what I'd edit.

To me, it looks like the Garmin software replicates the cache webpage on the GPS unit. Just to confirm, GPSBabel will replicate the webpage and transfer the waypoints to my Garmin 300. Yes? Once transfered I won't need to enter waypoints or copy the cache description.

Thanks for the help and response.

I use the GPS for more than just geocaching. If you use GPSBabel with a GPS like a 76CSx, the software talks to the GPS and allows you to just download the waypoints, or tracks, or routes (or any combination). On the other hand the Colorado (and presumably the Oregon) mount as a USB drive and you can just copy the files on and off (that's how you load pocket queries straight into them too). The problem with that is that the tracks, waypoints and routes are all in a single XML file and all the data is on a single line. It's a plain text file that you can read using a text editor.

The problem is that the things I do ideally need the waypoints and tracks in separate files (and sometimes I even want to manually split a track into pieces). By running the data through GPSBabel first I get the XML in a format that easier to edit.

It's pretty geeky stuff that I'm doing and most people probably wouldn't want to do it quite as manually as me. But GPSBabel is a cross-platform thing so I can run it on the Mac or the PC.

GPS track data + Google Earth can be lots of fun, if you haven't tried it yet. A few months ago I lent my 76CSx to a friend who went paragliding in the south of France. Looking at his track data in Google Earth was fun - especially when we got it to display the track data at the recorded altitude rather than "clamped" to the ground. :)

Edited by Crid