Tips to personalize vista hcx

shahsaeen

Could the owners of vista hcx share tips they use to personalize there units e.g. Backlight duration, at what speed built in compass should be activated, which firmware to get, when to calibrate compass and barometer or not to do it at all. in short how do they recommend new owners to personalize there units? Share your recommendations for a perfect vista hcx experience.

Could the owners of vista hcx share tips they use to personalize there units e.g. Backlight duration, at what speed built in compass should be activated, which firmware to get, when to calibrate compass and barometer or not to do it at all. in short how do they recommend new owners to personalize there units? Share your recommendations for a perfect vista hcx experience.

I'm currently using 2.80/2.80 firmware with good results. Also, using Topo USA 2008 map and MetroGuide NA v7 map "fixed" with MetroGold to autoroute in the GPSr.

I calibrate the compass when I change batteries. Sometimes, but not always, I recalibrate it before heading out caching for the day or when I get close to GZ. I usually keep the compass off to conserve battery life and toggle it on as I get near GZ. I usually do not calibrate the barometer.

Instead of using waypoints or geocache mode, I use custom POIs for caches and load all 3500+ caches and child waypoints for the entire state as POIs. I use waypoint mode for points I add in the field such as projected waypoints and puzzle/multicache solutions.

Don't know if this is "perfect", but these are my current settings:

Display: Auto

Daytime color: Diamond

Nighttime color: Sapphire

Backlight timeout: 15 sec

Backlight level: 15% (there are 3 levels of toggle then: off, 15%, 100%)

Page Sequence: Map, Compass, Turn Preview

Routing guidance: prompted

Routing follow road: prompted

Next turn popup: on

Compass Heading: Degrees

North Reference: True

Switch to compass when below: 3mph

For more than: 15 sec

Compass screen data fields: accuracy, distance to next and location

You MUST hold the GPSr level for the compass to work correctly.

Altimeter Auto calibration: on

Barometer mode: Variable Elevation

Map Setup: North up

Auto zoom: on

Detail: normal

Lock on road: off (this is handled by Routing follow road: prompted)

Map screen data fields: accuracy and distance to next

Saved tracks: auto

Track log: auto

Track points: 3000

goto line: bearing

Map points: 0.2 mi

User waypoints: 0.2 mi

Street label: auto

Land cover: auto

Text size: all medium

Make sure you get a screen protector, use NiMH or Lithium rechargeable batteries, and read this thread about the silly rubber gasket around the eTrex series.

I really like the Vista HCx, it's a great little unit. Unlike most, I like the electronic compass and suspect that many are not using it properly.

Enjoy your Vista, hope this helps, get out there and find some caches.

I really like the Vista HCx, it's a great little unit. Unlike most, I like the electronic compass and suspect that many are not using it properly.

+1 with folks not using the electronic compass correctly. This was the first year using the Vista HCx out hunting and I left it on the whole day with the compass on; 2100 mAh would lasted easily two days. What I found to be the best setting was leave the compass on all the time the switch over threshold set to 10 miles and 45 seconds, so that basically it was on all the time. I carried it vertically in a case on the front of my day pack and when I would pull it out to check coordinates I noticed the compass would always settle out in about twice the time my Burton compass would but was just as accurate.

Edited by Idahogreggory