Puzzle Solving

muetz11c

:wub: I would really like to know where I can get some insight on solving some word puzzles and number puzzles. I must have missed out on that part of my education. I just need a jump start on any tips tricks manuals. Thanks.

Your not alone because I skipped that class as well. I can barely spell puzzle, much less solve one. I'll have to watch this thread and see where it goes. Thanks - CachinSpree

:wub: I would really like to know where I can get some insight on solving some word puzzles and number puzzles. I must have missed out on that part of my education. I just need a jump start on any tips tricks manuals. Thanks.

You live in one of the most creative, and some like me say EEeeeevvvvviiiiillllll, puzzle areas of the world. I know, I live here too.

Puzzles here can be as simple as finding coordinates hidden in the text to as difficult as some of the cyphers used in WWII. As simple as an easy math problem to as difficult as plotting a trip to the moon. You get the idea.

It's not considered polite to give hints here in the forums for other peoples puzzles. I know it's hard, but the best way to do it if you have a question is to email the owner of the puzzle for a hint. Sometimes you'll get it, sometimes not. It depends on the owner.

Good luck.

Happy New Year, muetz11c ...

As you're a very new cacher, have you thought about trying to join forces with one or two other new cachers in your area, following the well-known principle that "two sheep's heads are better than one"?

Perhaps you could try putting a post on your regional forum asking whether anyone local to you would fancy a brain-storming session to solve (or at least get started on) some local puzzles.

I would hope that any Puzzle cache setter would at least reply to a plea for help on one of their own caches - even if the help only amounted to a slight nudge!

Good luck anyway...

MrsB :wub:

Some of the puzzles that I've read make absolutely no sense so I can sympathize with you. A puzzle was posted recently and I have no clue where to begin. When I put a note on the log that I didn't understand what they were even looking for, a few other cachers said that I must have never seen any of the CO's caches and that all the clues I need are there. The hint that showed up didn't make any sense either. I've given up even looking at it. As another cacher in my area says, "If you're not having fun, find another hobby." The frustrating puzzles are not fun for me, so I'll place them on ignore. There are plenty of other caches I haven't found yet.

A good place to begin learning about many different types of puzzles can be found here:

ePeterso2 puzzle caches w/ Puzzle Solving 101 series

It a nice overview of the typical kinds of puzzles out there.

Note: DON'T click on the link if you want to have to figure out everything all by yourself, even where to begin to even think about maybe being able to consider trying the puzzle. :wub:

Edited by Neos2

Here is a new Mystery/Puzzle that is related to the Christmas Caching Puzzle. This next puzzle is a good for new geoacachers because it involves following links on cache pages and profiles and trying to figure out what happened. If you are a new geocacher then you need to have found at least one geocache to be eligible for the prizes available in this Mystery/Puzzle so get out the door and get going so you can be eligible for a nice prize.

There is a link to get you started at the end of the post and you only have to figure out four questions to have a chance to win a nice prize.

Good luck with this one!

It is called a "Nice spot here for a bit of butty munching" and it is a contest to help you learn about trackable items. Have fun.

If you are working on the Christmas Caching Puzzle it will be a good break and some good excersise.

If you are totally stumped on the Christmas Caching Puzzle then stand back and take a good look at my last message in that thread for a clue.

This Mystery/Puzzle will become more challenging as each stage is added.

More prizes may/will be added.

Good Luck.

Can anyone give me direction on solving this?

22 1 75 6 11 17 2 63 53 21 18 43 52 67 99 9 27 3 57 8 74 77 10 31

6 8 84 18 46 53 41 20 81 54 50 28 76 24 78 2 90 90 22 86 48 39

21 14 54 101 2 12 18 4 10 14 9 8 36 69 70 73 74 76 78 67 77 41 65

26 76 79 44 30 10 103 102 51 22 54 74 63 99 73 25 83 7 99 69 70

62 34 23 26 28 48 32 31 35 34 26 33 30 2 37 84 85 1 37 75 58

91 67 28 7 22 51 22 54 85 1 37 75 58 26 28 23 4 13 7 48 14 14

8 7 1 28 17 3 6 18 2 34 22 46 44

As stated before its considered bad form to help solve specific puzzles. I personally filter out puzzle caches. However, since this is the beginner's corner, a couple observations/tings to think about:

1. It's far too long to be a set of coordinates, I would approach it as a transpositon cypher: numbers represent letters.

2. Since the numbers in the set are greater than 26, it's not a simple "A=1" cypher

3. Have you tried viewing the HTML code on the cache page? sometimes clues or keys are hidden there in the comments that don't ordinarailly print

4. What is the theme of the cache? Any mention of numbers?

5. What hapens if you graph the numbers: horizontal axis represents nunmber positon vertical the value of each one. Any pattern emerge?

6. Check the CO's profile. Is a occupation listed?people usually develop puzzles around concepts they are most familiar with.

once you know the soluton the puzzle is usually easier than it seems. If it's not fun go do something else. With 300ish finds I considr myself a NOOB. Looked over a few puzzles, never solved one, and don't think I'm having any less fun.