Make audit log available for all caches

Paradiddle

The only thing I don't like is when a new cache comes out in the e-mail you get there's no way of knowing if it's a PMO cache or not.

I try not to click on them if it is. I'll view them threw GSAK instead. Just to keep off that record. I kind of think people use them to start "witch hunt's" if one goes missing.

Other than that I don't really think about it.

Now what's that one that's on the other side of the country that someone was asked why they where looking at their cache page. I'd like to view that one on-line. :ph34r:

I'm so lost. I don't know what a <3 is.

I try not to click on them if it is. I'll view them threw GSAK instead. Just to keep off that record. I kind of think people use them to start "witch hunt's" if one goes missing.

I hope you don't mind me singling you out but I'd like to how you have come to this conclusion that this is what "people" do.

How do you draw a conclusion that a cache was stolen by a fellow cacher as opposed to being muggled? From that point, how do you proceed to choose who you accuse of theft?

When a cache was tampered with by a fellow caching team, I had no idea who it was and nobody could help me. The cache itself (inner container with logbook) was left behind and the outer housing was stolen with a nasty note left behind. There was no motive for anyone to do anything against us. Nothing matched the name that was left... no audit log, no member names, nothing. How would I go about accusing random people of being a part of this mischevious team? It was impossible. As far as I figure, it was someone who hated caches in cemeteries or someone who was just generally a maggot.

So, for me who knew it was a cacher who tampered with my cache hide, the audit log could not be used to begin a witch hunt. I couldn't form any committees or put any local cachers on trial. I couldn't hang anybody or force them to repent before burning them at the stake. Nope. Not only was I not able to do a full-scale Cotton Mather witch hunt, I didn't even send a message that asked about my cache hide that could be easily ignored by whoever received the message. No burnings and not even any moments of slight inconvenience.

Now, if there's some Hatfield/McCoy cacher feud going on, there's little that an audit log will do to prove or disprove tampering. One side will always suspect the other and that's all there is to it. So, in that scenario, an audit log is irrelevant.

Unless you can explain how an audit log can be used as effective evidence to accuse fellow cachers of tampering with caches, I really only see the benefits of having them with a contrast of mostly harmless negatives to argue. The idea of a "witch hunt" is ominous and emotive, which is misleading to what can actually happen when a cacher suspects foul play in the disappearance of a hide. Not only does it give people the misapprehension that accusations comparable to witch hunts are even possible in this game, it implicates audit logs as having any useful purpose to such an irrational and implausible event.

Audit logs are a neat little web-feature. Nothing more, nothing less.

So, please let me know how this web-feature that generates a "viewed page" list can somehow become a gateway to angry accusations, prejudiced trials and stake burning without involving a tremendous departure from logical thought and mature reason (at which point the problem isn't the audit logs).

Unless you can explain how an audit log can be used as effective evidence to accuse fellow cachers of tampering with caches, I really only see the benefits of having them with a contrast of mostly harmless negatives to argue. The idea of a "witch hunt" is ominous and emotive, which is misleading to what can actually happen when a cacher suspects foul play in the disappearance of a hide. Not only does it give people the misapprehension that accusations comparable to witch hunts are even possible in this game, it implicates audit logs as having any useful purpose to such an irrational and implausible event.

So, please let me know how this web-feature that generates a "viewed page" list can somehow become a gateway to angry accusations, prejudiced trials and stake burning without involving a tremendous departure from logical thought and mature reason (at which point the problem isn't the audit logs).

(Must be an Eastern Iowa thing)

I'm still not clear how knowing who viewed my cache can be beneficial. Seriously, open ears.

And yes I am quite sure that there have been people looking to know who viewed their cache in the attempt to protect their caches from thieves. And I agree, it doesn't work.

Let's talk about the benefits for expanding the feature.

(Must be an Eastern Iowa thing)

I'm still not clear how knowing who viewed my cache can be beneficial. Seriously, open ears.

And yes I am quite sure that there have been people looking to know who viewed their cache in the attempt to protect their caches from thieves. And I agree, it doesn't work.

Let's talk about the benefits for expanding the feature.

I can't see a reason of expanding this feature beyond PMO caches. I think a lot of people like PMO cache features like this one, but they won't make a PMO cache because they have some hangup against PMO caches. I actually wish the audit logs could be viewed by all PMOs on PMO caches and not just the cache owner. It would some FTF races and cache series more amusing. Edited by TrailGators

I honestly had forgotten about the Audit Log even being available for my PMO caches until this thread.

The only time I remember using it was when I put out a new cache (obviously a PMO cache) and watched to see how quickly various FTF hounds in my area viewed it. And then watching to see how long it took for them to find it. Not a really big benefit. And only applicable to new PMO caches.

Other than that, I really have no use for it. If someone can enlighten me, please do so. But, just because I don't use it doesn't mean it should be deleted. If others enjoy this feature, it's fine by me.

Maybe to see who looks at it versus actually finding it (or DNFing it!). Maybe to guage if a cache is popular or not. Of course, remote caches won't get looked at too much anyway.

I've sometimes wondered why certain individuals look at a cache dozens of times. Only reason I know of is to see who else logged it and what their comments were. That's fine by me too.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Believe me, reviewers DO know how to view a cache page without showing in the audit log. They do it all the time.

12/15/2008 11:24 AM 12/15/2008 (reviewer name hidden) 1

hmm... You Sure!?

Because something can be done, doesn't mean it's always done.

All cache pages are (obviously) viewed by reviewers prior to being published. You may or may not see that reflected in the audit log. Feel free to try it.

Believe me, reviewers DO know how to view a cache page without showing in the audit log. They do it all the time.

12/15/2008 11:24 AM 12/15/2008 (reviewer name hidden) 1

hmm... You Sure!?

In the last few minutes, a certain reviewer looked at all 8 of your MO caches, including 1 that hasn't been published yet. I'll bet you don't see anything in the audit logs.

I really must agree. I want desperately to see who is viewing my caches, and not just my members only caches. I have caches in two towns, and in one town, all the caches are members only, and the other town, all of them aren't members only. In the second town, most of the cachers are not paid members, so if I want my caches visited, that is the step I have to take. Obviously I'm still alive without it, but it would be really nice.

I have caches in two towns, and in one town, all the caches are members only, and the other town, all of them aren't members only. In the second town, most of the cachers are not paid members, so if I want my caches visited, that is the step I have to take.

It's a sad thing to think that people only cache in their own towns. :)