Help please - Warning: Newbie asking a question...

The Lemonheads

OK, so I got a TomTom One 130 for Christmas - AWESOME! And, I can guarantee I shall never get lost again, on the roads! (I've got the NA maps version: CDA and US maps.)

Now, I know this sounds "muggle-like" so I apologize ahead of time, but I am looking for some clarifications. To be clear when I go Geocaching, all I need to do is input the coordinates (as indicated in the cache info) into the GPS and then ask it to find the "walking route", right?

Next question is a little more, um, ignorant?? :D Will the GPS know that I need to take a path instead of crossing the river? (I mean, it's winter time now, so brr... I'll go across the water in the summer.)

And, one last - silly question - :D

The coordinates provided in the Geocache info are not specifically exact, are they? And, if they're not, they're off by, what, say 1km or less? Just want to know what to expect... I'd go even if the radius was 50 square kms, but I'd just like to know before I head out.

OK, there were all my stupid questions... next time (and with your help), I hope to be able to post a successful cache retrieval! :D

Thanks!

Judi (chief lemonhead)

Those are good questions. Never be afraid to ask.

Paths are not programmed into the gps, so it will show you the straight line approach to the cache.

From a review of the Tomtom130

[You need to choose] the route type from the following options: Fastest route, Shortest route (for motor vehicles), Avoid highways, Walking route (i.e. the shortest route, ignoring all traffic rules and excluding highways), Bicycle route (i.e. the shortest route obeying traffic rules but still excluding highways), or Limited speed (the quickest route for a vehicle of limited top speed, i.e. many road types are equally preferred, apart from highways).

The gps units should get you in the general vicinity of the cache--say within 30 feet. The units vary and some are more dependable than others but my hand held usually gets me to within 15 feet of the cache, so I start looking around for a good hiding spot when it says I am about 20 feet away.

Welcome to geocaching. We'll be waiting for that retrieval report.

Edited by Neos2

I doubt seriously that the Walking Route will know all of the paths in the forest. Once you get to the part where you park your car, make the distance you are from the cache go down, and hopefully following the bearing arrow. Also - put down the GPS and just enjoy the walk. :D

Will the GPS know that I need to take a path instead of crossing the river?
Sometimes, figuring out that your GPS says it's 50 feet away on the OTHER side of the river is part of the fun.

The coordinates provided in the Geocache info are not specifically exact, are they?
They are as exact as you can get - hopefully. GPS units are pretty accurate within about 30 feet, so figure that your unit may be off by 30 feet, and that the hider may be off by 30 feet - so in a worst-case scenario you'd be 60 feet away from where the cache is. Usually I find it within about 15-20 feet of where my GPS says the coordinates are.

Also, once you're within 40-50 feet, put the GPS down and look around for an "UPS" (Unnatural Pile of Sticks) or think to yourself "Where would *I* hide a cache here?" and you'll probably find it.

OK, so I got a TomTom One 130 for Christmas - AWESOME! And, I can guarantee I shall never get lost again, on the roads! (I've got the NA maps version: CDA and US maps.)

Now, I know this sounds "muggle-like" so I apologize ahead of time, but I am looking for some clarifications. To be clear when I go Geocaching, all I need to do is input the coordinates (as indicated in the cache info) into the GPS and then ask it to find the "walking route", right?

That's the procedure for the Garmin nuvi, which is what I use. However, the Garmin is pretty high end - I'm not sure about the TomTom.

Next question is a little more, um, ignorant?? :wub: Will the GPS know that I need to take a path instead of crossing the river? (I mean, it's winter time now, so brr... I'll go across the water in the summer.)

Depends on how you set it - my nuvi can be set to look for roads only (automobile mode) or paths only (pedestrian). The nuvi can find main trails, but little trails are a complete mystery to it. Just for grins, I once took the nuvi to George Washington's estate at Mount Vernon, Virginia, and it showed one big green blob where the estate is - no trails showed up.

And, one last - silly question - ;)

The coordinates provided in the Geocache info are not specifically exact, are they? And, if they're not, they're off by, what, say 1km or less? Just want to know what to expect... I'd go even if the radius was 50 square kms, but I'd just like to know before I head out.

OK, there were all my stupid questions... next time (and with your help), I hope to be able to post a successful cache retrieval! :)

Thanks!

Judi (chief lemonhead)

They're off, but not by THAT much - usually about 60 feet max, in my own limited experience.

Besides, you didn't sound stupid - you sounded very intelligent, in fact. Better to get the facts first, then geocache, instead of blundering about and making a fool of yourself.

Welcome to Geocaching.

Next question is a little more, um, ignorant?? :wub: Will the GPS know that I need to take a path instead of crossing the river? (I mean, it's winter time now, so brr... I'll go across the water in the summer.)

Hey welcome to caching and Happy New Year-as for wondering about crossing the water or not,be sure and look at the map on the geocaching.com site and they will show you which side of the river,creek etc. that the cache is located so you can plan your "attack",lol.Have fun-thats the main thing,enjoy life!

Don't forget to check the satellite view on the website before trying the cache. Often it will be able to show you exactly where the cache is. There are folks that cache based on that alone without using a GPS.

Satellite view? Did I miss something; I don't recall seeing a satellite view in the cache infos I was looking at... Is it a feature available to Premium Members only?

Don't forget to check the satellite view on the website before trying the cache. Often it will be able to show you exactly where the cache is. There are folks that cache based on that alone without using a GPS.

Satellite view? Did I miss something; I don't recall seeing a satellite view in the cache infos I was looking at... Is it a feature available to Premium Members only?

When you are on the cache page, use the View Map function. On the top of the map, one of the options is Satellite view. I don't think it's a premium function. I cached for a while before noticing it myself. Only way I found it was seeing logs mentioning it.

Also, as much as you want to, wait until you find about 50-100 caches before hiding one. You will see various types of caches and will better know what works and what doesn't. This time of year sees a lot of caches that disappear after a few finds, because the cacher was a newbie and put it in a place where muggles easily find it.You will also see what types of containers work (altoids tins are not waterproof and neither are gladware)

Remember if there is a clear area in a city, it is clear of caches for a reason. Look up caches in Compton (LA, California) and zoom out to see a nice clear spot :) .